visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• Very nice! I also think the needles would collect more in the lower portion of the roof valley due to being washed down.
  • Bryan- the pine needles on the forge roof would also explain the rot and repairs. The roof really did come out very well.
  • Wiring has commenced. Lights are installed and wires routed throughout. I'm using this handy support that I got from Alex. A most helpful tool. I did change my battery choice to a 9V vs 4xAA. Gives me more room to work but I didn't cut my recess deep enough. I'll make up the difference on rubber feet on the bottom of the base. Next up: wire in the switches and mount to the base.FE5FC8CD-3BC0-43E0-A414-9B55D3FB1FC3
    22027273-8548-4E0F-A40C-F47E2C438F29
  • Wonderful roof details Bryan...the above pics...hmmm..uh...Mom!...
  • Bryan, i found some large clear rubber feet at home depot. They're a very soft rubber and grip really well. I think they were about 1/2" tall or so and about 1/2" diameter. I used them for a similar reason.
  • back to playing around with the roof. I darkened the pine needles but I think I can go another shade darker based on these prototypes. Adding some texture variety helps also.
    D3CD7029-8845-4A3D-82B1-3F55936D8DC4
    8B728EC8-6DE4-4A7F-A261-528C11E18DF9
    15333A4D-28DD-4C5C-B0B9-AA4721D0D8F8
    AddAA491D19-EB4F-42EB-B9E1-F0D5C01CCC14

• Yep, darker will blend with rest of roof. Like the leaves.
  • Yes darker. Love the seedling sprouting. Those needles have been there a while!
  • From what it sounds like, the first reference photo would be the most applicable? Structure buried within a heavily wooded area? Glad you were able to find those photos, i would not have thought there would be build up like that...

But, then again- i live in dallas and we have nearly zero old trees :smiley:
  • The second picture is what I'm used to. The pine needles you have in the middle are closer to what I would expect to see. The lighter color looks more like straw. Phil
  • The dark is working well, amazing details
  • Thanks guys. Made some more progress today. Photos to come.

My static grass applicator broke again today. Think it's time for a new one. I'm looking at the one Robert suggested. The grass turned out OK but it was working intermittently. I'll let the glue dry and brush it out then decide tomorrow if it stays or if I need a miniature lawn mower and start over.
  • brownbr said:

I'm looking at the one Robert suggested.

I am doing the same-! Whatever you do... don't watch any youtubes on it.... just don't (it will make the wait that much more difficult).
  • I ordered the RTS 55kV on 12/9/2020 from the Netherlands. It is still not here. Been chomping for it to arrive!! Soon I hope.
  • Alex and Emery. I went shopping with the intention of getting the 35k and ended up with the overkill option of the 55k. Just couldn't help myself. Hopefully it won't take the long way around the globe to get to me. I'll wait to do any further landscaping until it arrives.

Removing static grass is not hard in case you ever need to do it. I used a sanding stick to cut some walking paths through a field of grass on my layout. Works great.
  • Here's the update photos promised yesterday. Got some well lit shots outdoors.

Color on the pine needles ended up just right. On the photo of the Bates Steel Mule posted earlier I noticed a handle and latch on the engine compartment. I added them to 1 side (lost the other side set)...looking at the photo of the side of this Bates shows me that the handle broke off. Super small and fragile. I went with a darker dirt tone than I normally do. Presumably it rained yesterday and there are still a few puddles in the gravel driveway.

The rack out back answers Ricks question earlier about roof repair. The supplies are on hand, but the guys never seem to get around to it.

The grass did not turn out horribly but a lot of it is not standing up the way I want. When the fancy new applicator arrives I will likely redo this area.

FECC2485-AB10-4D24-8A70-E68F7B301A3E
    A45133F5-1F42-45F2-87FD-4969F71B4E74
    B4947319-A8B3-4A6D-8B48-2526182DAD1C
    458FCFC2-C6EF-4CA6-A141-02131F71ED9C

B6D491FA-6464-41F2-80FA-4858484AB874
    F5200A48-6812-4D17-92ED-2BB97739046A
    A3AF9BE2-C497-4A2A-9B18-E0ABF1F37348
    1A9050D8-A943-43FA-AB06-78E025B87ED9
  • Brian, this turned out great! Love the details out back and the crane is a nice addition.
  • Thst's really well done Bryan. The trees are wonderful.

Are the track marks still visible? I saw them a couple posts ago.
  • Great texture and colour on the roof. Really pops when you take the pictures outside.
  • EmeryJ and Brownbr will you please let us know how the RTS55kv applicator works when you get them.
  • Bryan,

Incredible texture! Outstanding color rendition and contrast! Bravo! Your level of detail just kicked the bar up a few more notches. What was once the "high jump" in modeling has now begun to look more like a pole vault.
    For SWSM forum members it is a great thing that you still have a stash of more kits to build. If possible, it might be interesting to see the evolution of the current build of a kit juxtaposed to the earlier build of the same kit.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Bryan, this is just great. The pine straw turned out great as well. As Dave says, you really have a way with textures and contrasts and details. I've always loved the way you put your touch on each of these kits. Great job. Phil
  • Oh to see new rolled roofing just sitting on the rack. Great little detail. So many around this build. Exceptional modeling Bryan. I'm sure no one can find all the little scenarios with so many, but that is what makes it so incredibly realistic. Pine needles, WOW!...Rick
  • I agree with Rick and the others, fantastic diorama. Well done.
  • Thanks guys. The variety in texture and mini-scenes is what I have learned from watching the modelers on this site.

Alex, some of the track marks are still visible but some were lost to the gravel and going under the Cat.
  • Superb work Bryan. I absolutely love the roof and added details... scenery is awesome as well.
  • Very nicely done.

Jerry
  • Killer Bryan!...wonderful scene construction and finish.
  • Thank you.

Oh Ken...master of detail, doctor of grunge...don't call this one finished quite yet. Still lots to do.
  • Nah...I meant finish work on your details...I know you have some additional puttering to wrap this one up...anxious to see this piece in its final present!