visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• I agree Dave. Can't wait to get some of those. Still lots to do with fine details in this area. Those would look great in there.
  • Bryan,

I like to think of you as "the denizen of detail." Your work has always been inspirational. Contest level modeling at its best. A quick cursory look is fine to begin with but then a close observer gets sucked in to savor all the fine details in a vignette within a scene.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Dave. Thats a very nice thing to say. Your check is in the mail. Don't try tracking it.
  • Great interior details...
  • Bryan,

How did you do the rusted out drum? Sand through a casting?
  • Indeed, Bryan, great work on the details... again :smiley:
  • Alex, that drum was a partial fill resin casting. I bought some years ago from a guy who found a way to make money on his casting mistakes. I wish I had bought more because he hasn't sold them since. There were metal and wood barrels in the bunch. The first pic shows them unfinished followed by placement in scene. I've really enjoyed using them.

Thanks Robert. I was reviewing your build yesterday while I worked on the roof panels. Should have something to show later today.

1E8684ED-A171-4A83-8AB9-298C558364D2
    8DBD1393-23FB-4CA0-B2FD-FDBFCC08E7DB
    C8CF3506-D4F6-446A-9637-8FCFD823C4B6
    BA6AB3A9-FF4B-4842-B01F-18B2FE0315BB
  • what a lucky find. that'd be nice if someone else make some money on casting mistakes. there's actually a market for them....
    they look great.
  • You are right Kevin. I previously emailed the first pick to a certain you-know-who a while back.

2 roof panels are close to being done. The first pic shows the area that will be under a tree branch. I darkened it and put some scratch line where the tree branch would be moving back and forth in the wind. Trying to decide now on whether to try adding moss. It makes sense to me but it has to be right. I'll probably give it a try on a test piece before glueing anything down.

I have found a new appreciation for my HO friends skills. I decided to shingle the tractor repair roof. For no other reason than I think it will look good. Kevin sent me some specs on the shingles he is using for his Idaho Hotel. But I decided to make the shingles using HO scale 1X material. Boy that stuff is thin! It's all grained and stained just need to start making shingles. I hope I calculated my needs right because I don't want to grain and stain any more HO stripwood...until the next roof. In O scale the shingles will be scale 4,5 & 6" wide and 18-24" long. They will be about scale 1/2" thick. Should look about right.B62F945B-92CA-4AA4-AC2E-83D4FBD4B0E5
    A795ADB1-E278-4D15-81C9-34E5F5265ABC
    37F125DF-826B-45A7-B29E-E8B5A442DFB5
  • Those casting "mistakes" are the PERFECT junk. I can see many applications for them.
    Namely burning barrels with fire flickering LEDs installed. Nice scene with a bunch of hobos gathered around it.
  • My neighbor buddy is always wanting to help with something on the RR. He is a dentist, so I think I will turn him loose on a couple drums to see if he can do his magic with a drill.
  • that'd be great bryan. i've seen many many barrels in that condition, and they would look great in certain applications.
  • Emery, if you try that I might suggest using barrels that are not solid. Tichy, Tamiya and Grandt all have styrene barrels that would be easier to work with than solid resin.
  • good point
    i might have to order some, but i doubt that i'd be able to make them look as good as yours.
  • I tried a few different products/methods for moss and I think I have a winner. Now the question is can I make it look realistic. My favorite is the blob spanning the tape line. It is ground up foam that was glued in place then painted an appropriate color.1B901865-7A56-45B1-A212-C5A14200D60F
    F0080179-05CD-4047-9ABF-1B8C053AC65F
  • Roof is really great. I agree the moss in the center looks best.
  • Yup...center "blob"!
  • Ditto. Phil
  • Going Once,
    Going Twice,
    Sold!
    We've got a winner.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

• edited December 2020

Love the owl. Nice work
  • This is a real beautiful job of modeling. Fantastic job.
  • Thanks all. I do plan on adding the moss. And that might be up next.

I did the tractor repair section of the roof different than the main roof. I took the look of Dave Revelia's roof and matched it more to the other roof and this is what I got. E78A169E-C455-4EB6-9E44-1548E1E137D4
    9E4751BE-D05D-460E-8D87-CBDD9040B4DB
    BCCB11BE-0EE0-4FF5-898E-72CB0A7C22CC
    822DB8FE-D7AF-4A33-82CA-1882CFD0593A
  • Wow! That is impressive. Really good looking multi-repairs. No money spent here for long term service....Rick
  • Nice and grungy looking. Nice work.
  • that looks fantastically shitty. very believable cruddiness everywhere. i love it.
  • I have to ditto Kevin’s comment. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Phil
  • Great stuff. Love the rotting barrels and roof.
  • Bryan. The roof came out very well.
  • roof looks fabulous!
  • Thanks guys.

Rick, I'm not sure if its a lack of money or lack of motivation for the repairs. We'll have to judge the LP workers and see.

From now on I will be shooting for fantastically shitty in presentations.

Working on a metal roof cap now for the semi-shingled portion of roof. Will go with wood for other section.