visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• Thanks Terry.

Temporary placement of the trees to get a feel for the scenes. I added a couple of dead vines to the tree on the right. I made the low area near the tracks a wet area with greenery, a rusted metal barrel and a rotten wood barrel. Water to come.

A7C87667-FCAF-4DE3-955A-3BC7C9278B71
    D68A8CA9-F1EF-4F20-851D-E72927E000AB
    2904C2EB-7416-4F8F-B3BE-50357EC0FD39
    731E9769-AE12-4E0D-A335-6167075D6A49
    C97F813C-0E95-4C0F-BC1B-C0A7983CB126
    CA07EE98-1EB0-4836-916C-3507A3B92464
  • Looking great...love the trees.
  • engine909 said:

I an encouraged to attempt some scenery.
    Right know I am freezing in Florida. Cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Stupidity rules. 52 degrees.

its 55 here today. seems pretty warm, but its all relative.

• Bryan- would you post a photo of the yellow paint you used please.
  • thanks Ken. The owl was an invitation for you to put a squirrel on your power lines.

Ed, coldest day of the fall here today. Got to freezing last night. Kind of early for us but not for Chicago.

Alex. I used this product for the first time. Had good results. Robert tried to convince me I needed an airbrush some time ago. He is right, but I couldn't justify the cost at the time. Maybe one of these days.

1EBDD519-05DC-4F46-B87B-16C6A2A8F987
  • Bryan, fantastic stuff, so much to take in.
  • Great looking trees !!! I like greens and plants and flowers on a diorama. And the OWL ! :smiley:
  • Love the trees, really adds that extra detail to the diorama.
  • Thanks guys. I think they are happy trees.

Kidding aside, I was experimenting with pine cones yesterday so Brett's 3D printer post today was timely. I found these little buds on a dwarf spruce. You can get a feel for the size of them next to the casting in the container. I tried one on a tree but found that they look oversized (they are about 4"x8" scale) and lack detail. Covering the tree in these will take away from the tree not add to it I think. Looking forward to seeing what Brett comes up with.

B18349C4-FA8A-4420-A021-89BB945A4C0B
    D73C09F1-45D8-4296-82A9-FB292D5B6367
  • What about rice grains?...giving them texture might be challenging...
  • Good idea Ken. Tried it already and you are right about the texture. Cut the grain in half and its the right size. Even when painted it doesn't look right. Better to not do it than to have it not look right.
  • I used poppy seeds, but this is more applicable to HO. Phil
  • How much does a 2nd hand electron microscope cost?
  • I get a kick out of seeing miniature art displayed with a magnifier attached.

Got the lampshades put together. It's a fiddly process but worth the effort. Start with stamped shades and .025 stainless tube. Cut the tube to length by putting in pin vise, snug down the chuck without crushing the tube, and cut with a very fine razor saw. Take the shaded and poke a hole in the cone then run a .026 drill bit through. I use the pick to try to flare out one end of the tube just a bit. Slide the large shade onto the unflared end and hopefully it stops at the flared end. Put a tiny bit of superglue on the top of the cone where it meets the tube. Try not to let any get on the underside where it will clog up the hole of the tube. If so, it can be drilled out...I also make a couple extras in each batch...lesson learned. After the glue is completely dry, repeat for the other end which is a ceiling/wall cap. You can see in the photos that a couple of the small ones are not quite square. Not to worry, these will straighten out when they get attached to the ceiling/wall. For the goose neck, I slowly rolled the tube around a drill bit...maybe around 3/16". After I was satisfied with the shape I put in the pin vise and cut it off.

Tomorrow I will thread the wiring into the tubes and give a coat of brown primer. Priming the wires helps hide them in the structure. I just put a small piece of painter's tape on each end so I know which wire is which. A couple other tips on wiring with magnet wire (other lessons learned): Twist the wire for the full length of the wire. It's much easier to work with inside the building and tie a knot in the end of the wire so they don't get mixed up when wiring to the board.

More tomorrow.1C2656E3-24F8-42C5-BBF9-C085DC1FCB50
    E4F5B0FA-D861-4747-9E90-841640FEF37E
    6E030C1D-9F7A-49C5-8A94-ED51B6101643
  • Bryan, I have all the same stuff as in these pics, but never could get the bends to work right. Kept kinking or crushing it. Wasted many a tubes. I finally gave up and ordered the dam things. It may be really cool to show how you got these to actually bend decently. Saving all my parts for the simple drop down versions that I can't hardly ass up.
  • Emeryl, I have made the gooseneck lamps in HO scale. I have the jig from Ngineering. I threaded a wire thru the tube before I did any bending.
  • I saw that one from Ngineering for HO. Tried 3D printing few different designs for O scale. It was a disaster, so I cut my losses in time and effort. EvansDesigns is very reasonable and good people.
  • Those look wonderful !
  • Thanks guys.

Emory, to get the bend right I hold the tube tight against a round object. I used a drill bit with a 1/4" shank for this bend but I have used a 1/4" threaded bolt as well. The bolt was easier because I used 2 together almost like a vise to hold the tube in place but I can't seem to find them right now. so your thumb will take the place of the 2nd bolt.

Hold the tube tight in place (perpendicular) against the shank of your round object with your thumb. Keep a little bit hanging to one side with the long end to the other. With the other thumb press and roll the tube around the round object. You are basically pressing it into place not trying to bend it. It will take the shape of the round object without crushing or kinking. When you are happy with first bend, reposition your round object and get your 2nd bend using same process. Not as easy as a jig but it works.

Stephen is right about putting the wire in before bending. It is easier to do but it's not impossible to do after it is bent as long as you twist the wires.

Speaking of wires, my new spool of magnet wire is a tangled mess and is unusable. I ordered more so wiring is on a temporary hold.
  • Technical wizardry!
  • Thanks Bryan. Appreciate the help.
  • I'll get some pics when I pick the wiring back up Emery.
  • Been working on the interior and the roof. Still lots to do but I'll need the interior mostly finished before wiring and the roof over the main structure completed before the rest of the landscaping can proceed. The roof will be removable but the far right panel that is under the tree branch will be fixed in place.

I'd like to find some pics of a roof, or other wooden structure that is stained by years of pine tar accumulation for that back corner of the right roof panel. If you have any, post them here.

C1485400-F600-44A2-9F0E-0D658D091EF3
    1705F71B-3472-48A8-8C40-70585B178199
    6D46298A-1B06-4416-9E2A-9C78178C871C
  • Wow.... that looks great
  • Unbelievable work. Such detail!!! Phil
  • Love it Bryan. I really like the air tank on the wheelbarrow style cart. Gonna have to "appropriate" that idea!
  • The newspaper on the chair and the drawing on the slanted desktop say that someone was just here and will be back soon. That’s really neat.
  • Thanks guys. I have the right figure who just left the chair I think.

Brett, the compressor seemed right. I'm sure you will make a better version. This casting was a bit muddy. I was thinking that a fire extinguisher on wheels might work in this scene also.
  • excellent idea!
  • edited December 2020
    Bryan,

Those drafting tools that Brett recently tantalized us with should help make the scene with the chair and drafting table even more detailed. Dynamite scene! Creativity abounds.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/923/BZO36F6YEV0Z.png
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/255/IJRJ6NU445LL.jpg

Later Dave S. Tucson