visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• Thanks everyone for the input. I do plan to make some elevation changes...subtle ones, no cliffs or anything. I've decided to have the structure with a slight angle like version B and am now toying around with the exact placement. 2 hitches I keep running into are the placement of a possible hill near the big opening of the tractor repair side. Also, where can the AH&D boiler go...or does it even fit. Even though this configuration is the same square inches as the pilot model, it presents some different challenges in regards to these 2 hitches.

Ken, I'm trying to facilitate both a slight angle and topography changes. Rise in the back to drop in front is what I'm after.

Dave, I broke down and ordered a collapsable table-top photo booth which is scheduled to arrive today along with my diorama case. I'll use it to finalize this decision over the weekend in between softball games.

I'll also do a product review in a different thread. I think this might solve a lot of my problems with taking better shots.
  • As promised the photo booth and dio case arrived today. I put it together for a couple quick shots.

The likely orientation is the first set of pics from the front then the top. An alternate is to move the structure left and put the tractor and boiler on the right. I think this is a bit out of balance but could work with a tall tree in the back right corner.

E5331A99-1A72-44F1-A539-166025F47C8D
    4A6A1F70-7F3C-4CBF-B935-CDB9797CB007
    11DE1161-5932-40C2-AE96-81E0ADD0CA16
  • Bryan, Looks very nice. I tend to prefer the arrangement in the top two photos but I have no doubt that you will once again come away with a very compelling diorama.
    Can you tell us a little bit more about your diorama cases please.
    Thanks very much and will be following your progress,
    Best,
    --Paul
  • brownbr said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I do plan to make some elevation changes...subtle ones, no cliffs or anything. I've decided to have the structure with a slight angle like version B and am now toying around with the exact placement.

What about a railroad tie retaining Wall?

That's what i'm kind of pondering when i get to the layout point your at.
  • I like you thinking Alex. I've been thinking low retaining wall to the right of the tracks from the beginning.
  • It's semi-official now. I cut out a base in 1" foam and added the relief. Small hill in rear, sloping down towards viewer and small cutout on right for retaining wall. I'll dress the sides with some strip styrene then paint those black. Tape them up to protect as best possible then paint the base a nice dirt color. This way I only have to touch up the black dressing once everything is done and the ground cover will blend seamlessly into the edge.

I used a hot knife on the areas that look melted and may lower the hill slightly.

C5AA1E8D-D6C6-4902-9743-9662748A0715
    25821B14-B98D-4EFB-86DE-29FFC727A90A
  • Bryan,

I like what you are doing. As you saw on my mine, adding topography really adds to the diorama. It will be very interesting how you do this. I'll be following closely. Phil
  • looking good...
  • Looks great.
  • pulling up a chair to learn something here....
  • I like where you are heading...
  • Thanks guys.

The base is prepped now. The painter tape is covering the edging. I used styrene to edge the base and painted black. The last step of the whole project will be to remove the tape and touch up the black.

I laid the rail and floor and installed a retaining wall. My first thought was to have the rail heads the same height as the floor boards. I was running into some technical difficulties with this approach and went with the rail on top of the floor.

After this was complete, I painted the foam base with my favorite "dirt" colored paint and sprinkled with real dirt. Let dry and brush it off.

I installed a pair of styrene tubes as wire conduits and carved a place for the batteries and electronics below.

I believe I will work on some more castings while I think about how I want the roof to look...either same all over or 2 different materials suggesting the tractor bay was an add-on.

93803179-9E1C-49B9-B202-AB80079DCB88
    6A3B3C9B-27B6-477D-85C7-B75BEC74D459
    E0DC6F51-27E7-4D17-929A-CDA33403A75E
    4F9D1D95-4669-436B-8131-FF7DBA69F0A5
    FEF44A28-2701-415F-8019-35541CCE9A29
    89E22896-338A-4CBE-A389-D6CE41B40A20
  • edited November 2020
    Bryan,

The base for the diorama is looking great so far. I especially like the cribbing in the retaining wall in this photo:
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/062/HZ3QD0G8MRDZ.png
    A nice authentic detail.

Later, Dave S. Tucson,AZ
  • Bryan, your base work is really looking great. I use the same approach with paint and dirt as my base. I then layer on the scenery to this base. I'm sure you will do the same. Great work. Phil
  • Coming together. Looking good........Rick
  • Nice track work !!
  • Love where you are going with this. Dio base looks awesome. When the base comes out this well I can only imagine what the finished dio will look like! Thanks as always for sharing your work with us.
  • I like where this is going
  • Thanks all. Brett, I hope to do this kit justice with this diorama. I have a few surprises in mind. We'll see how many of them make the cut.

The resin details are in various states of completion. A few are ready to show and I'm starting to get the feel for the photo booth. Still a bit more to learn with it.

CB21FAF9-2071-4731-B85A-744CF2F6CBDE
    6D23D7C3-FDE9-48AE-98C9-4881D9DB8261
    06FB0623-69B8-4A74-B343-8D3F7A613502
    2A6B38A0-C4C8-4302-B59A-83437C332338
    BE4C30C9-750E-45EE-8CBE-57778F257A69
    B9123B82-EDFC-495F-83F6-66C4A8D83696
  • Super work on the castings and the photography.
  • Loved the first pic and the drawings on the table. Very, very nice work.
  • Outstanding, the details come to life !
  • Bryan,

Super natural looking details. I especially like the oily rag in the first photo and the rusty steel drums. These very subtle touches will really make a scene come to life. Thanks for sharing these photos. Nice to read that you are getting more comfortable with the new photo booth.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • The castings are fantastic. I don't know how you could make them any better. Great job. Phil
  • Bryan, Details turned out just GREAT! Really looking forward to the completed diorama.
  • Bryan, I've always struggled with the box full of parts. Can you tell me your approach to painting them. It appears you may paint all of the parts black and then come in with a dry brush of the metal paints. Is that what you do? Just curious. Phil
  • Good Question Phil. Bryan is quite a good teacher so I also am anxious to read his reply.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Phil, are you referring to the box of discarded parts? I'll walk through how I did that and will do a more detailed walk through on the next batch I do which will be soon. I'll start with the lathe since I'm working on that now.

I start by priming all the castings....wood gets tan, metal gets dark brown.

For the parts bin, I did the wood first using the step by step I did here: http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1052/kit-312-truck-repair-shop/p1

For the metal junk, I picked 4 metalic colors: blackened steel, oily steel, adamantium, tarnished brass (pick your favorites). I painted individual pieces a variety of colors...you don't have to be neat with this step. let it dry. Give a wash with AK track wash and let sit 15ish minutes then go over with brush wet with mineral spirits. This will take some of the rust off the top and wash some down in the cracks...both good things. Let dry. Dip a paper stomp into some dark steel pigments, tap most of it off then rub it all over the tops of the metal parts.

That's it.
  • I see all the nice work areas that you all have and then I see this after painting a few castings. :weary:

1563DF44-DEBC-4DCC-8CA3-F6B851BFE7B3
  • The window looks like it’s raining outside
    Terry