visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• Fantastic detailing Bryan, wonderful work, figures are very naturally posed.
  • Thanks guys. I do love my LP. To Karl's point, I am pleased with their placement in the scenes, just want to make more believable faces next time. I find that most figures in this scale lack good facial details so it's important to add the shadows and highlights to the faces to simulate the missing detail. I did have some fun adding things like paper to the foreman's clipboard and adding newspaper print to the guy lounging on the critter.

I added a toolbox and a tarp for the guy laying on the gravel. Kind of felt sorry for him. Also added the wheeled fire extinguisher yesterday. As mentioned, I will get final photos taken outdoors on the next sunny day. We got snow last night so it likely won't happen today.

Last count on inhabitants:
    10 adults, 1 child
    1 Yorkie
    1 cat (licking himself)
    1 squirrel
    1 owl
    1 bluebird
    1 sparrow
    a pair of nesting robins
    a pair of goldfinches
    4 butterflies
    2 dragonflies
    1 fly (in a spiderweb)

That's all unless I lost count.

Starting to think ideas for the next build.
    Rigging shed in a fall scene with frost and maybe a dusting of snow.
    Oil derrick with a Case tractor power supply
    Steam pile driver
    Steam log unloader for sawmill
    Mill engine/boiler house (power for shingle mill)
    1:20 scale Dolbeer
  • Speechless......Rick
  • Thanks Rick.

A quick shot with the dust cover fitted.
    B439F886-86FF-4EE6-9EB3-AFB9211DAB95
  • Looks great in the case Bryan, beautiful job all around.
  • Can't ever go wrong with a beautiful diorama under an acrylic case. Show stopper!
  • Bryan-! Everything came out great. Your dio's are always very interesting with lots of character!

I like all the dudes, they add to the story.
  • Whoa!
    Now THAT’S the way to display your hard work! Outstanding, Bryan.
    Can you share any details on your case?

Wonderful result all around!
  • Thanks guys. I'll get to those outdoors shots one of these days soon.

Bill, I've gotten 3 acrylic cases from a company called ShopPopDisplays. First one had no base and I made it myself. 2nd one had a wood base. This one had a black acrylic base. I won't get another acrylic base. You can order them from a set of pre-sized selections or have them custom build to the size you need. I'm a big fan.
  • Killer display and build...total package!
  • Great display Bryan! How well does the case keep the dust out?
  • Thanks Ken and Steve. The dust cover works as advertised. Very handy not only at keeping out the dust, but keeping fragile parts from being dinged.
  • Finally got a day with sunlight that I could take this outside and get some final shots. I'm calling this one done.
    3C6AF0F8-4654-4D44-BF75-B0FAD95EA7EF
    9C4795D2-D429-4FF4-9C7D-0E2D07491947
    A3916179-935C-4007-8BC4-30C9BB104DCC
    499E075C-A26B-40C6-8B09-302BFE1963FA
    C663A606-4ADB-465D-9693-88C5A8D135C1
    EFE5064B-7F92-45A1-A464-7B8266B9C892
    90C0AEEC-77B8-4BD6-87D7-2CA097500A44
    08CED147-7AFF-4D68-A94D-E1CD61C00173
    DC75835D-791C-46E2-9BE9-67728F8FEE59
    5D0E644E-23C6-4311-9EE3-8E57290723E5
    EF9486F5-171F-44F8-A96A-2631BA2D9A0C
    8438E430-6A96-4283-BA7E-0B30692BD423
  • Bryan,

This group of final photos taken outside shows off your artistry to maximum effect.
    Thanks for waiting for a nice sunny day and taking the time to post them for us to savor.
    Plenty to look at, enjoy and learn from. The pine needles definitely add that touch of realism that make the scene extraordinarily realistic.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I agree with Dave. Also I am surprised how much the LP gives life to the scene....Rick
  • Outstanding Bryan. It really looks good. BTW you nailed the pine straw. Phil
  • Thanks guys. I just love this kit and am so glad I did a second version of it.

Next time, hope to improve the individual LP painting Rick. I do enjoy placing them on dioramas because of what you said. They are a pain to try to make them look just right though.

Dave and Phil, I appreciate your feedback early in the pinestraw experiments.
  • Simply outstanding, what an amazing diorama! I especially love the roofing.
  • GREAT job! Love all the detail. So much to look at. That place is a flurry of activity.
  • Very Very nicely done.....
  • Nice work Bryan real nice be proud.
  • The way your diorama blends into Mother Nature attest to your mastery of colors and textures. Thanks for sharing!
  • Bryan,

Thanks for sharing these photos....
    i'll be referencing these for sure.

i need to get that static grass applicator.....

Do you plan on taking any evening photos? i would be intested to see how your light placement worked out.
  • Thanks guys.

Alex, I am happy with the grass applicator. But I do miss the cone-shaped applicator nozzle that came with the Noch applicator that I replaced. Getting used to a larger applicator surface is taking some time to get the feel for.

I was able to snap some pics with the lights on. Unfortunately I was not able to get a very good pic of the forge. Can't pick it up with the lights on and can't get a clear shot with the lights off. It's there but Kevin asked a valid question early on in the build as to whether it was worth doing given that it will be hard to see. The jury is still out.

There are 2 lights in the main bay. I positioned them so they would also send light into the tractor bay. There is 1 light in the tractor bay and 1 light on the exterior.

74A53E24-78BF-41EA-BA79-F0879CFD42D7
    00E7D4CC-9D4E-45EE-9498-DCEF5646CF94
    38B1C832-285B-4DBC-9F07-B25C6E390536
    545DDA82-1E71-4679-8962-27749443F250
  • oustanding! love your lp's. who's are they?
  • Tom Dick and Harry.
  • Funny Carl.

Kevin, some of these figures are 3D printed from Modelu and Andian. I really liked the positions of them but the surface detail was a bit lacking. There is 1 from MK35 and the blacksmith and 3 mechanics are from Royal Model.
  • Bryan, yeah- i noticed your lighting placement and number. Other lighting configurations i've seen of this had more lights. Yours seems to be just the right about of light power. Scaling light seems to be one of the hardest things. Especially with led's.

This is something i'm currently "pondering" in mine.... and the forge, did you put 1 led inside it? I briefly tested with 2 and 3... but, until you have a base ect, it's hard to tell.
  • Very realistic and life-like. Great job!
  • The night shot are great Bryan. Lighting makes so much difference to a model. And I can't ignore the fantastic pictures take out side, Of course the LP tell the story.