visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

New Member from Houston...Home of Pagosa Creek Timber Company

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Love the peeling pant. I have always admired this model (in HO Scale) - wonderful to see your scratchbuilt O Scale version. Post a pic with your hand in it so we can see how huge this mine is!
  • More great stuff here Paul.
  • Will do Brett. I’m getting ready to take a vacation to Crested Butte via Pagosa Springs. Hopefully, I’ll have all the roofing weathered by then and will spend evenings adding that to the roofs.
  • That's a real fine layout you've got there. Great rock work and the peeling paint is just right too !!
  • Brett, So I had a problem trying to take a picture with one hand while the other hand was in the model. So I included a 6' tall man on the tank and a ruler. Measures 70 scale feet to the top of the shaft house. O scale. And the fake rocks are "Great Stuff"...the expandable foam used to fill cracks around windows and pipes outside. First time I have used this. Works pretty well as a temporary stop-gap. Moose gold mine -scale
  • edited July 2022
    Always great to get a size perspective with a ruler and a sclae figure, looks to be a fairly nice sized structure

I see you are also experimenting with the furnace filter trees. I've built many hundreds of those over the years. They are a good quick filler for large areas on a layout. They are also great with some extra time and attention to produce some terrific foreground trees.
    For foreground trees remember to stretch out the horizontal layers of the fibre sheet to the maximum to give light, airy more realistic results.
    Also keep in mind that a trunk diameter is only about 5-10% of the foliage diameter, this keeps a better overall perspective and proportion.

Looking forward to following your next SierraWest build after seeing your previous results with these great SWSM kits.
  • I'm having an open house this Saturday from 1-5 for the San Jacinto Model RR club. Have been working like a dog to get the room clean and to put this guy back together. Have added most of the corrugated to the main roof. Will finish that when all the assemblies are glued together. And won't do that until I finish the doors windows and staircases. Per KKarns...I added Battens. That was brutal. By the way...I used a cracked pepper plastic container to make the tank. Cut off the top and kept the bottom 1" and glued the wood directly to the side of the plastic bottle. The wire wrap is cut paper colored rust. I may add the doors onto the dump shaft...they are already made...but another of those easy to break when moving if I leave one halfway open. This has really been a daunting task building this guy and I have not even begun painting the stuff from Brett. I did find a longhorn skull. That will adorn the front.

By the way...the yellow rocks are expandable foam used to fill holes around pipes and such. Works really good for a quick mockup. Will either cover with plaster and stain...or something else. I'll figure that out when I am done.

If anyone is close to Houston and wants to visit on Saturday...let me know.

IMG_1828
  • Good luck to you with the open house. Good luck to the LP in navigating the ladders.
  • Efforts well rewarded Paul! Looks fantastic.
  • Awesome, wish I could take the trip down I45 this weekend.
  • Great work Paul! Looking forward to seeing more because with a closet full of kits that’s just bound to happen. You will love that you joined this club. I know I did!
  • Thanks, guys for all the comments. And my house and a cup of coffee are always open whenever someone wants to visit.
  • I’m almost finished with the mine. Will post a few pics here when done. But took a break to go to the San Jac Houston train show this weekend and entered one of my completed SWSM’s in the model contest. First time I have done this in over 20 years.
  • edited February 2023
    Pic was too big and when sent from my iPhone...had to downsize on my pc
  • Well done, Paul
    Terry
  • How cool is that? Great job. Congratulations.
  • That's awesome! Congratulations
  • edited February 2023
    Congratulations on building such a fine model.
    Congratulations on the award, a first place is also a great accomplishment and something to be very proud of. The Truck repair looks great, well deserved award.
    Very well done.
  • Thanks guys.
  • Congratulations.
  • Well done and we’ll deserved Paul!
  • Congratulations! Very well deserved.
  • Nice work congratulations!
  • Yes, well deserved great model making.
  • Congrats! Great modeling!
  • Congrats. Really nice modelling.
  • BRAVO!!! take a bow, that's awesome!
  • Good job, it is not easy to get first at an NMRA contest. Randy
  • WOW Randy, very nice job!