visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

New Member from Houston...Home of Pagosa Creek Timber Company

Comments

• Great color match on the real wood to the resin shelf unit. Can be a challenge. At least it was for me. Keep up the pictures.
  • Thanks for the kind words guys. This is the fun part. Easy to forget about the world and concentrate on what really matters.
  • Great start, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Sakman said:

brownbr said:

Looks great Paul. You have to do a build thread for your next project.

Are you planning on installing a roof cap?

Dang….I left that off. Are SWSM ever really finished? I’ll add the cap tonight. Thanks for reminding me.
    While making my ridge row for my truck repair shed...I also made extra for the Tractor shed. Thanks again brownbr for reminding me.

IMG_0507 Ridge
  • roofs on the tractor repair look great!
  • That’s one seriously worn out roof. I love it.
  • Terrific roof work!
  • Wonderful work, roof looks great.
    The caps finish it off just right

Talking of finishing off, mine is still to the left of the keyboard here on the desk,
    You are giving me the push and inspiration I need to finish mine with seeing those pics.

Yours looks great and it is a build to be proud of and one I will study for ideas.

Thanks for sharing.
    Karl. A
  • Actually, my roof has been a stalling point of my build after seeing Bryans incredible version on his, it kinda intimidated me...
    Yours also looks outstanding, a great motivation for me.
    Beautiful work to study and follow.
  • Thanks so much, guys. When I was making the roof for the truck repair shed...I also made the caps for the tractor repair. As long as the acid was out...I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'll add pics tonight or this weekend. I was very pleased with the final product. Such great instructions from Brett. I'm trying to decide now if I want to build the shop to go with the truck shed next or to build my version of Malcolm Furlow's Saratoga Mine. Have a great picture of the "Moose Mine" that I will copy to fit my location.
  • Looking forward to seeing your completed roofs, great idea to kill the two birds together.
    I know I'm not alone in waiting to see the results.
    Thanks for the update.
  • LOVE the roof. Superbly weathered and dilapidated!
  • Thanks, guys for the inspiration. I have decided to take my scratch building skills along with my SierraWest skills and build a version of the Saratoga mine next. Here are a few picks of my almost completed engine repair shed. Are they ever really finished?

Gus' 1

Gus' 2

Gus' 4

Gus' 5

• Looks really good.
  • It all looks great but I agree with Brett….roof is very nice
    Terry
  • Superb job Paul!..beautiful scene and detail work. Well done.

(See a couple of errant wood splinters along the side of the large opening by the window that needs plucked off.)
  • Nice work. Love the muted colouring.
  • Fantastic job on everything. The painting, staining, everything looks great. Good job.
  • Nicely done!
  • Looking great so far, really like the colouring of everything.
  • Paul, two nice builds. I also really like the mixed media on the tractor repair. Your truck repair also looks good. I just finished mine also. It is a great kit. Randy
  • Have been quiet for a while. Working on my version of the Malcolm Furlow Saratoga Mine. Great plans in 2 old NGSL Gazettes. Am using pictures from an Australian version called the Moose Mine. My version is like the Moose. Every assembly is still removable from the whole. Used the drybrush method from the instructions from O'Neill's for painting the siding. And that's a boatload of siding. Have not decided if I want to add battens. Still need to add windows, doors, ladders, stairwells, and corrugated roofing. And that's a huge roof. Ran out of the RadioShack Etchant that I use to weather AL corrugated but was able to pick up a bottle on eBay. Maybe about another six weeks and then I will be back to building the Warehouse.Moose Gold Mine-800
  • edited July 2022
    What a project Paul! The siding color and weathering look beautifully done. PURLINS would look nice but I wouldn’t do all the structures with it if you decide to do some. What a show piece for the layout...
  • Paul, your mine looks really good. The board but joints on the right side look very nice and line up just right. Your rock work is just right for the mine's location. I see very few joints between rock molds. Very good job. Randy
  • edited July 2022
    Looking good so far Paul, I would definitely go with the battens on the walls (purlins are for roofs). The battens will add some great interest to those otherwise flat walls, an added depth that will enhance that great look you have already achieved even further.

Definitely on the main structure, but if you wanted you could leave them off the elevated, covered 'dump track' walls for variation, personally I'd do them all, but slightly more weathered than the siding. But that's your choice/preference.

Scenery and rockwork are terrific, between you and RandyP's recent pictures you're both making me think/want to build a layout (of sorts).

I also really like the silver grey colour/effect you got on the water tank, that looks just right.

Thanks for sharing and showing us your progress.
  • Hey Paul, could you post a close up image of some of your walls? Really like the weathered look you have going on there. Again, wonderful job!
  • Thanks, guys for all the comments of praise. It has taken a long time to build. I have changed the roof angle a bunch of times. and its height just as many. And I love doing rocks. If I'm using 1x12s for siding....should I use 1x3s for battens?

Note...the roof on the pic is just a piece of paper...I'll add rafters before the corrugation.

And here is another pic of rockwork.Siding Close up
  • Nice work! Peeling paint effect looks really good!
  • I agree with Tom, great looking pint peel and weathering! Base color is spot on.