visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Diorama - Wood Cutters Shack

Comments

• Great work Alex. I think the tank turned out great. You casting work is also very well done. Look forward to seeing things progress.
  • As I was contemplating what type of interior weathering I was going to do I did keep in mind the contrast between the studs and the walls.. I also washed the walls wiped them to make them "less brown".. while looking at other peoples work, I think I had way too much brown chock in the mix..

At this point with the structure assembled I will be deviating from the instruction manual a bit, which is necessary to detail the interior. I will also be framing in roof rafters. But, will be following the manual for the roof itself. I'm thinking I will do this similar to the loco shops upper roof.

Anyhow, below are some progress photos from the weekend.

The white balance is slightly off for the boiler photos.. But, it's very close I'm limited to photo editing on my phone...

IMG_2215
    IMG_2199
    IMG_2200
    IMG_2203
    IMG_2216
    IMG_2217
  • So, I have decided to build one of the Dolbeer's. I haven't seen anyone post photos of the contents. So, I took a "opening" photo for anyone interested.

I am hopeful mine comes out 1/2 as good as Roberts. if I achieve that goal I will be happy.

IMG_2218
    IMG_2219
  • Alex, the Woodcutters is looking very good so far. I can see you pay attention to detail by the marks on the floor where the door opens. Did you cut the boards of the wall to short? The corners seem odd . Brett shows in the manual the way to get nice flush fits for the walls.
    For what the Dolbeer concerns, just take your time, be very gentle with those tiny parts, and whenever in doubt, just ask , that's what the forum is for. It is a super kit. Looking forward to see you build it.
  • Robert,

the build for the wood cutters shack has vertical corner trim pieces. so, the horizontal boards do not extend past the framing. At least that was my interpretation of the manual.
  • alex, you're right. brett's "trap" system wasn't used on the woodcutter's. it's verticle trim board on the corners.
  • Indeed, you are correct. Went back to see my build and now I see the corner trim isn't placed yet on yours. That's why it looked odd. Great build .
  • This is where I'm at with the Dolbeer. I had to order a new set of drill bits for the bolts in the shoulders.. So, until those drill bits and drill handle come in I'll be on hold for a bit. That stuff should be here on Friday though.

Nothing in this photo is glued down yet..

This has been a really fun build. When I build the next two Dolbeers they will be much faster there are so many little parts on the valve/steam portion of this build; with that comes amazing detail.

IMG_2237
  • Nice work! Turned out great!
  • Ed,

You've seen Roberts work right...;)

I'll be using Roberts O-scale mill build as a guide for the one i have when i start mine.
  • i can't imagine fiddling with those tiny parts. your build looks awesome. the intricacy of these kits is incredible, and you mastered it. one thing though, shouldn't the boiler be weathered up a bit? it's pretty clean looking. did the lp's just purchase it?
  • edited October 2019
    Those are "pre-weathering" even as of today nothing is even glued down..

I'm "working" on the boiler right now.
  • Structure looks great as does the Dolbeer.
  • engine909 said:

Dude, you are getting better and better. Look out RobertG, might be a new sheriff in town.
    ed

This town IS big enough for the both of us. :wink:
    Remember that song Ed.....
  • edited October 2019
    Ed, wake up, of course I was referring to that song, but changed the lyrics to make my point..... :smile: Which is, this isn't a combat to show who's the toughest around... :wink: I really think Alex is doing a super job on these builds.
  • ireland? i got peeps....

• I thought i'd put finished photos of the Dolbeer in this thread as well.
    IMG_2311
    IMG_2313

This is the "old" water tank.
    IMG_2315

This is how it currently is. I knocked some of the rust off. Please let me know if you guys think this fits better with the Dolbeer overall. Or, what you would change.
    IMG_2330

Here is the current status of the shack. As you can see I've worked on a couple of the castings.

IMG_2324
    IMG_2325
    IMG_2328

You may notice that I added chain and rigging gear.. I was talking with Brett, and I think I now have a more defined direction that I will go with.. Since this diorama will be 12" wide and about 54" long.. I was thinking that I may include a dolbeer or two. Also, since Brett has the CHB white metal castings for a full yarder rigging.. Well, why not make part of the scene a fully rigged yarder and Dolbeer?

I'm thinking I may have room for a yarder rigging, as well as a repair yard?

Anyhow, that's my random thought for this evening. I think in the next day or two I will be getting some MDF cutting the foam and start laying stuff out and see if I will have room for this idea?
  • sounds like a freaking great project!
  • Ed,

Thanks for the complement.

I'm learning from you guys and trying to copy the way you guys do things.

I have been lucky to not break many things on this build (I had a really hard time with the rigging gear on my HO donkey repair crane though..). But, i did leave a dolbeer part in the oxidizer for a couple days last week when i was building that..

It kind of disintegrated when i found it and pulled it out :smiley: ....

You may notice that oil tank doesn't have it's ball valve... Brett gets his fare share of "hey, i may have possibly lost this" e-mails from me as well... The aforementioned ball valve for instance :blush:
  • Agree with Ed, fine work you' ve shown us. The rust on this tank is very well done. Try to do so on the Dolbeer tank .
  • Wow, great stuff Alex!...wonderful attention to detail.
  • Thanks Ken!

Like i i mentioned earlier, i'm just kind of copying you guys. :smiley:

I've got a bookmark folder of builds to reference on my phone :wink:
  • In between Baby duty my wife and her mom we watching the baby and I worked on the Shack a little bit.. Also, I have a photo to prove I have a "battle" scar now :smile:

IMG_2382

Below are all of the interior photos that I've taken thus far. I built a twin size bed frame. I'm not sure if I want to complete it or just leave it out... Thoughts from the group?

Anyhow, this is the current status.

IMG_2384
    IMG_2385
    IMG_2386
    IMG_2387
    IMG_2388
  • Current status approved. I am not sure about the bed next to the workbench and garbage can. The radio is a nice touch.
  • I love the interior. Looks like home.
  • not my home....(i have toilets)
    you probably should build an outhouse.
    shack looks great. seriously great.
  • Kevin,

I was planning an outhouse or two.
  • his and hers, or his and his?
  • labeling something like that can't be easy...So, i'll play it safe and go with gender neutral.. :wink:
  • So,

I've been struggling to thing of how to use some of the extra castings from the detail kits.. I think I've figured out how to use a few.. Here is one complete and one work in progress.

IMG_2427
    IMG_2428