visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Diorama - Wood Cutters Shack

Comments

• Nice looking trees...the diorama is shaping up splendidly...
  • Getting there...
  • I spent a little time upstairs putting random things down and taking some photos. As many of you can probably tell by now i am completely winging this... But, i think something like the included photos may be where i end up?

One comment from a buddy was "wow, that's a lot of trees" Do you guys think it may be a few too many trees? i do plan on incorporating some felled tree stumps in the mix in some capacity. But, my understanding is a structure like this would be in a pretty densely wooded area prior to heavy logging?

Thoughts, input & critique welcome.

The HO flex track is there just to have something for now..

layout1
    layout5
    layout2
    layout4
  • I like your placement as it is. I know the track is just laid there for ideas, but I would recommend a slight curvature in the track. Almost no straight track in these heavily wooded areas and more pleasing to the eye.

Rick
  • I like all the trees too, and the current scene composition.
    Rick, "you took the words right out of my mouth" regarding the curve in the track, first thing I thought when I saw the flex 'mock-up', and, for the same reasons.
  • I find the heavily wood look pleasing. As long as you make the forest floor convincing by adding some deadfall and low to medium scrub bushes it will give the impression of looking through the woods when you get down to eye level. The trees that block a viewers vision will encourage them to move their heads slightly to get a better look which will open up new details for them to find. Keep the woods.
  • Yeah, i was planning on curing the track up. As viewed from the last photo. Bottom left to top right just beside the "hill edge"

Thanks; i like all the trees too.
  • AlexR said:

Yeah, i was planning on curing the track up. As viewed from the last photo. Bottom left to top right just beside the "hill edge"

Yep, exactly.

• The curve would add a certain dynamic in the ,otherwise fine, composition.
    Great job so far.
  • I think a couple of tree stumps would be in order also. Surely they would have cut some down to make room for the rail.
  • Can’t wait to see how this fits on the shelf shown on page 1!
  • Love where this is going Alex! - I don't believe you can have too many trees.
  • Alan, as you probably guessed... it wont fit on that shelf any more :smile:

The new plan is for it to reside on the corner of my desk. or on a to be built shelf on the wall to the left of the desk...

step 1. come up with a plan.
    step 2. change all the plans decided in step 1..

desk
  • I agree with brownbr. Add some under growth even some smaller conifers to fill in, especially toward he back edge of trees.
  • Alex, you know I'm in favor of lots of trees to correctly set the scene. Phil
  • The next step will be to do wiring of the diorama. i'm going to follow Robert and Ken and fully wire this diorama for lighting.. the work shed/shack, as well as placing a few random landerns in the woods. I am also going to wire the pot belly stove with a flasher module as well... I Also bought some sound modules. If everything turns out well i'll post a video on youtube and share.

So, That is why there is still "just" dirt and nothing is gluded down.. Once i get the wiring done and the structures gluded down, then i will start on the track, and then trees/underbrush. i am currently thinking about doing a considerable amount of underbrush in the "wooded" area, with a bit less around the track/cabin and a path to the outhouse.... Something like in the photo below.

I'm currently thinking about doing track that is in the process of being laid.. As, that could become part of the scene in the top right corner. Ties down and track in the process of getting spiked.

I was anxiously waiting feedback as to the quantity of trees... if it was said that it was too much and distracted from the scene i would have removed some. However, it seems like everyone is in agreement that there aren't too many. So, I didn't go too overboard :smiley:.

IMG_4452
  • yeah, love that pic, got so many just like it, it really shows how things really were, scrutinize every inch of it, look at the rough cut, miss-aligned ties....
    One idea I'd like to throw out at you, if I may..... ?
  • Always.
  • If you have the track curved up as you say (which I think would be great) from bottom left up to top right.
    Why not add a 'switch' into it, just to the right of the shed.... this could be your 'unfinished' 'in progress' diversion headed off into another part of the woods, mid left but not to the edge of the dio….
    That way you could have a finished section of track for 'current' operations and also have a track gang working on new track branching off into another area of the woods.....

Dangnabbit, why do I always give my good ideas away ???

Anyways, just a thought...
  • edited May 2020
    Oh an a 'switch' would be easy to do, 'in progress', especially as it doesn't have to be operational.... (damn, there I go again)
  • Yep, I do, thanks Ed, and cos I'll probably never get around to doing it myself....
  • So, i did some "research" we'll call it research anyhow...

I found the two below reference photos that i think i'll somewhat use. Also, i ordered some code 81 track.. yep, code 81 not 83.. I thought that would work well. Also i think i will probably work on a turnout similar to the photo. Very simple and easy to replicate.

As far as underbrush goes. i think the first photo will be a good reference for underbrush and stumps ect.

IMG_4455
    IMG_4454
  • Here are two more reference photos i found that i inadvertantly left out earlier.
    IMG_4456
    IMG_4457

I finished a pair of the logging disconnects.. after i took this photo i realized some of the chalk blotting. that has since been fixed... i've taken heed to what Karl says about taking lots of photos as photos will show what you may not notice in person... such as that disconnect on the back car.. i didnt even notice the chalk hadn't blended until i looked at the photos..

rsz_img_4468
    rsz_img_4466
  • edited May 2020
    Nice disconnects Alex ! They are going to fill the scene in nicely, love the debris on their decks, scales out nicely.
    Those old B/W pics are a great reference I've found for composition and ideas.
    Glad to read my (older) posts are still beneficial to many readers, very rewarding and thanks for the acknowledgement.

This is going to be a great dio with all that you are putting into it... thought, planning, and great modeling.
  • I'm not sure how many have seen this touturial. However, this is what i will be follwing with some variations. i'll post a few progress photos once there is something worth sharing.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/778/lighting-clinic/p1
  • I started on the first lighting element, the pot belly stove. in this video the stove was set in place to test the brightness of the LED. currently the stove is glued down again and the wires ran through the floor. i plan on putting one or two hanging lights in the shack.. Not sure, it's a pretty small structure. so 1 will likely be more than enough.

The below photos show the prep of the pot belly stove. i drilled the holes with a hand drill. Then cut the channel connecting them with the Mill and a tiny end mill.

IMG_4484
    IMG_4485

There inst any audio as it's pretty self explanatory for this audience.

• That is amazing! I told my wife the other day that used to think that I was detail oriented ... until I started reading this forum!! As a side project, I am working on a little crossing shanty and I decided to put a pot belly stove in it and I thought I was going to the "nth" degree. Thanks for raising the bar!
  • Composition looks good...
  • This is where O scale has its advantages. I like the stove. Phil
  • I love the way that turned out.