visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Diorama - Wood Cutters Shack

Comments

• That would be quick and simple. Also keep the mess at his place. Win Win Rick
  • Those puppies are expensive…..I do a lot of wood working also....and I can't talk myself into buying one yet......but that is a great idea...…
  • Wonderful Alex, looking forward to more updates!
  • Beautiful work Alex. Your metal weathering is particularly well done! You mentioned the elevation change for your diorama. I'm on the same page as I got tired of working up just plain flat dios and felt some change in elevation would add mush interest and create some nice detail opportunities. I like the idea.
  • Here is a little progress. I'm contemplating "borrowing" the Dolbeer transport idea from Bryan's diorma. I scratch built a couple cross beams that i thought would probably be used? i dont know if this will be implemented or not.

Also, i did some of the elevation to the base today. i decided to go a slightly different route than the cnc.. a 4" angle grinder with 30 grit sand paper... it worked really well, as can be seen by the under cuts :wink: i'll just fill those in with dirt later i think?

i'm still somewhat trying to find a placement that i like... In due time i suppose.

IMG_4345
    IMG_4346
    IMG_4355
  • Looking good. Rick
  • Indeed it does. !!!
  • I like the elevation.

For what it's worth, I used the rooster to connect 2 disconnects and turned the bunks so the Dolbeer sat on the decks. Worked out nice.
  • Alex,

Still savoring your Dolbeer build. Really looks great on the flat car.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave,

Thanks!

That was my first. Also, i know almost nothing about railroading.. so, when you guys use these specific part names... i have to google to see what you guys are talking about... like bunks... as i was reading the instructions on these cars i was like...

"hrm; wonder what in the world that is :smile: "
  • edited May 2020
    Alex,

Been there, done that and still find myself looking for an explanation of terms/words. Life is a learning process indeed.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Nice build on the Dolbeer...should add a good bit of interest to the diorama.
  • I think i've decided to do a bulldozer repair scene..

i did decide to do yellow and have a lot more weathering to do...

IMG_4392
    IMG_4393
  • Nice coloration on the scoop.
  • AlexR said:

Dave,

Thanks!

That was my first. Also, i know almost nothing about railroading.. so, when you guys use these specific part names... i have to google to see what you guys are talking about... like bunks... as i was reading the instructions on these cars i was like...

"hrm; wonder what in the world that is :smile: "

amen
  • brownbr said:

I like the elevation.

For what it's worth, I used the rooster to connect 2 disconnects and turned the bunks so the Dolbeer sat on the decks. Worked out nice.

rooster?
  • edited May 2020
    alex, you've got so much going on at the same time, and every project looks fantastic. a pleasure to watch....
  • Looking good. Yellow always seems to take weathering very nicely.
  • A rooster is the piece goes between 2 disconnects and couples them together.
  • Thanks for that succinct explanation Bryan of a "rooster". I learned something new again today!

Later, Dave S.
  • Dave_S said:

Thanks for that succinct explanation Bryan of a "rooster". I learned something new again today!

Later, Dave S.

you and me both. a rooster. whoda thunk?

• I was working with the placement. Nothing is gluded down at this point, and i'll probably pause on the ground work for a bit. in anticipation for Ken's thread. However, i still have a bit more to do.. as can be seen, there is no roof... i was waiting to see what i wanted to do.. i've decided i'm going to follow Robert a bit with the lighting... I'm in the process of deciding what and how i want to implement this.. Thus, none of the strucutres are done just yet. The shed is not glude together either again, waiting to see what i wanted to do..

Below are a few photos i took to see how i wanted to proceed.. i also need to buy track and ties ect as well as figure out how to do that :smile: ....
    image1
    image2
    image3
    image4
  • Looking good...nice trees too....
  • This should turn out great.

Rick
  • lov the arrangement. it looks very northern forest. did you make the trees or buy them, and if the latter; from who? they're nice looking trees....
  • Furnace filter trees?
    The scene is looking good so far, its always fun to play with the arrangement at this stage.
  • Not furnace filter. A somewhat different material. But, same overall concept.

Yeah, i need to figure the track out... then i can kind of finalize the placement..
  • That's a very natural setting
  • Looks right at home among the trees! Looks like a natural dirt road in front of the structure along the diagonal. Can envision it with lots of underbrush among the trees and tall grasses alongside the dirt road. Great layout!
  • I built the HO version of this and put it on a very small base. I plan to redo it on a larger base and I want to do exactly what you're thinking about. Put the shed in a grove of trees where you have to really look for the shed. You can still do this with a track running through it. Remember, the woodcutter's shack was used to cut wood for the steam donkeys. Therefore, as a timber company came into a site to cut, this would have been one of the first structures built and it would have been among a bunch of trees at first. Phil