visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

Comments

• I can't close my mouth. Wonderful eye for the details.
  • Awesome detail work! Love the worn stairs and the leather belting looks like leather.
  • All that I can say is your details are just fantastic. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Each casting is so well done. You took the books on the desk to a new level with the labels on the binding along with the Coke bottle.
  • Robert, wonderful work...just has that warm used I feel like Im right there look. Detail work is outstanding and brilliantly done...enough of that...whats up with that splintered splayed out board end in the 3rd picture from the bottom??...Ken
  • A spot I've missed, taken care of... Even for me, there is so much :smiley:
  • So . . . Sue Ellen uses a spitoon? JUST amazing, my friend!
  • Wonderful work, up to your usual high standards!
  • Thanks people, this means a lot !!!
  • Now I hang my coat and hat on the hook and take a break... :wink:

DSCN4137

That's all folks..... for now. :blush:

• Beyond incredible!
  • Stunning work Robert as always
  • Explain the shelf brackets, please.
  • the shelf brackets pictured are included in this kit!
  • Fantastic stuff, great colouring and texture.
  • OK guys, it's been a while, but I didn't fall asleep. As Ken said already, there goes an enormous amount of time in the small stuff, so you can imagine when we talk about the roof !!!
    Anyway, I decided to, first make the whole roof construction removable. This has consequences of course. Much more work than it is already. But to hide all those magnificent scenes and beautiful castings would be a terrible shame. This implicated a whole new construction.

First I made the roof in cardboard parts. The same ones as the paper templates that are provided in the kit, but I needed something stronger and firmer than the paper. It had to hold all the roof beams whilst drying. Everything would be seen eventually when finished , so no fooling around !!! :wink:

Then the second BIG decision was that I wanted light coming in through the roof, so some sort of windows, on a semi industrial scale would be needed. After some googling I came upon these type of roof windows. I adapted them to my needs and this is the result.

Voila, (french) here are some impressions of what I did so far. Nothing is finished yet, glue is still drying , almost no weathering except the wood boards, nor detailing the interior. That is for later. so just look at the construction. The photos aren't great because taken indoors with terrible light ( for photo taking) , but you'll get the idea.

More later ... :smile:

DSCN4144

DSCN4146

DSCN4147

DSCN4149

DSCN4157

DSCN4154
    DSCN4156

:wink:
  • Robert,

As always, more great information and photos. Awesome skylights. Thus far a great little tutorial.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Love the skylights. Doing a large roof that is removable is such a pain but necessary on such a beautiful structure build. You are doing a fantastic job.
  • Ha !!!! I learned a new word SKYLIGHTS... no windows... :smile:
    It was a tough decision, I didn't want the sawmill to look like a greenhouse.
  • Robert,

The Ultimation Sander and Repeater are perfect tools for this type of precision roof rafter work. Have an Ultimation Repeater on order for creating precise roof rafters using my ultimation sander.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • I really like this idea....it crossed my mind on another large structure I was working on....very prototypical of large industrial venues....I may borrow this on my sawmill....
  • Perhaps it is useful to say that the different parts of the roof are now held together by a small cotton ribbon soaked in white glue.

Later , when dry, I will turn the roof upside down and apply a seam of epoxy on the inside ,where two parts come together. This will be hidden by a small board so nothing will be seen. This will guarantee a strong bond. On the outside, over the cotton, tarpaper and boards as per manual.

When all is glued, dried it will be weathered so everything is as one.( if you know what I mean ...)

a few more to illustrate my 'doings'
    The 'glass' comes from blister packaging , so free !

DSCN4148

DSCN4151

:wink:
  • Bonus points for skylights.
  • Bravo! Like your method for the roof too.
  • Wow! WOW! DOUBLE WOW!
  • I'm not sure how many WOWS, I can add in this space, but there won't be enough room. Great job on making a very large roof removeable. I will be anxious to see how the lighting goes too.

You have no idea how much I wish I had made at least part of the roof removeable, in my build of this great kit. I almost would think of selling my completed scene and then building another one. Crazy right?

Mike S.
  • Beautiful work Robert as always. Love the personal touches and creativity in making this "Robert's Sawmill". Your attention to detail is outstanding and a pleasure to peruse. Those shots of the interior are just amazing!...feels like I could just walk right in...Ken
  • Robert,
    The skylights are a great idea. As the photos show they really allow a lot of light into the building. It's these kinds of personal touches and creative ideas that makes this forum such a valuable resource. Brett makes outstanding kits, but creative changes like this makes them even more interesting.
  • The skylights are wonderful. They look amazing in the interior shots. Beautifully executed!
  • Robert, just catching up on your build. Incredible!!! I know modeling in O scale makes it a bit easier to bring out the details, you have paid attention to every detail and have made a very believable scene. Folks will really enjoy looking at this build. Thanks for sharing. Phil