visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

Comments

• Great work as usual Robert! Flawless!
  • Nice touch!
  • I don't want to stir up a fight, but I don't like the skylights. They are not prototypical on this type of sawmill, or any sawmill. The rest of the sawmill looks just like your other work Robert. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ouch and Harsh. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Carl.
  • sdrees said:

I don't want to stir up a fight, but I don't like the skylights. They are not prototypical on this type of sawmill, or any sawmill. The rest of the sawmill looks just like your other work Robert. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve.
    Just thinking about this Robert bought the kit he has the right to do anything that he likes,If he wants to put a glass roof on it so be it.
    I did not know that we were rivet counters but there is a forum for that.
    .......The Dude................
  • If Drees doesn't like the skylights, then allow him to have his opinion. Why are people SO upset by opinions that happen to be different these days? What is rivet county about an honest opinion? Personally, I think the skylights might have been more expensive THEN than electric lights, but I like the look from the inside very much. I worry about the rain though at the top seam.
  • I happen to agree with Eric, but that is my opinion, of which we are all certainly entitled to. This is Roberts build thread and thus far we have remained respectful of that. Please let's continue to extend that courtesy to Robert.
  • I like the skylights!
  • edited March 2020
    Woah, I got myself on to thin ice here. First, there was a lot of thinking, searching for examples , considering about do or don't. I spoke to Brett about my idea and no, he wasn't that exited I was gonna alter his kit

As I mentioned, what's the point of hiding all the nice CHB castings/machinery , as a matter of fact, hiding about 50 % of the whole interior once the roof is mounted.

Ok, you might say , make it removable, but are you gonna take off such a large , fragile roof construction every time someone wants to see the sawmill?? I don't think so. You could say, leave the roof off, ?? Ok, but than you would have to make a COMPLETE truss, beams and, I don't know all the roof parts names- construction which now isn't the case.
    At least not in the kit. ( and not necessary if build as per instruction)

I try to build the kits, especially this one as logical as possible. I made already some changes in the construction. That is making sure that , for example the weight of the upper construction goes down on a pier, and not on a board with nothing under it.
    But hey, where do you stop.

Prototypical?? What's in a word, right. I am sure, and said that on several occasions , that there went a lot of research from Brett in these kits, but on the other hand creativity is encouraged by the same Brett !!! :wink:

And yes Eric I also did think about the rain coming thru . You'll see , ( on the building photo, ) the seems are covered with tarpaper. As in real life !!!

And when I look at all the kits build here, there is none that is rainproof. ! Beautiful, weathered, worn, but get those pots and pans ready when the rain comes down ! But who cares...???

I also did some research on the net before beginning with the skylight adventure, just to make sure this was done in reality aswel. Look at the old sawmill photos.

So, I am not writing all this in defense, only to say that I wanted to get the most out of this kit as I do with all the others I've build and those waiting to be build.

I also noticed I always draw attention to fellow forum members/builders when I do something out of the box as they say. So , Like it or not, I hope you all enjoy the build.

Usually, like Eric, I don't like to show much photos of work in progress, it always seems to give a wrong idea, and most people can't see through the proces . I'd rather show something finished.

All that being said, I 'll go back to the bench and struggle some more with the installation of the lights. Make sure they are "prototypical" .... :wink:

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-14 om 16.51.49

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-14 om 16.54.57

DSCN4152
  • Actually skylights were around in a lot of the old industrial structures at the turn of the century. Maybe not so much in backwoods sawmills.....I was just at the mill this models design follows....and it did have 1 skylight of sorts. What it did have were high roofs with almost entirely open walls to let in as much light as possible during daylight hours....

I actually like the skylights....and I agree with it's the modelers option to build his world as they see it.....
  • Hey, it is Roberts sawmill and he can do anything that he likes to it. Why can't I express my opinion. Overall, the project got a big WOW from me. I am in the process of putting lights in my sawmill and one section of the roof is removable. I belong to a group of model railroaders that meets for lunch on Wednesdays and people pass around ideas for individual layouts, always with the words "It is you layout do what you want with it"
  • Very well stated Robert. One point of clarification. I never have a problem with modifications to my kits. I truly enjoy seeing the personal touches each builder imparts. I just wasn't overly in love with the skylight idea. I think the interior shots look amazing and really admire Robert for being bold and modeling the sawmill his way!
  • Hey Steve, we're cool yes. Of course everyone can express his/her opinion. I really have no problem with that. I don't feel attacked :smiley: I'd rather have people that say what they want to say than those who try to talk in favor of everybody.

I really appreciate ALL comments. Thanks for that.
  • Nice build Robert I think the skylights add a different dimension.
    Just keep going your way it's perfect.

Jerry
  • engine909 said:

And who said we have to always be hugs and kisses? Outside of Kevin and Brett.
    This forum brings joy to everyone. A little dust up would never change that. If it did than we are not what I think we are. A group of modelers who care about each other beyond building a kit.

engine909 said:

Build on Robert. . And I know damn well you do the research.

You are so right my Prog Brother.. :wink:

• Robert, I would place a copper triangular flange above each skylight. Just a slight angle to divert the rain AND SNOW. The snow load would be tough in Maine on those skylights! And who are YOU to say my roofs would leak! JOKING!
  • edited March 2020
    Next step. I decided to give the office area a roof. Seemed logic, less dust and dirt falling in, and the pot belly stove wouldn't be burning just to heat the roof... ( climate awareness wasn't an issue in those days apparently ) But more important, it gave me the opportunity to create a small attic.

On this attic I could concentrate
    all the electrical wires coming from the lights all over the mill. (About 20 of them.), and hide this cluster with boards stacked to dry . These would be the better ones...

( confiscated by the mill boss, for private use ,probably... :wink: )

The lightning installation will be documented later, so the painted beams/wires are not finished yet.

The very thin wooden slats between the boards are made of colored thick paper. In real wood they would be too thick for these boards ,proportion wise. ( I couldn't get that thin scale wood here anyway)

(Again , just work photos, nothing artistic because the awful light. Colors are a bit warmer))

DSCN4163

DSCN4164

DSCN4166

DSCN4167

DSCN4168

DSCN4170

Are you used to the skylights already ?..., like all new things, after a while it will seem they've been there for ever .
    :wink:

• That sneaky mill boss.
  • Love it Robert. Stacked lumber looks perfect. Still find myself drawn to your wood treatment, splendidly done.
  • Robert,

Very creative solution for a situation that vexes all modelers who want to add lighting to their structures in a realistic manner without seeing wires exposed all over the place.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • A great solution. I struggle with hiding the lighting wires. Phil
  • Robert, we are cool.
  • I have always admired the texture and the color of the weather wood used in your structures.
  • Robert,

Have you done a tutorial on how you color your wood?
  • Hi Alex, yes on several occasions in different treads it was explained. Browse trough the builds if you will.
  • engine909 said:

And who said we have to always be hugs and kisses? Outside of Kevin and Brett.
    This forum brings joy to everyone. A little dust up would never change that. If it did than we are not what I think we are. A group of modelers who care about each other beyond building a kit.

Your still not getting flowers for your birthday next year!!

But your still an okay guy!!

Jerry

• I looked up the definition of ontzagwekkend. I think it fits perfectly:
    overwhelming
    awe commanding
    stupendous
    regardful
    impressive
    grandiose

I can't add any words to that. Just awesome.
  • fantastic work. actually, i'm in awe of anyone that has built this kit; honestly.
  • edited March 2020
    This is how I did the lights.

The lamp shades were made from a piece of brass. Drilled a hole and shaped it into a dome .
    The bulbs are 16v and 5/64 diameter . No led here. They give a very warm natural light.

I installed two 1/64 brass rods on the beams. Held in wooden brackets epoxied to the beams.

I soldered the. two wires coming from the bulbs to each of the rods.

From the rods go two wires that come together with the ones that were installed separately and form the small cluster hidden by the stacked boards.

A thicker wire goes from the cluster trough the maintenance area under the base and to the transformer.

DSCN4160

DSCN4183

DSCN4178

DSCN4179

And some mini scenes and poetry to end this one. :wink:

DSCN4180

DSCN4185

DSCN4186

:smile:
  • Nice!!

Jerry