visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• edited August 2020
    the reason this thread's been quiet so long is i had to order some lights before i could put the roof panels on it (and had to wait for payday). the lights should be here midweek. i needed one more gooseneck lamp for the door on the rear wall with the stairs. once that light's installed i can move on. i ordered 4 of them and i think i'll use the other three for light poles.
  • edited August 2020
    Please don't post email addresses or passwords... Or any personal information.
  • My provider has a set of standards that I must abide by. One of those is not to knowingly transfer or provide personal information in a public forum. (There are forums that traffic in illegal personal information.) Even though it is your information it is still against the standards that I and thus everyone who is a member must abide by. There is absolutely no leeway. Please do not post personal information ever.
  • The boat is very nice and your work is too. The pool hall only reminds me of yet another structure that needs to be finished so I might need a pool table too. The juke box is awesome.
  • i got them all at narrow gauge modeling company.
  • while waiting for my lighting order, i decided to start on one of the docks.
    dock base

and heres the decking started:
    dock decking started

the dimensions are 20 scale feet by 8

and here's on of the dowels i'll use for the pilings. it's a 3/16" dowel, so 9" pilings.

dock pilings dowel
  • my light order came. it was all wrong. my fault too. so i sent them back and evan design says i'll have my order monday. i hope to install one more gooseneck lamp on the structure, and maybe a light on in the bait shop, and then i'll put the roof panels on and button it up. (i'm not gonna use the ridge cap shingles, i'm gonna use boards) add the balcony and it's on too scenery....
  • edited August 2020
    whilst waiting for the lights to get here, i decided to start on the landforms. i had a question in this post about the best adhesive to use, because i have had crappy luck with liquid nails for projects, but i did a little research and learned that the elmer's wood glue max works great for gluing foam to foam, so bye bye liquid nails.
    land forms started
  • which one?
    does anyone have any suggested improvements to the landfall scene?
    can't wait to start mixing up some sculptamold....
  • That is becoming more and more awesome Kevin !!!!!
  • thanks robert. i guess what i need to know is, from the river bottom to the top layer is 4 feet. should i eliminate 2 feet? is 4 feet to high?
  • Pros on spray is that it sets quicker than other adhesives. Cons on spray is that it makes the foam less positionable. I use Aleens tacky glue for foam. No problems once it drys but it does take a couple days. I think caulk might work as well.

Nice start on the groundwork by the way.
  • thanks. you don't think the elevation is too high?
  • No prob. Just add more water. LOL
  • Or strand one of the boats where the water has receded and exposed junk that was tossed in the water.
  • i glued down a couple layers of the foam and weighted the panels down with bricks. while watching the glue dry i thought it would be a good time to work on the roof over the balcony. i started on some basic framing:
    balcony roof framing 1

i built the framing out of scale 3x10s. i added two more boards after this picture was taken so that i could put it up against the roof to see how it fit. there's a new issue now....when i put the framing up against the roof, it protruded out past the lower walkway by a couple of feet. it's not supposed to according to the drawings. it's supposed to end plumb with the front edge of the lower walkway, and frankly,....i don't know what i'm going to be able to do about it. i'm thinking this may be my only course of action: cutting the front roof panel and removing it up to where the balcony roof joins it. first picture is the start of the framing from the little wedge of siding on the right end of it:

balcony roof framing  2a

i added some bracing and put it up where it is supposed to be.

balcony roof framing 2b

i don't know if you can see what my dilemma is, but i only have two hands and can't put the roof panel up so you can see the discrepancy, but trust me, it's there. the shingles on the roof panel cause the balcony roof to protrude too far away from the building face. i think my only fix is to remove the roof panel around the balcony roof framing so that i can glue the framing directly to the top plate of the wall and the siding wedge directly to the gable wall. i could sure use some opinions here guys.
  • Wow! great work
  • Kevin, Not sure if I understand the problem, but you say the overhang extends too far out over the edge of the building. It looks to me as if you shorten each side of the triangle you have pictured in photo no. 2 it should lessen the overhang. Hope this is correct.
    Tom
  • tom,
    the balcony roof is supposed to stop at the support posts (or a few scale inches beyond them_, but when i butt it against the roof panel, it extends a couple of scale feet beyond them, due to the thickness of the roof panel with the shingles. the way i see it, i need to cut the roof panel around the framing so the balcony roof framing is sitting on the top plate of the front wall and the gable on the gable wall. if i do that i think it'll work out pretty well.
    i suppose i could shorten that triangle to make it fit, but i think that would deviate from the drawings too much and would look funny. that was actually the first cure i thoought of. maybe i'll build a mock up of it tonight and see how it looks.
    it's going to be an easy cut to mark out or cut, but i'm planning on bench time tonight so i'm gonna give it hell.
  • Make a cardboard mock up and see if it works.
    Tom
  • i have 2 stacks of chipboard to muddle through....
    2 different thicknesses and sizes. so i should be set.
  • fellas, i have slammed head on into a wall. motivate me....
  • edited September 2020
    just in general. i have zero motivation to go back to the bench. zero.
    this has never happened to me before,
  • This happens to me too, when I am on a project a long time.
  • engine909 said:

Has this enormous project caused this lack of interest? Maybe a simple quick build may help.
    Tell what two week build you would want for your layout. I probably have it. I'll send it to you.

thanks buddy. i'll communicate via email.

• I know where you are my friend.....I'm also there right now.....I have so much else going on so I know why the lack of interest at the end of the day comes from.....I hope you can figure out why the slump is happening...
  • steve,
    i'm sure it happens to everyone, this is the first time it's happened to me though and i'm uncomfortable feeling this way. i'm sure my buddy ed will help me get through it.
  • You will get over it. Start another small project
  • edited September 2020
    i can't scratch build anything right now. i think that's the source of my whatever this is. especially when i think i could have bought it in kit form for $170. i think i'm well beyond that, and this didn't come with instructions.
    problem is, the diorama for this thing is 2'x4', so i gotta finish it and get it off of the coffee table and out of the way. i just installed a gooseneck lamp on the second story rear door (the one at the top of the stairs), and when i tested it, it didn't work. i didn't need that. i threw my hands up in the air and grabbed a sam adams.
    it's been an endless string of small frustrations like that, that are just beating the hell out of me.
  • edited September 2020
    How about painting some figures for the new project? A few at the time. Really small projects
    that won't take that long..