visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• just so you guys don't think i've been sitting around the house drinking beer and playing guitars, (well, i have been, but not totally all the time, i mean like, you know), i got a fair amount of shingling done on the front roof panel.

front roof panel 80% shingled
    in this picture ( and in actuality), the shingles look like they have alot of brown in them. they don't have ANY brown in them. all the coloring so far has been two coats of silverwood, and some ochre chalk on the upper parts of the shingles washed in with alcohol.
    i mixed up a batch of silverwood with 4 or 5 drops of bone paint to hopefully get a real nice greyish color, and i'll be hitting it with that once the roofs are done and the ridge cap on.
    and there's always powders.....
  • Kevin.
    They look good so do not over do it.
  • Shingles look great
  • the shingles look good like they are Kevin
  • i noticed in the picture i posted yesterday that i inadvertently skipped almost and entire coarse of shingles, so i ripped up the shingles above the row i missed and redid them. the pieces i ripped up i'll try and use on the rear roof panel.
    jeez... one step forward, two steps back.
    i think i'll go back to swilling beer and playing guitar........
  • no despair. the shingles came off pretty easily. pried them up with a chisel blade.
    i finished shingling the front roof panel. note the 'flashing' for the valley on the angled side.

front roof panel shingled
    i'm leaving the top unshingled for now, so i can see how the front and rear match up.
    i have no meetings this week, so i'll get the rear panel shingled this week if i have enough shingles.
    fingers crossed......
  • I love the color of the shingles.
  • thanks bryan
  • I second Bryan's comment.

Rick
  • Yes, the shingle work looks great IMHO.
  • thanks everyone i appreciate the comments. got the rear panel a little more than half done, but i have to order a couple more packs. this thing eats shingles and 1x6s like crazy.
  • i sure have.
    i shoulda just bought the kit. it's only $169.95.
  • i guess i had more shingles left than i thought. i managed to finish shingling both roof panels. the rear panel was a testament to my patience because all i had left to finish it off with were 1" strips of shingles. i have another package of them on order and i will use those to finish off the top courses on both roof panels. (I'm going to flip them over and add some bracing to eliminate sag) i love these shingles, but for anyone considering using them, i recommend not cutting the strips this small. cut them in 2.5" strips and you'll end up loving them too.
    roof panels shingled
  • thanks ed, i just spit beer all over the laptop.....
  • thanks buddy. and happy father's day to all the modelers on here..
  • Happy Father’s Day to all.
    The shingles look great Kevin.
  • thanks tom.
  • Kevin, I"m worn out following your build. You certainly don't shy away from big challenges. I would have gone nuts trying to put that roof on. Way to hang in there. BTW, it looks good too. Phil
  • thanks phil. it's getting there. tonight i think i'll add the top courses on both panels and add fascia to the three gables.
  • bear down....
  • he's johnny on the spot. kinda like brett, but not quite.
  • indeed.
  • edited June 2020
    a friend of mine dropped off a baggie full of belt sander sawdust (very fine). question for the class: how do you make it look like "fluffy" sawdust instead of a blob of wet looking sawdust (sawdust mud)?
  • Fabric Softener.
  • edited June 2020
    please explain carl....
    i thought of another idea too. just carve a piece of foam in the shape i want the sawdust pile, paint it shaffron, hit it with glue, and roll it in the sawdust.

i wanna learn about the fabric softener trick though.

two letters to the east and you're an earl....
  • cool....
  • Kevin.
    That sawdust may be to fine so if you have some other put that down first wet it with some water then your mat medium when almost dry put the fine dust over it.
  • Kevin, I found that AK "Sand and Gravel Fixer" works to secure sawdust without clumping it up. Don't wet with water prior to application of this product, but if you use matte medium do wet with water.
  • thanks