visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• Looking good. Just how many thousand more?

Rick
  • looks good, nice variation that will blend together well at the end.
    Needs atleast another row up top, most likely two.
    nice work.
  • Looking good. Just how many thousand more?

Rick

depends on what size strips i cut them into. hundreds at least.
  • Karl.A said:

looks good, nice variation that will blend together well at the end.
    Needs atleast another row up top, most likely two.
    nice work.

thanks karl. i wanted to wait to do the top row(s) until the other side is shingled, and them i can separate the two roof panels and trim the waste.

• Looks great Kevin!
  • thanks boss!
  • Good plan Kevin, I didn't realize the roof was folded.
  • yeah, right now they're masking taped together and sitting on the gable.
    gable with roof panels

once both panels are shingled, i'll deal with the ridge and install rafter tails on the left side, and then glue it to the main structure after i finish up the lighting on the front wall and glue the building together.
  • Kevin looks good, very good, great job, what else can I say
  • thanks steve. i think once all of the roofing is done it's gonna turn out just like i hoped it would.
  • Great variety in sizes, shapes, color and texture on the shingles. Real wood was a good decision for the roof.
  • So far, so good.
  • gee fellas, today is a red letter day for norton's fish camp. i finally got my order from evans design, so i added about 20" wire to the leads from the battery clip, soldered in the light for the veranda, and all the building lighting is finished, which means; i can glue all the walls together and focus on the roofs. because i'm not a mathemetician, or a carpenter (though i have build several houses helping a buddy/carpenter), i need to be really careful here. i need to tack the gable roof in ITS FINAL RESTING PLACE in order to get the length of the ridge beam, the angle of the cut on the ridge beam, and the angle of the main roof panels in the valleys (front and back). sheesh, when i type it all out it seems like i'll never finish it.
    karl,
    order some lights and a battery harness from evan designs and get to the lighting. if a non-soldering nitwit like me can figure it out, any body can. seriously. i went from terrified to try it to happy as clam that i did.
  • i went downstairs to get at it, and i just had a realization/setback. i have to cut out and side another gable wall for above the veranda end. sheesh....
    one step forward,.......
  • Is the hotel going to be open before my reservation date? lol Keep at it. There is not a hard date you have to be open by.

Rick
  • rick,
    due to social distancing requirements, we will not be opening for this year's fishing season. please go to the norton fish camp website and request a full refund.
  • thanks ed. i'll more than double the speed cutting 5" strips....

i gotta lotta modeling left to do to call this sucker finished.
  • Kevin, it does look fantastic. Just had to have a bit of fun with you. That is a huge project, larger than I want to tackle. Congrats on your persistence and progress...and especially on the lighting.

Rick
  • thanks ed and rick. rick, kudos to you for simplifying the lighting, and ed, kudos to you for talking me in off the ledge on the shingles.

a couple shots showing off my new found lighting talents...
    the poker game from the side. not very visible, but i know its there.
    poker game 3

the balcony is just leaning against the front wall....

lit across the front

lit straight ahead

lit from the left
  • Wow - what a large project! Very impressive.
  • I'm really happy you took the plunge on lighting. Now your models will be a a higher level yet. Looking really good.

Rick
  • thanks jay,
    rick, me too. thanks.
  • Looks very nice. As do the guitars... :smiley:
  • thanks robert. guitars are pretty idle these days....
  • Nice job lighting certain rooms. The close up of the siding really shows off the level of detail.
  • thanks fellers.
  • I remember the first time I built a staircase to the second floor without a jig. You learn a lot of patience one tread at a time.
  • The neat part with the light boxes.....is mot every window (room) has the lights on....
  • edited May 2020
    that was the idea behind building the lightboxes around the window. i didn't want light in every window, cuz i didn't think it would look good.
    my next lighting project is hopefully going to be a light on a telephone pole illuminating the piers. not sure how im gonna be able to do that cuz i need to figure out how to hide the wires.
  • kebmo said:

not sure how im gonna be able to do that cuz i need to figure out how to hide the wires.

I have used a styrene tube instead of a wooden rod in the past.
    You can grain it in just the same way you would a wooden one very nicely and easily. Prime it grey and it stains just the same as wood with chalks and alcohol.
    Run the wires down the inside of the tube and plug the hole in the top, clay, putty, whatever.
    Easy solution.