visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• I agree, these are very well done.
  • thanks ed and robert. i appreciate the kind words.
  • Blinds are a nice touch
  • Looking good. Phil
  • i redid the "light box" for the two windows shown above. i expanded it a bit to include one window on the left wall. painted the ceiling white and the two walls baby blue. i'm thinking of staging a poker game in the room.
  • Love the claps......I just got more stuff from Evans and plan on lighting up the foundry and my maintenance diorama…..
  • thanks brian, phil and muddy.....
  • whilst waitng for some copper tape to get here i thought i'd rip out the lightbox around the lower left widows and rebuild it so that the interior could be seen from the left side window too. i don't know how visible it will be, but at least i know its there...
    {its jitting on top of a couple of 1-2-3 squares, it hasn't been installed on the front wall yet)
    front window view:
    poker game 1

side window view:

poker game 2

yes i did take the time to cut out 5 scale sized playing cards for each guy. even drew pips on em...
    speaking of guys, the players are the only lps in that box 0f 100 crappy people that were seated. all four in the same position.
    i also painted a standing guy that'll be silhouetted in one of the windows.
  • Is that enough beer on the table?
  • its a fresh round.....
  • edited April 2020
    That will be a great scene Keb !! Looks a bit like some kind of spiritual occult seance. Can we let old Paddy, may he rest in peace, talk through the bottles ?? Will they move?? :smiley:

Storytelling is important isn't it?
  • Robert.G said:

That will be a great scene Keb !! Looks a bit like some kind of spiritual occult seance. Can we let old Paddy, may he rest in peace, talk through the bottles ?? Will they move?? :smiley:

Storytelling is important isn't it?

isn't that what a poker game is? a spiritual occult seance??
    bottles won't move, they've been glued. but if paddy wants to pop down to earth and make a visit to four of the ornerest fellers in town, he's more than welcome.

btw, whoever wins this poker game gets dibs on the sandbar tomorrow. hear tell thats the spot for the walleyes.....

• i got my copper tape yesterday, but i'm working on an abandoned 2-stall outhouse to put behind the building so the lighting is gonna wait. i figured since the prototype was built in 1863 there has to be an outhouse or two for the folks to use since there was no indoor plumbing. i poured a "concrete' pad out of plaster and framed the walls with 2 x 4s and i'll probably start adding siding boards today.
    thanks for the inspiration robert!
  • Are the stalls one on top of the other?
  • Side by side
  • the outhouse framing rear and side walls. i'm still working on the front wall:
    outhouse framing
    and the siding boards after a mineral spirit treatment and an a/i wash:
    outhouse boards1

outhouse boards 2

outhouse boards 3

i hope to get the walls sided tonight. when the walls are sided i'm gonna hit with quite a bit of powder. my goal is to age the outhouse considerably because it's long abandoned.
    i'm open to suggestions.....
  • Keep on keeping on. Looks great. Rick
  • Paint turned out great
  • thanks rick and bryan. i want to make it look pretty decrepit. any suggestions?
  • Look at photos of real outhouses long out of service. Plenty of them out there. Rick
  • kebmo said:

thanks rick and bryan. i want to make it look pretty decrepit. any suggestions?

A split board or 2. Rotting areas at ground level. Gray wash rubbed into paint job. Moss/slime growing at ground level. Missing board replaced with board of different color.
  • I agree with everything Bryan suggests. looks great so far.
  • Peeling paint turned out GREAT!
  • Kevin, you did it! The peeling paint looks just great. WOW!
  • thanks bryan. i've been planning a ken type rotted area in the bottom corner/rear but i like the gray wash idea. and mossy slime too. that'll be near the rotted section.
    thanks joel. i got the side walls sided this afternoon.
    thanks tom. i like the way it turned out.
    thanks steve. gonna crush on.....

i'm pretty excited. brett emailed me yesterday (or maybe the day before, i can't remember) and let me know that the logging and tractor repair and a set of disconnects will be here in a couple days. can't wait to see the castings in the logging and tractor repair shed.
  • Indeed it is !!!!
  • i "poured" a scale 8 x 8 "concrete pad for the outhouse. i mixed three different grays into the plaster to eliminate the whiteness and i attacked it with a wire brush trying for that old concrete look. i scraped some ochre chalk on it and some burnt umber and washed it in with black a/i. it still doesn't look very concrety to me and if you guys have some concrete coloring tips, i'd sure appreciate them.
  • Great stuff, Keb. I like the poker players watching that huge moth attacking the overhead!
  • thanks eric. the pathetic poker players where the only sitters in this box fulla crappy lps that i bought via amazon100 lps
    they aren't worth doing any surgery on.
  • I'm eager to try that mineral spirit one.