visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Detailing Castings

124»

Comments

• The scrapping scene details are being worked out for O'Neills. I have primed all the castings that will be used and am formulating the overall plan. The iron fence has been detailed as shown below. I primed in brown then applied white paint and removed most of that and then rusted. This fence is the backdrop for the boiler scrapping portion of the diorama. Will update the O'Neills page as this comes together...Ken

PB180014A
  • Some extraordinary work on this build, Ken. Can't wait to get mine.
  • Well thank you George, appreciate your thoughts. You'll love this kit. Such an iconic SierraWest product, packed full of character and wonderful details.
  • Fence looks really good Kenny.
  • I love the look of the fence and like engine909 I appreciate your willingness to share. I am having a really thick moment so HELP please. What glue did you use for the two parts of the fence and also the hand trucks etc please?
  • Thanks Alan, looks much better planted with details around...more on that...

Hey Ed, the girls in college called me Kenny, and for my mom it was Kenneth...but I'll answer to most anything! Thanks for your kind comments Ed and enjoy sharing the goods on things...working diligently on the Denver trip...

Michael, I used good ole white Elmers glue very sparingly. I use it as the water proof wood glue dries a bit fast and the white glue allows a bit of repositioning before setting. I then weighted down the fence assembly so it dried flat, nice and tight.
  • I just completed the detailing of the two open top boilers that will populate the boiler and tank scrapping scene for O'Neills. The finish on one is general rust and the other a bit more galvanized weathering appearing with oxidation. These guys will be strategically placed in the scene with cut up boilers and old tubes scattered around with other details...more later...Ken

PB200017A
  • I like them and they look impressive and Elmers well Aileens was perfect for the back to back gluing. Michael
  • Wow, those boilers are just fantastic.
  • Once again Brett comes through with a one-of-a-kind casting collection! These boilers are just fantastic with incredible detail and versatility in effect as you decide the finish and how many tubes and where in the boiler end they go. I love this as not only will the weathering finish be unique for each modeler the configuration of the tubes will be as well. Small issue that pays big dividends in the end result! I went with hollow tubes as I wanted some to have their ends crushed a bit here and there, but solid styrene tubes look great as well. I get excited about detailing one premier SWSM casting, let alone working the entire kit to completion...you talk about value!!

Thanks so much Brett for your thumbs up on these guys...

Appreciate that Michael. Glad to hear the Elmers equivalent worked well for you.
  • Excellent work, Ken. Perfectly shows two different stages of age and deterioration on these little boilers.
  • Thanks Bill and nice to hear from you.

Here's a fun little casting that I just finished up...wonderful 1:87 scale casting...Ken

PB200019
  • I bet you made an HO Scale letter, then made an HO Scale stamp. Licked it, placed it on the envelope then took it to the local post office and had them hand cancel it...
  • Ken,
    There was a mail box in the castings? I missed that. That shiny hinge on the flag is great. Your finishes on the boilers are up to Dr. Grunge standards. Wonderful!

Mitch
  • How do you model HO scale saliva? I also want to see the HO scale cancellation stamp...
  • Brett, I bet you are right. Ken, let us see the letter and please a tutorial on the stamp making. Kidding aside, your details are just great!!

Geezerbill
  • Stamp stuck to my tongue and I think I swallowed it!

Right Mitch, it's a white metal casting. Thanks for your take on the boilers, they are wonderful castings....Dr. Grunge

Mailman already stopped by while I was looking for the stamp that I think I swallowed. He wanted to know why O'Neills wasn't done yet! Told him to mind his own beeswax...Ken
  • Thanks Ed, appreciate it.
  • Ken Did I spy some extra angle "iron" supports along the sides of the Kerosene tank?
  • Ed...yea, he did! I really like it when someone looks with a critical eye...well done.

Michael, very good...you are correct. When I assembled the trusses for the tank to the tank platform, mine settled in with a more parallel attitude than the designed angle (closer at the top and wider at the bottom). This allowed the top edges of the trusses to be a wider fit and there was a gap on both sides of the tank. The angle iron closed this gap. My error my fix kind of thing.
  • Not that we don't make mistakes...it's how good we fix um!
  • Unbelievable!!!
  • Thanks much Phil, appreciate that.
  • Hi Ken
    I am way back in my construction but currently looking for some hose for the Kerosene tank. Any thoughts please? Not having thing suitable I am thinking of 0.6mm or 0.8mm shrink tubing (electrical). I will probably have to get that small size from China but plenty to do while I wait delivery.
    I know its not essential I aspire to reach a lowly proportion of your incredibly high standard.
    Michael
  • Well thanks Michael. For my hoses I use either .015" or .022" solder wire. it takes the blackening well and of course shapes effortlessly.

Finishing up O'Neills today and should be poised to begin taking final photos tomorrow. Of course as I go through my punch list I find little do-dads that need done..

Ken
  • Appreciated Ken. It was the way you shaped it over the tap nozzle that made me think it was heat shrink tubing. Michael
  • What a great resource to have for those of us waiting to begin our builds
  • I use solder as well. It's very easy to work with. Phil