visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Detailing Castings

Comments

• So I have a bit of a reprieve? That's the plan I have adopted, that is to treat each casting like a model into itself...as you stated. Thanks for your intuitive insight here and your kind comments. Next up will be the Oil Drum Rack as I mentioned. I love the nudging!...gets me motivated to hit the bench...thanks. Ken
  • Going the extra mile detailing oil drums. Exceptional work! You keep showing us what is possible. More please.
  • Appreciate that Mitch, and thanks for your thoughts. Enjoying following along on your O'Neills as well...great work.

Here is the finished Oil Drum Rack. I decided to first feature it without any oil drums to highlight the wonderful detail Brett came up with here. This was so easy to construct with the laser cut framing and detailed assembly instructions. I primed with brown and then rusted fairly heavily. I will then decide how many drums will go on the rack then add some oil grunge appropriately, then plant in the scene along the side of the Welding Shop.

PA270016

PA270023
  • PA270019

Here's one for scale...

Ken
  • Nice rack!
  • Thanks for noticing...!
  • Very nice Ken! Look forward to seeing the barrels on the rack.

Bill
  • Thanks Bill...how about barrels on the rack and the rack nestled in amongst all the other wonderful SWSM castings poised along side the Welding Shop?...I know...get busy!
  • It's going to look really Great Ken!

Bill
  • Quick couple of pics of the Oil Drum Rack with the final details added before it gets planted next to the Welding Shop. Bucket was made from aluminum tubing and solder for the handle...Ken

PA290016

PA290019

PA290024
  • edited October 2016
    That's so good Kenny...looks like it could be O Scale. I like the tip on how you made the bucket.

Nice job my boy...
  • Really appreciate that Alan.
  • Just amazing craftsmanship Ken.

Bill
  • Ken your great guidance on detailing these castings will keep me busy for a few weeks while I try and work out where I had got to on the main build. Implementing some of your tips is certainly expanding my modelling techniques. Thanks Michael
  • That rack takes HO Scale to a whole new level there!!!
  • Thanks Brett, your fabulous laser cut detail components, such as the Oil Drum Rack, are so easy to build and detail yet are light years ahead of anything else out there. Such a joy to work on and make such an impact on the overall diorama...Ken
  • Ken you have been so generous sharing your detailing techniques. I was wondering if you could share your techniques for finishing the red orange welding tanks. There seems to be silver, brown and the red orange color blended together seamlessly. Of course with your work, very realistic!
  • Ken, you continue to amaze me with your imagination and craftsmanship. Phil
  • edited October 2016
    Ahh, Mitch...glad you mentioned those tanks. O'Neills being an acetylene manufacturer, I decided to have most of my tanks in the diorama acetylene, with then a small inclusion of oxygen (green) for welding and others. My take on acetylene tank color is an orangish color...so...I primed in brown spray paint from a foo, foo, can and when that was cured (day or two) I painted them with Fireball Orange (29806), dulled to taste with SW Roof Brown (00118). Both these paints are from Brett's Paint Set I purchased here. This dulled orange was then applied in one coat. Once that paint was dry to the touch (10-15 min) I picked and scarped the paint to taste with a #11 blade and a sharpened toothpick. Then a light going over with fine steel wool to thin down and smooth the paint. Finish with a dusting of chalk.
  • Well thank you Phil appreciate that very much.
  • Good idea on the steel wool Dr Grunge. Ill definately give that a go when my O scale version gets here.
  • Good Wes, let me know what you think. This is an issue with the smaller scales as the paint after weathering appears too thick sometimes, so the steel wool thins the paint down and gives it a nice look I think.
  • Thanks much Bill and missed your comment and the next some how. Appreciate your critique and your work you've posted as well.

Certainly glad to hear there is some information here you can glean Michael. I get to staging all the castings before detailing and get so many layers going I have to take a picture so I can remember where things go after detailing!
  • Ken, your work is truly an inspiration to others of us in HO, showing what is really achievable. Thanks for the tips. I can compare 'side by side' with what I am doing. Oh, well. Makes my work come out better, if not matching.
  • Thank you very much Frank and glad to hear there is some info. here you can use. Look forward to seeing some of your work...Ken
  • Quick casting I just finished. This is the small styrene stack for the Welding Shop of O'Neills. Note the steel rod mounting aid Epoxied to the inside of the hollow stack. I made small "dimples" around the stack to simulate spot welds where the stove pipe stack was welded together. I primed in brown then weathered. Also note the darker chalk around the top where soot would accumulate...Ken

PB150014A
  • Ken you must have 15-15 vision. Nice work.
  • edited November 2016
    You're right Mitch...some close detail work here...thanks.

Appreciate that Ed and every casting, no matter how small, works toward the overall appearance of the finished diorama, so time well spent...Ken
  • Ken your philosophy of treating every part of the kit as a seperate mini kit is a good one. The final results are just a sheer joy to look at.

I mean spot welds on an HO scale stack is just crazy. You keep raising the bar higher and higher. Really wish I could get to see this in person one day.
  • Appreciate that Wes. A bit out there on that level of detailing but it's the sum of the parts kind of thing and I really enjoy hearing from those that "get-it" like yourself. Thank goodness for the forum being a vehicle to get us all together as meeting everyone is something we would all love to do, just not practical in many cases...like yours...South Africa for crying out loud! GeeWiz...just messin with ya Wes, some day maybe?...