visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Detailing Castings

Although the part discussed here is being applied to O'Neills Fabrication, I thought it appropriate to start a new discussion regarding the detailing of castings so as not to muddle up the O'Neills build thread with casting issues that can be applied across all builds.

One problem I have encountered, and would assume others have as well, is keeping the various exhaust stacks, particularly the heavier metal castings, that are mounted on steep pitched roofs from moving whilst the epoxy or other adhesives dry. The castings from Brett are unquestionably the finest in the industry...period! They come with the correct angle cast in the base for mounting on the various roof pitches in the kits. An epoxy "blob" is applied to the base and when "gummy" or "tacky" set in place. I like my stacks, most often, straight and level so I'm constantly leveling my stack as it dries and I have had instances where the stack starts to slide down the roof a bit leaving an unsightly epoxy "skid mark" on the roof!

As a result I have used the following simple technique that elevates the issue completely allowing me ample time to "fiddle" with keeping my stack positioned vertically where I want it without fear of it slipping down the roof:

As part of my fine detailing of these stacks, I file the angled base as flat as I can being mindful not to change the angle cast in the stack base. I then drill a hole in the base at the same angle of the stacks vertical attitude. I then epoxy a small pre-cut piece of metal rod into the hole with several millimeters protruding from the base (see illustration below). I make sure to clean and epoxy that smushes (it's a word...look it up!) out of the hole so the angled flat base fits cleanly on the roof. Once dry I then proceed with blackening the stack and final weathering. The epoxy is impervious to the blackening and keeps the blackening solution out of the hole which can be difficult to flush out even with soaking in water.

I then carefully drill a hole in the appropriate location on the roof at an angle that is close to the angle of the stack. this doesn't have to be exact. I then proceed with the epoxy "blob" and insert the rod into the hole in the roof and am now assured the stack will stay in place with my only concern being the vertical orientation which I can easily keep an eye on until fully dry. The hole in the roof should be a bit bigger than the rod to allow for vertical adjustments.

P7300014

Exhaust stack for O'Neills Fabrication, Tower application. Note the rod protruding from drilled hole in angled base.

P7300019

Close up of same. Note the file marks on the stack pipe. All part of fine casting detail prep.

P7300021

Stack ready for blackening and final detail weathering. Note the stack weather cap. I drilled out the metal casting material from under the curved cap which is virtually impossible to cast that way but illustrates the level of detail that these wonderful castings deserve.

Comments

• P7300014

Better image illustrating the drilled out cap detail...
  • That's a mighty fine explanation and how to. Really takes the casting to another level. I like the idea of a thread like this to see how the castings are being weathered and then utilized.
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks Brett and I have been meaning to get a thread like this started and will continue to expand on it as I work through the generous numbers of O'Neills castings, both metal and resin. As it has been said before me, "treat each casting like a model into itself" and you'll be amazed at the results you obtain...Ken
  • Thanks for the explanation. The hole you drilled doesn't look round but more square...the way its suppose to look. Did you use a small file to square off the edges?
  • Alan, I used a #11 blade to clean out and shape the hole. Cool you noticed that!
  • Ken, that is a fantastic idea to keep the roof castings in place while adjusting and glueing.

Jim
  • Oh yea Jim, works like a charm. I just finished up the Tower Roof details; a final and an exhaust stack and the exhaust stack is glued to the Tower Roof that has a very steep pitch. I just stuck it on and just kept an eye on it for vertical straightness with no fear of it tipping over or sliding down the roof. Pictures coming up in a few hours...Ken
  • Ken,
    What a simple but GREAT idea. It's one of those "why in the heck didn't I think of that." I have had that problem many times. Thanks so much for sharing it along with all your other wonderful modeling skills!

Bill
  • Glad to know someone else has experienced the same thing Bill and appreciate your comments here. I plan to add to this thread on detailing and working up castings more specifically for O'Neills, as there are other threads on detailing castings, but applicable to all of course. Thanks again...Ken
  • Thanks Ken. Ill be sure to bookmark that idea. If you have anymore, please post them.
  • The next featured castings I detailed from the O'Neills collection are the two scalloped resin hanging lamps. One gets positioned under the Dock Overhang and the other centered under the addition.

I decided to use a main support rod with external wiring to dress up these guys a bit and add a different look compared to the other three external lamps.

I started by measuring the support rod (brass rod included in the kit) length to where I wanted the lamps to be positioned and cut. I then blackened both support rods. After a light buffing I primed in brown paint and when that cured went back over with an off white. Once the white was dry to the touch I picked at the paint with a tooth pick and then weathered with chalks. The lamp shades were primed and painted green and then picked and weathered with chalks. I then drilled a small hole in the side of the shade base and took some thin thread and weathered with chalks and glues one end in the h9ole and then wrapped and glued the other end to the tip of the rod. This portion will not show as it is mounted up under the overhead roofs. A small blob of epoxy simulating a light bulb and theses guys are ready to install.

P9110014

P9110014a
  • Here's a silhouette shot of the light assembly installed under O'Neills Addition.

P9110016
  • edited September 2016
    Finished up the wonderfully detailed resin Sump Casting. Concrete pad and steel sump grate...

• Awesome work on the Sump Platform.
  • Thanks Alan, a great casting from SWSM for sure.
  • Looks great Ken. The concrete is excellent.

-Steve
  • What colors did you use to paint it? Just Brett's concrete color? Also, what did you do for the cool rusting look on top?
  • These are great lampshades. Thanks for your info on detailing them. I hope to install LEDs in mine when I get that far.
  • Thanks Steve. That casting is just great to work with.

Alan, primed with grey spray paint then followed with brushed on concrete. Highlighted cracks and texture by brushing on dry black chalk and wiping off excess with my fingers leaving the low areas dark then followed with light dusting on top with a dark rust and 408.3.

Appreciate that Jerry. Texture appears a bit rough due to the close shot but at scale looks much smoother. Will get a few shots soon of the lights installed on the Main Building
  • Very, Very nice Ken!

Bill
  • Well Dr. Grunge has struck again. Love the sump casting and the profile shot of the lamp is excellent!
  • Hey Bill, appreciate that. Amazing detail cast into that sump pad.

Thanks much Brett and couldn't pass up sharing the cool profile shot of the lamp.
  • Dr grunge is a very appropriate name for sure. Great castings Ken.
  • I've been called much worse Wes!...Dr. Grunge is my name...dirt and grime is my game!
  • Next up is the Welding Shop "Kerosene" tank. As most of you know, I love tanks and this one is wonderfully designed with the laser cut supports that are thin and so prototypical. I weathered the tank by applying a base coat of primer, and in this case brown, once this was cured I applied an application of Reaper SW Concrete from my SierraWest paint set available on the web-site here. Once dry to the touch I used the wire brush technique and careful targeted picking and scraping of the top coat exposing the primer coat. This was followed by a dusting of rust chalk and some black around the valve, etc..

I worked mine up with a hose lopped around the valve for effect, but certainly not something that needs to be done for this tank to look great. Supports were primed and rusted with chalk. Next up will be the Oil Drum Tipping Cradle...Ken

I may have gotten a bit carried away with the pictures...oh well...suffer through it!

P9160021

P9160020

P9160029

P9160030

P9160032

P9160023
  • Just in case you're going to suggest I climb up there and clean that vent out...here's a shot of how small this thing is and the incredible detail Brett designed into it...Ken

P9160014
  • Tank looks awesome Kenny...kust kinda disappointed you didnt add welding joints...lol
  • Looks great Ken. The rust looks terrific