visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Joel's Lineside Shed

124»

Comments

• OK now some ground cover. never did this before but I wanted a loamy kinda wet earth appearance so I used WS ground foam as my base. Then I sprinkled on crushed leaves and some small branches (same as the dry river beds) and I added some coarse dark green foam which I hate and have to dab with AI to dull the colour. I left little flags for where the trees go...

Then I glued in the trees and added the weeds and grass and sprinkled on some leaves. The fall is so lovely up here I decided to copy it (as best I can). I placed the buildings temporarily as I futz around trying different combinations of castings and junk piles. Also have to get the lamps working. Just a hint of what this will look like.
  • Joel nice coloring on the trees. Looks like an early Fall day.

Jerry
  • love this thread. Thanks for posting. I can't believe how much work you're getting done. Would take me like 10 years...!
  • Ok well the backround module is almost complete. Just some birds, a tree or 3 and some leaves scattered about to finish it off.imageimageimageimage

Here's a small retaining wall using balsa wood and asphaltum (with a touch of chalk)

It will hold up the mine head.

And here is a teaser of how it all goes together with out the foreground structures -image

In some ways the bacround module alone is stronger than the whole. Probably because it's most detailed, possibly because it is inspired by (copied from) Brett's work.
  • Fantastic work - I love looking at these pictures. Keep them coming.
  • Looking great Joel, that's one really impressive structure in the foreground....

Karl.A
  • Yes, that monster is uber-awesome!
  • wow... only one of those western headframe kits I have ever seen built at it is mighty impressive there JF!
  • Great job on that Headframe Joel. Do you have the hoist house to???

Jerry
  • Superb work Joel, I'm really enjoying following along...although quietly... (the guy pooring coffee is a blast).

Paul
  • Hi all. Boy have I been delinquent in posting. Been busy trying to get all this done. It'll likely be 95% done so I will probably bring it along to the show.

Yes Jerry there is a hoist house with full interior and motorized winch. Not sure if the motor will be working and it certainly won't be moving any cars up and down the Headframe. The interior is loaded with all the SierraWest goodies from previous shows and my left overs from last years model. Doors will come.image

Now to finish the eponymous Lineside Shed. Bill told me about "steam punk" last year and since I couldn't find old broken watched I bought about 10 bucks worth and soaked them in blackening solution.image

Now I've got to say I've tried to make my workbenches better than Brett's but I've learned to just about copy the benches and junk piles. He is a true artist and that is part of what I'm paying for in the kit. I've added 3-4 pieces of steam punk but that's really the only changes:
    imageimage

Here's one of my creation:

Now to glue down the Lineside shed (lights are installed and working)

Now just one more structure and I can detail the diorama a bit more.
  • Sweet! I'm just working on the shed now. Love the gully beside it by the way. Did you light with LEDs or standard grain of whatever bulbs?
  • Most of the watches I've found have plastic gears and such - can be painted and all but not as good as the metal ones- usually older watches have the good stuff but hard to find...
  • All LED. I find they are easier to work with and can be made to look like a scale bulb by dabbing them with a coat or two of weldbond (I'm sure epoxy would work too).
  • Hi Joel,
    What a fantastic scene! Would love to see more pictures when you have time after the show.
    Jim
  • Ah, now I know what steampunk is ( not as hip to the scene as I once was) - just bought a batch of gears.
  • edited January 2021
    Alex.R got me distracted from my Blue Sky mission last night when I saw his 'cat' build in his thread...
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1184/truck-repair-and-other-randomness/p1

after some time admiring his build, which led me to his Wood Cutter dio (another hour spent reading that thread) ...
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1066/my-second-diorama-wood-cutters-shack/p1

I thought of Joels 'cat' in this thread.

This thread of Joels has always been one that inspires me on so many levels so I spent a couple of hours last night finding it again and then reading it all from p1.
    I thought I'd bounce it back up for others to read and admire Joels superb scenery, magnificent modeling, delicious detailing and quite simply, amazing achievement.

If you havent seen it before... enjoy. If you have... enjoy again.

• Thanks Karl for the kind words.
  • Joel, i plan on incorporating a retaining wall and was going to use the same deadman anchors.

The detail work is wonderful, thanks for sharing!