visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Joel's Lineside Shed

Comments

• Nice progress. Looks like a porcupine got mad at your wall in the first pic.
  • Joel nice job on the windows. Easy way to do them. Thanks for showing.

Jerry
  • really nice work Joel,

a new challenge is always a satisfying accomplishment.

Karl.A
  • Joel-
    This is looking great! The chalk idea is becoming a signature of your builds and one that I'm going to try in short order. What type of fixative are you using--rather than Dullcote?

Also, this texture is outstanding!

In real sunlight it will be indecipherable from the real thing! Just fantastic! You O scale guys are killing me!!

Bill

• Gey Bill glad you like it. I use Krylon workable Fixative. It's designed to fix pastels and chalks so it doesn't dissolve them or wash them away like dullcote.
  • Beautiful color. Enough weathering but not overdone.

Jerry
  • Ok finished the windows and added some blinds ( yellow paper with AI) and some bracing.- reminds me of the old Finescale kits. I have to finish up the hinges but it was a nice day so I took a picture outside to give the general idea....image
  • Beautiful Joel.
  • looks fantastic, amazing what decent lighting reveals. Looks very real. Still loving your knotwork.
  • I finished the doors for the lineside shed and attached the smaller roof. I fit in a few pieces of left over scrap stripwood so I can have the tarpaper peeling back (like it rarely does on a building in use)imageimage
  • Joel,
    I have been really enjoying your build. The color of the siding and knotholes are fantastic.
    I kept looking at the shingles and the colors are very realistic ( I had wood shingles on a previous house). Looking foward to seeing more of your build.
    Jim
  • Glad to hear you are following along but I'm really just making it up as go along. New discovery this week - Balsa wood. I used to build airplanes from it years ago but I've used bass for the last 20 years (except my birch veneer). I wanted to make the "Plates" on which the bunkhouse sits and needed some 3/16 stock. i found some balsa at michael's and tried my old techniques. It was so soft it got chewed up by my wire brush.
    really pleased with the results. You can see it along the bottom of the building. Also I finished the door hinges and hung some horse shoes to indicate Bunkhouse #2 (not sure if there will be room for #1 yet).
    imageimage

Now on to the latrine car and then the roofs.
  • very nice... love, love the rust streaks from the horseshoes. The horseshoes always remind me of my dad. He used to have a dozen or so hanging in the garage... Door handle looks awesome. Subtle fine detail my dear friend!
  • Joel- Thanks for all the tips on new things I can try- birch veneer, balsa, Krylon fixative for the pastels, pre-staining the toothpicks, using the "flat" pastels, etc., etc. Most informative thread I've seen in a while.

Question- when you did the peeling red paint , was the base color done with pastels, and what did you use for a "resist", and what did you use to lift the peeled away red? Your peeling red effect is outstanding, because as you know it's much easier to achieve with white because of the contrast.
  • Those last two pics are just pure quality Joel, really nice work.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Mike and Karl. Small problem with working on the backround buildings last is that I'm learning as I work and they are coming out the best.

As far as the question of peeling paint. Nothing new - just Chuck Doan's mineral spirit tequnique. i finish the strip wood same as always (even though the chalk gets stripped away) and then liberally brush with mineral spirits until I get a shenn. Then 2-3 coats of polly S paint in quick succession. Then some quick cuts in the almost dry paint (5 min) with an xacto knife along the grain. Then scotch tape with minimal pressure. peel off and repeat until happy.
  • Wow Joel love the finish on the walls, makes me want to do an O scale build.
    cheers
    Dave
  • OK a nice sunny day and I've almost finished the bunkhouse. Just need to add some moss to the roof and add a little mold to the bottom of some boards. I neglected a couple of windows on the back for interest and because it was so time consuming to make them.

Question: Does the building need rafter tails? I'm debating and not sure both aesthetically and architechturally. What do you think?

imageimage

Now on to the Latrine car.
  • Absolutely superb Joel, beautiful colouring and finish. Very impressive modeling.

As for your question...... yes to rafter tails, both aesthetically and architechturally.

Karl.A
  • edited August 2013
    Another thought for you..... I would also add NBWs along the short wall sub floor. at around 4' spacing.
    I'm guessing they are 1/8" square strip wood. This would suggest that the side base is bolted to the long sides with lag bolts.
    Just a detail idea for you.

Karl.A
  • Love the coloring and yes to the rafter tails. This was a very nice build Joel looking forward to the next one.

Jerry
  • Well done Joel, superb work, and yes to the rafter tails...

Paul
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Joel,
    The bunk house looks fantastic. The shingles and siding color is just superb. The rafter tails and NBWs idea will really add more detail and aesthetics to an amazing build. Go for it!
    Jim
  • Ok well the votes are in and I added the rafter tails and NBWs. Also added some moss to the roof and green chalk to some of the moisture damage along the bottom edge of the building.
    When I added the moss some of the shingles lifted and warped. It may add something to the piece. The day here is cloudy but the pictures aren't bad.

imageimage
  • Joel, Very, very nice! The faded gray siding is spot on and the mossy roof and subtile amount of moss along the bottom is perfect and NOT overdone...hard not to do once you get going. Swear I just saw someone walk by the open window....Ken
  • edited August 2013
    Sweet colouring Joel, the added details certainly add a lot to the overall structure, very nicely done.

The lifted shingles are holding moisture, resulting in dampnesss and thus the moss grew.... ;~) makes sense to me.

Karl.A
  • Beautiful job on the coloring at the bottom. The moss with the lifted shingles excellent.

Jerry
  • Great work Joel, moss on the roof and green (mold?) growing up the sides, well done.

Paul
  • Thanks guys. Well now to build the latrine car. Same stuff basically and I'm half way along.