visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard build

Comments

• MMM. The castings. Let the games begin.

Look forward to it.
  • Hello All,

Moving along with the build, the roof top water tank is next. Drilled a hole for the spout and then painted the casting with Floquil Earth, followed with Poly Scale Roof Brown to bring out the details.

Next was Blacken-It for the pipe, small plastic containers makes for a handy containment, I also use old pill bottles for the larger castings.

The tank resting temporarily on the platform:

Attaching the legs to the platform, the ¼” sq stock comes in handy for aligning the legs and also gluing on the cross braces.

The final assembly and test fitting on the Warehouse roof:

Next will be finishing up the Yardmasters roof and gluing to the Warehouse, followed by the roof vent and chimney castings.

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • nice work as usual!
  • That little platform seems such a small part compared to the rest of the structure Paul, however, the time and effort you have put into it really shows and the small part is as well done as the larger parts.
    Thanks again for taking the time to post these updates, it's really appreciated by many of us.

Karl.A
  • Hi Paul,
    I am really enjoying watching your build. Great job on the build. I really like the water tank coloring. Another of Brett's kits I have to have. I didn't have plans for a warf on my layout but after looking at your build I am going to make room.
    Jim
  • I came back for another look and I have to say your colouring of the resin tank looks just like wood at this point, real nice.

Karl.A
  • This looks fantastic Paul.

John
  • You've done a fine job Paul.

Where did you get the drill bit set?
  • Thanks Mike
  • Great job on the tank. It sure looks like wood with the coloring
  • edited March 2013
    Hello All,

Thanks Karl, John, Wes and Mike, always appreciated.

I’ve been slowly progressing with the Shipyard, not as fast as I would like since I’ve started building the benchwork for my layout in the basement. I’m tentatively thinking of a free lanced version of the Kettle Valley Railway in south-eastern BC circa '40-‘50s.

Now back to the Shipyard. Managed to complete and attach the Yard Office to the Warehouse. Here’s the starting point
    with trimming of the shingles that butt against the Warehouse wall.

The next few pic’s show capping the roof ridge with shingles. Note: you need to cut the whole length of the shingle from
    the spline in order for the shingle to lay over the ridge evenly spaced with the other shingles (this was figured out when
    laying the cap ridge for the main building).

Now for the Yard office rafters, cut from the supplied jig. Much easier than the main building due to the small size of the
    office.

The Yard Office attached to the Warehouse:

Next will be adding the roof detail castings and then onto the landing and loading docks.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Thank-you for the point on how to cut the single shingles to have proper length for caps. I would have erred and I appreciate you protecting me from that oops.
    Nice job on the roof.
  • Great work, Paul. Was following your thread for over ayear now in the background.
  • Great work on the roof Paul, colour blends in perfectly and rice tight fit against the warehouse wall.
    Although they can be barely seen at normal viewing angles the rafter tails add so much character and interest to a roof line, just the end showing makes all the difference.
    Really nice.

Karl.A
  • Hi Paul,
    The yardmaster office really looks great with the main structure. Everything blends really well. I really enjoy all the pictures you post (the more the better). Looking foward to seeing the loading and landing docks.
    Jim
  • Good to see you back Paul.

The office is a real beauty.
  • Hi Paul - enjoyed your update.
    Wayne Woodland
  • great build.....can't wait for more

Scott
  • Hello All,

Thanks Alan, Karl, us_okrim, Jim, Wes, Wayne and Scott, always appreciated and good to know you're following along with my endeavours.

Progress is a bit slow on my shipyard since I’m also building the benchwork for the lay-out downstairs (… almost done, with a plausible track plan made in 3rd PlanIt s/w in the works) and a location for the Shipyard, the first area you'll see coming down the stairs... I'm thinking of building the diorama in place so I guess I'll be unable to call it a diorama but rather a cool scene on the layout, we'll see....

Back to the warehouse roof, glued in place the tank support and tank:

After spraying the chimney with a grey primer, dry bushed with an acrylic Engine Red. Latter on will use powders to tone down the red.

Gluing the roof vents (5 min Epoxy mixed with Poly Scale Tarnished black), and the bus bar weights to hold them in place (trickiest part for me…. holding them in place ‘til the epoxy sets ).

Moving on with building the landings and docks.

Back to staining the boards, same process as was used on the main buildings walls. The work surface was cleared of clutter and all left overs bagged and bottled … I’m sure the bits of wood will come in handy cluttering up the shipyard when scenicing…

Taped the Left Landing Dock template to my glass surface and then wax paper on top. Spot glued the strip wood guides to the was paper following the template markings.

Cut the individual planks with the Chopper and distressed one end along with extra stain (dark A&I) on the plank ends.

Next will be … more landings and the main dock. Now off to the work bench for more planking...

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Slow progress is not bad when it looks this good. I would recommend building as a diorama and planting into the layout instead of building directly onto the layout. This way if you ever change the layout you can move this as a whole.
  • Paul-
    I've been following along from a distance and need to let you know how nice this baby looks! Your roof(s) are particularly well done. Just the thought of doing the shingle work on that cupola gives me the shakes! I know what you mean about trying to epoxy any casting onto an angled roof. Grrrrr.

One thing I noticed...in pictures 2, 3 & 4 from March 15, it looks like the water tank platform is out of level (leaning to the right). Is that just from the angle of the pictures or is that the way it's supposed to be?

I any case, it continues to look great! You've gotta be getting close to the finish line, right?

Bill
  • Echo Bill's congrats'
  • I definitely support Bryans suggestion of building it as a diorama that can be removed from the the layout if needed.

Layouts change and evolve as we progress in the hobby, being able to EASILY remove a 150+ hour construction from an old layout and into the new is a definite choice I will be making.

The structure is definitely coming out beautifully in your hands.

Karl.A
  • Hello All,

I’ve thought about it for awhile now, and will definitely build as a diorama. I’ll be starting the base soon so that I can figure out how it’s going to fit into the “as to be finished” track plan. Although I’m pretty sure it will be in the part of the layout that will be first seen coming down the stairs (country back-woods water scene separate from the main layout (but connected).

Bill, I double checked on the alignment and in real life it looks true (to me), testament to Brett’s skills (no sanding or trimming required for placing it upright and square at all).

And the work continues on the landings, here’s how the left loading dock turned out:

My version of a poor mans True Sander:

Once sanded and chopped to length, installation:

Moving on to the right loading dock:

Chopping and installation of the supports:

Next will be … more landings and maybe a shot of where the diorama will be going.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• How are you doing your nail holes? That's some precision right there!
    Aren't all those legs fun?

Looking good!
    Bill
  • beautiful as usual - can't wait to see you put the whole thing together!
  • inventive True Sander. Seems to work as well as the real thing
  • Started out my layout as a logging operation, which it still is, Brett now has me planning a whole new mining operation with his sneak peek at the Deer Creek Mining Company, and now Paul, with his awesome Shipyard build, has me thinking about water for crying out loud! Great build Paul, I have been following it since the beginning and the attention to detail is obvious...great stuff. -K
  • Wow Paul what great progress. Just getting to the best part though. Beautiful job so far.