visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard build

Comments

• Hello All,

Now that I’m back from the Expo (… had a great time and if you’re anywhere near the event next year it’s well worth attending). Congrats Bill, Karl, Joel and Brett on the hardware ‘haulin’, your work is awesome. Wayne, good to hear from you, rumor has it Expo '13 will be somewhere in Conneticut....?

Now, back to the build… the roof cupola needs to be attached at this time, here’s a few pic’s of the build. Pieces cut out from laser-cut sheet and insides painted PS Roof Brown.

Strip wood left over scraps from the wall sections used on the cupola siding.

Cupola windows installed (similar to main walls)

Assembly of the cupola sides:

The cupola installed on the roof:

Back to the shingling, last row before going around the cupola:

Individual shingle on top of the dormer flashing:

Now to finish off the shingling on this side to the peak (somehow the camera white balance got screwed up with these pic’s...)

The last row to apply with smaller shingles

Staining the smaller shingles (took a few attempts trying to match the existing shingles… should have stained these at the start):

Applying the flashing around the back-side dormer:

The coloring of the flashing was done with an artists felt pen (it’ll be covered by the shingles.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Paul

Hey it was great meeting you. Glad to see you back at the bench. The roof is looking just fine.

Jerry
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jerry, I hope Sandy will not cause you to much grief.

After laying the flashing above the back-wall dormer, a starter row was applied along the edge using the spines of the
    shingle sheet, colored with a felt pen.

…shingle laying progress up the back side of the roof:

Took a pause in the shingle laying to flash around the chimney (untreated), when done the chimney was removed, otherwise it would probably get knocked off before the roof’s completion.

This was the first attempt to lay the roof peak capping shingles …

After reviewing the picture taken, I could clearly see something wrong… consulting the instructions I realized that I had not applied the last row with shorter shingles (included (but overlooked) in the kit). After staining the shingles were applied, correcting the mistake.

Finally, the roof capping shingles (just the normal shingles cut trimmed lengthwise).

… and the completed back-side …

... next will be peaking the dormer roofs and then shingling the cupola ... then the roof will be finished...finally. and now for the Patriots game...

‘til Next,
    Paul

• outstanding work on the roof Paul...
  • Very nice Paul. Shes turning out to be a real beauty.
  • looks great, I'll have to start mine one day. I like the the chimney idea saves reglueing and repairing.
  • Fantastic to see you again at the expo Paul.
    Great progress, the end is in sight....... at least for the roof, and what a wonderful job you have done with it. The structure is really looking like something special now.

Keep us updated. I for one am looking forward to it all coming together.

Karl.A
  • Hello All,

You’re right Karl, the end of the shingle laying is in site (great seeing you and the gang at the Expo, maybe I'll have this build finished for the 2013 Expo). It’ll be nice to get off the roof and back to some board on board walls for the warehouse and yardmasters office… now for capping the two dormers on the right wall:

The final stretch, the dormer roof. starting with left over shingles from the main roof applied to a laser cut form (similar material to the main roof).

Same method as the main roof in laying the shingles (except smaller pieces and a lot of trimming).

Final gluing together of the peaked cupola roof:

The next pic’s show the capping of the cupola roof seams:

… and the finished cupola roof:

… roof mounted on the cupola:

Next will be the main roof rafters and then its onto the warehouse and yardmaster attached buildings.

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • you are making great progress buddy... the roof looks outstanding!
  • Hello All,

Thanks Brett, the shinglin' was a challenge but well worth the effort.

Moving onto the main roof rafters, strip wood distressing and staining similar process as used on the main walls. There’s a nice cutting guide for getting the lengths the right size.

The fascia applied to the front and rear roof sides.

Moving onto the rafters, the bus-bar weights were used a lot to position the building on it’s end, side .. upside down etc. The placement of the rafters is pretty straight forward with the clearly defined (and seen) notch in the underside of the roof

A pic of supporting the building while raftering the back side.

And the completed rafters on the side roof.

Well, that’s it for now, next will be off the roof and onto to the warehouse / yardmaster office builds, those shingles almost got me … although next time it will be a snap.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Beautiful job Paul. Aren't these little guys fun??

Jerry
  • Hi Paul. I see how the shingles almost "got ya" , but they really turned out nice!! Keep up the great work.
    Wayne Woodland
  • Paul, I have scrolled up and down through your latest pics and I have to say,
    that is some very, VERY nice work.

Below is my favorite picture of the batch..... the long shots of the overall
    walls really look great, but, to be able to show such a close up of a HO
    model really speaks for it's quality.

There are so many great things that I noticed in this picture....

Really looking forward to your next steps, fantastic work.

Karl.A

• edited November 2012
    Hello All,

Thanks Jerry, Wayne and Karl, always appreciated. I've noticed that the main building walls details are really standing out as the structure ages ... must be something to do with the strip wood drying out after the staining (... at least I thought the strip wood was dry when a began boarding).

Now that I’m off the roof, got busy with the warehouse, first off was finding the wall templates and then treating the stripwood as it was done on the main building (same Rembrandt pastels). It was nice getting back to the boarding…

The completed warehouse door wall, awaiting trimming. Note: it’s prudent to try and not get to much glue on the strip-wood that sticks out the sides, makes it a lot harder trimming the wood without damaging the front side of the wall.

Now onto the next walls:

…. and the finished walls, trimmed and ready for the details:

… now for the doors and windows, treated the same way as the main building.

In preparation for the upcoming landscaping on the diorama, I ordered some dirt,
    apparently there was a mix up with lbs, kilos and tons.…

Next will be assembling the doors, windows, installation and glueing to the main building, then it’s off to the yardmasters office (and a new technique (for me...) on boarding scribed wall sections).

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • I'm not sure that's enough dirt... big dio you know! The door looks fantastic, I would knock down the intensity of the white with some subtle chalk powder weathering, same color as the walls to blend it in. The wood on the warehouse walls looks awesome Paul. Keep it rockin'
  • Hello All,

You're right Brett, a bit stark white on the doors, will address that soon.
    I’m also considering adding LED lighting (outsidepoles and inside the saw-mill, but not in the main building) although the plans are only in my head at the moment.

Now that the warehouse walls are made, the window/doors are installed (construction the same as was done on the main building).

The glue up …

Alignment (flush) with the main building..

There’s a piece of card stock glued to the inside back wall of the warehouse , used to provide support for the roof.

Installation of the view-block after attaching the warehouse and roof support

Next will be the warehouse roof and then it’s onto the yardmaster office.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• This may have been asked before (perhaps even by me!), but where do you get those busbar weights?
  • edited November 2012
    You have given that small simple warehouse so much interest and character with your modelling Paul. The random colours, textures and orientation of the boards is perfect. Nothing is overdone and it is still varied enough to give it some great character, nice work.

Karl.A
  • Great coloring on the warehouse Paul.

Jerry

• Hello All,

Mike, you should be able to find the bus-bars at electrical suppliers for equipment manufacturers. The copper bus-bar come in all sorts of widths, thickness and lengths... depending on the end-use, and you just need to cut them down to 2-3" lengths.

Back to the Shipyard, rolled roofing for the warehouse. Final weathering once the roof in in place (in order to get the
    correct orientation of the weathering streaks (ie water marks running down not sideways)

Now for the yardmasters office, had a lot of fun with this (new) technique for (me)……. “board-on-board-on scribed wood sheets” (best name I can come up with, if anyone knows the real name please let me know … but I love the technique and the results are really impressive,

Back to the wood staining … If I were starting over, I would stain all the strip wood required for the main structure at the Beginning of the build and put each buildings allotted amount aside and used as needed. It’s difficult to get the staining even when staining at different times (although if you’re careful you can get nice suttle variations. Now for the pic’s, which kind of speak for themselves on the process.

Loose hanging and broken boards are really easily done with this technique, much more realistic than the usual cutting and prying up pieces of the scribed wall siding… (IMO).

Finally, the end result (just need to let dry and then trim the edges). I think it was harder posting the pic’s than actually laying the boards and I must commend Brett on describing this technique, works like a charm and is so easy.

Next I’ll be finishing the other two walls (same technique) and preparing the door and windows.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Nice update Paul. You really getting me excited for starting my kit this holiday.
  • Hello All,

Thanks Wes, always appreciated.

Continuing on with the Yardmasters Office … the same technique goes on with the next 2 walls:

Note: it’s best to try and keep the glue bleed out from the edges of the scribed siding. If there’s to much glue, it becomes
    very difficult to make a clean cut through the siding boards (ie minimizing the tear out on the front side).

The package next to the wall section is my stash of #11 Exacto blades (100 lot package from the craft-store in a nice oiled
    brown paper wrapping, keeps the blades fresh) and the med bottle is full of used blades.

The completed wall sections:

The scraps left over from the boarding … should make good ground cover bits and pieces on the final diorama…

Applying the 1/8th square wall backing supports:

Back to the staining of the 1/16th sq edge trimming:

I… and the walls fully assembled with doors and windows (same procedure as used on the warehouse and main building).

Next will be bevelling the walls for fit (ie the walls are thicker than the 1/16th sq corner trim) and the glue up.

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,

Awesome job on the kit. I really like the way the siding is done on the yardmaster office.
    This technique is really amazing. It seems much easier to get siding that is broken or lifted compared to the plain scribed siding. This seems to give you much more control over the appearance of the building

Keep up the great build. Looking foward to seeing your next posts!

Jim
  • Nice job on the siding. I like how some of the boards are sagging or broken
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jim and Bryan, this technique for siding is so easy to do, just need to remember to stain the ends of the boards before gluing (and keeping the glue bleed-out away from the edges on the back side, easier to trim the edges).

Pretty much finished the Yardmasters office, just need to add the roof and shingles (…back to that…at least it’s not as high as the main roof, and there’s no dormers….). Here’s how it looks:

And the view block installation, a slit half through each piece allow easy fitting and assembly:

Location on the main building, not glued in place yet, waiting for the shinglin’ to start.

Coming up is the shingling and construction of the water tank platform.

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • Hello All,

I hope everyone has had a nice Christmas and great New Years’, lots of fun here with the festivities, snow and all.

Steady, but slow, progress on the build over the holidays, managed to finish the Yardmasters roof and weather the warehouse a bit. Here’s a few pic’s of the office prior to the roof going on:

Finished the rolled roofing on the warehouse and applied streaks (dry pastels so far) to the sides:

To late to notice the change in white balance on the camera…one of these days I’ll be a bit more consistent with the pic’s.

Gluing the roof to the office:

Back to weathering the shingles for the office, same technique as used on the main building roof. Somehow I had run out of shingles (more than likely misplaced a few sheets) finishing the main roof, Brett was kind enough to send a few extra sheets to finish off the office.

There’s a template for cutting the office rafters which is also used to cut the stripwood pieces to cap the ends of the roof. Note: these strips are a lot smaller than the template slots, use the longest part of the slot to cut the strip.

Now onto shingling the Yardmasters office, I used a piece of double-sided tape to secure the office to my glass work surface while shingling the roof. The same technique was used as the main roof, but with not so much cutting and trimming around obstacles:

Next I’ll be constructing the water tank and bracing along with treating roof castings.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Great progress report Paul.
    That board-by-board clapboard really looks spectacular, you really nailed that perfectly.

I always get nervous when I see your pics with 25lb of metal sitting precariously on your model.....

but then I just sit back and admire the results. Superb work.

Karl.A
  • As usual a real joy to watch your Shipyard progress so well. I loved the pic of the tiny YM office buried in weights! A classic!
  • Hello All,

Thanks Karl and Brett, I’m lucky to have found these bus-bar weights when I did (just before they went into the scrap bin at work (they now recycle them)). Some time ago I determined the price would be 3 or 4 dollars per bus-bar, a bit on the pricey side back then (and the price of copper has gone up since then).

I’ve made a bit of progress on my build, much more progress on shovelling snow and trying to keep the garage warm. I still need to put the shingle caps and rafters on the Yard Office. Took a bit of a break from the shinglin’ and began working on the water tank and its platform. I’ve come to cut out the sections of the templates that are applicable to the task at hand, cuts down on the bench space needed to work with the templates. Here’s the pic’s:

During gluing dry (down) times, began sorting through the myriad of castings …grouping them into types and storing them in small containers (obtained from a local Omer des Serres …. Quebec’s answer to Michaels …).

Now I need to start sorting the resin castins... Next will be building the platform supports and detailing the water tank.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Great idea cutting the templates up Paul. that must make life a little easier, I'll remember that tip for the next time.

Gotta love all those castings ! I'm really looking forward to your work on them.

Karl.A