visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First SWSM kit - RRC Truck Repair. #312

Comments

• looking good!
  • Good evening, Good afternoon, Good morning everybody.
    For those of you wondering about the new thread title - we changed it to make it easier to find in the future, cause there gonna be a lot of "My first kit".

I built up the sidewalls now. Btw I want to improve my modeling skills, so feel free if you have any suggestions.

20230314_143738
    20230314_143747

Right now I'm building the front and rear wall, and then I'm starting with the interior - what will be the funniest part...
  • Wood looks great Jen! I would have staggered the butted boards ends just a bit to add some variety so they weren't on the same horizontal plane. Beautiful warm color tones and the detailing is great.
  • Thanks Ken. I tried to hit the firebreaks, but i try to make the alternation a bit more obvious on the next walls.
  • Colouring, texture and variation look great Jens.
    The knots are very well done, the toothpick ones are nicely defined but blend in naturally. The smaller knots I'm guessing from pressing in with the burnishing tool also are subtlety visible giving lots of variation.
  • Nice color, texture and variation in the wood.
  • Great texture and color....looking good!
  • Right Jen, just vary the position of the fire breaks. Minor issue and one that certainly doesn't need changed anyway. Wall looks just fine.
  • I like the faded color and nice texture.
  • Ok guys, so I think I am on the right path. I will finish the last walls at the weekend and can show some progress then. Have a nice friday. Bryan, thumbs up for your mossy roof.
  • I did not that much modeling this day, cause I followed the threads of Ken's Shelby's Marine Service and Eric's Truck Repair - and I am a bit depressed now.... Their kind of building the scenery is absolutely great. I will never achieve this level.
  • I prepared the window pieces and airbrushed them with vallejo khaki paint and let it dry over night. I grained the pieces with a sharp no.11 and chalked both sides.
    20230316_201846
    20230317_212656
    cracks, holes and dust were also done as the manual said
    20230317_230140
  • Jen, Nice job on the windows. I like the cracked and busted windows. Randy
  • Thank You Randy, and belated congratulations for your building award for the Truck Repair!!
  • Nice work on the window detailing. The damaged windows add a great amount of character and visual interest...just manage the amount as a little goes a long way. The lower left window panel damage looks spot on, love it.
  • Yes Ken, I know what you mean and I noticed it myself when I finished the windows. My solution would have been to use the more damaged ones as the inner sash, so they were covered by the outer sash. But honestly, thats cheating, I know.
    I try to exchange some of the badly damaged glasses.

Thank You,
    Jens
  • The frames are very good. Adding a sign to replace broken glass can be an eyecatching addition.
  • Hi Bryan. We're off to our sunday trip. Today we gonna visit the railroad museum in Bochum Dahlhausen. In the afternoon i'm back at the workbench and will post the progress of this
    weekend.
  • I used the afternoon to install all trims, windows and the battens. It was quite time consuming, but I am really happy with the results:

20230319_182100
    20230319_182145

I don't know why the wood color is always changing on all the pictures :neutral:
  • Nice job on the windows. Great effects on the damage. The walls look very well done as well.
  • Looks great Jens. I started mine over a year ago and you're going to finish yours before I do.
  • Great color on the walls. I really like the damage to the wood over the window. nice that you can see the tarpaper through the hole. You might want the get the prop in the single window a little more virital. Keep up the good work. Randy
  • Thank You very much, Tom and Jim. Jim, what I saw on your build is looking so great and You are so close to the finish...
  • Hi Randy. Concerning the stick in the window, You mean vertical?
  • edited March 2023
    Looking fantastic Jens, really nicely done.
    I gave up getting a consistent picture colour for construction shots several years ago, unless, I'm showing something specific.
    Your construction is perfect and that's what matters. if the colour looks right from where you are sitting then the screen is secondary.
    and yes, vertical for the prop stick.
  • Looking great, love the tone of the wood.....battens look good too....
  • Good evening gentlemen,
    Thanks for your kind support to get this kit nicely done.

Fortunately I made a single picture that hits almost the real colour...
    20230320_231512

I am about to prime the first resin castings now, and just to be sure:
    when the manual speaks of "priming the casting in black, khaki, ...", it is meant to paint the FIRST coat in black,..., but not to use a real PRIMER.?
  • edited March 2023
    Correct Jens, the University page has pics of some example spray cans.
    You may not be able to get the exact ones where you are.

So, you will need to get a FLAT tan and a FLAT black. Make sure they are FLAT, thats all you need for the base coat.

Light coats so you don't fill in the fine details of the castings/prints.
  • Right Karl.
    I could order Rust-Oleum spray cans, but this would take weeks. I read some forum threads about paints used here and decided to try the Tamiya paint, that I found in a model shop, yesterday. Just flat black and wooden deck tan, no red tone. the light grey one is a primer. I think I won't need it.
    20230321_101749
  • You can always use your airbrush to apply primer if you prefer.