visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First SWSM kit - RRC Truck Repair. #312

edited March 2023 in O Scale Builds
Hi everyone.
First I would like to thank you for the warm welcome.

I received Brett's package two weeks ago,

20230225_111103

and decided to clean up the mess of my last project first

20230303_162447 1
some of you may know that kind if "maintenance condition", I hope..

Comments

• some of you may know that kind of "maintenance condition", I hope..

20230303_195342
  • Indeed I do Jens,
    my bench more often looks like your first pic than your second, especially mid build.
    I have been trying to keep it somewhere inbetween over the past year and clear it up after anything is finished.

Nice looking bench/area btw, I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
  • Yes Karl, creativity rules the chaos.
    Even with a bigger bench it would look the same. I have never seen such a mess on your posts ; )
  • A first class mess for sure. Which kit did you get?
  • 20230303_201739 1

My first build of Brett's kits will be the Truck Repair.
    I have been quietly following this forum for almost two years now, and alI of the Truck Repairs turned out great. It really became one of my favorites. Its small enough to fit in my little layout but has so many details that makes it outstanding for me.
    I hope I won't mess it up.

• Bryan, you really disturbed me with your sand drying stove...
  • edited March 2023
    Ohhhh, if you go through my threads you will see my desk many, many times in such a mess as yours, often worse, haha. As you say, a bigger bench still always ends up with only a 6"x6" work area, regardless.

The Truck Repair is an awesome kit, and as you say the box/kit is packed with details, detail and everything else great that is SWSM.

We're all looking forward to following along with you.
  • Looking forward to your build on this!!

Jerry
  • I’ll be following along as well. I built the HO version so I’ll be interested to see your version
    Terry
  • I put together the tools I needed as described in the manual instructions

20230304_184149

I grained the wood stripes, did the saw blade bandings, added the different knots, holes and knotholes, uncertain if the burnishing tools will work - I never used those before. I bought a set of three different sizes for nearly 5,- euro, what is nothing, at a local art store. after the first two knots were pressed, the rounded tip fell off... I remembered Brett's chapter "Essential & Usefull Tools" and the advice to look for quality tools!!
    Then I used the steelwool no. 000 to wipe away the fuzz and "carved" the grain a bit with a no. 11 blade.

20230304_200338

As stain I used isopropyl and the two chalk colors 408.3 and 5,but also added some dark gray very sparse and randomly

20230304_210443
  • After taking off the extra chalk and enhanced the knots with some AI, I got this result:

20230304_215955

20230304_233259
  • Great looking colour and detail, nice variation.
  • I agree, nice wood detailing!
  • your stripwood looks great. looking forward to the build, cuz i have this one on the shelf, and i need to pick up some pointers on the kit.
  • Thanks a lot Joel and Ken.
    Actually the wood colour looks more like its seen on the second picture.
  • Hi Kevin. the shelf is not the best place for your kit ; )
    Maybe I really have something new for you. Its my kind of secret weapon cause I don't have that nice sanding stick Ken used as he turned into Dr. Grunge.
    Its my Glass Eraser Pen
    20230314_101228
    20230314_101309

I use it to highlight just parts of the wood to give more variety.
  • Wonderful start!
  • The left and the right wall frames were glued together and tarpapered. I crumbled the paper a bit, then ironed it before I sprayed it with a flat black paint.

20230306_224552
  • JenS said:

Hi Kevin. the shelf is not the best place for your kit ; )
    Maybe I really have something new for you. Its my kind of secret weapon cause I don't have that nice sanding stick Ken used as he turned into Dr. Grunge.
    Its my Glass Eraser Pen
    20230314_101228
    20230314_101309

I use it to highlight just parts of the wood to give more variety.

thanks, i just ordered one. won't be here til the 23rd cuz i think it's coming from germany. it's blue though so a little different.
  • Those walls look great Jen. Great base for interior detailing.
  • @ Kevin: Great, I hope you ordered several refill fibre brushes because they use up quite fast.

Thanks Ken. The wood frames costs me some nerves and time. Don't want to do this in HO. But im happy with the result.
  • Wood coloring and textures are very nice. Your wall framing is also very nice. You did a great job with the tarpaper.
  • Love the tones and warmth of the wood......it looks great...
  • @ Kevin: Great, I hope you ordered several refill fibre brushes because they use up quite fast.

i didn't but i will. thanks for the heads up.
  • Thank you, Tom and MuddyCreek.
    You're welcome Kevin.

I finally got the complete framing done, puh...

20230314_205625

...Grrrrr, forgot the interior wall....
  • The framing looks great.
  • Great looking colours on both the framing and the siding. Nicely done.

The creases/highlights in the tarpaper look good and will give a great effect peeking through all of the details you are going to add to those walls.

Keep up the good work and posts.
  • edited March 2023
    The framing looks great,
    I had forgotten that this kit has the notched header/footer style walls and not full laser cut framing.
    So I just realized you have added the studs and then the firebreaks/braces individually.

A very nice and precise job you have done there, very well done.
  • Looks like you're off to a great start. I love the tar paper and framing.
  • Great start. I really like tar paper effect.

Jerry