visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Around October 25th, 1921

Comments

• I'll never tell the contents of the bottles Pappy.

Karl, I did have the top folded over the line. The paper longjohns were not as easy to manipulate as I had liked when shaping them around the line. If you look very close there are closepins on the line. I made them with brush bristle. Since they can't be seen, they are too small so I made splinters as you suggested.

2EA81D8D-88A0-40C9-A51E-F6954CC2B9B6
  • Awesome!
  • very convincing, looks great. The bottles look really nice as well. They are so small and your coloring/treatment is wonderful.
  • Longjohns, clothespins, wrinkles - Wow! Great details.
  • Outhouse is put togetherBC3B5C1F-C826-408C-AAA4-D4925B2861D8
    1BEB9358-C1BB-47E0-8D1C-B6E41515DBBE
    EB49570D-4504-4B8E-8FC2-D9C04CE492B7
  • More greatness.
  • Great work Bryan!!
  • That brings back memories from my childhood. Not necessarily pleasant. Great job....Rick
  • Nifty detail Bryan! Love the weathering.
  • Fantastic! Love your weathering.
  • Bryan,
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/086/4K3XMP7IAV6M.png
    Did you do the weathered barn wood board with chalk? If so what number?
    Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Nice work Bryan. Love the door handle...
  • Thanks guys and sorry Rick.

Dave, the boards were done with chalk and based on a comment that Karl made on chalk colors on the silvery gray wood thread.

I grained boards normally and added dark gray 704.3 (VERY lightly) and mixed in some 704.8. Wash it in...I'm a flooding mess on this also. Once dry I use a brass brush lightly. It helps re-define grain, smooth out any dark spots in the chalk and give a little bit of a grayish shine to boards. Then I give a light sanding with 220 grit paper. When I say light, I hold 2 boards and wrap the sandpaper (I use 3M ultra flexible) around the boards and pull the boards through twice up the top half and twice down the bottom half. Give a coat of IA and let dry. So all gray chalk. the only brown used is from the dirty alcohol I used from my usual bottle that never gets washed out. Other brown can come from sanding. You can choose to add drybrushing at this point but I did not on these walls.

The mess at the bottom is from enamel washes: Pacific dust, light slimy green, dark slimy green. I added 1 of the signs per the instructions and a peeling red board from another build for interest. The roof is made from the siding material.

The door handle is a piece of twine. Think it should have been a little smaller.
  • I was speaking a bit in gest about the not so pleasant memories. Yes, we had an outhouse on the farm. Your rendition is fabulous. The only thing missing are the wasp nests (a real problem) and of course the smell. A few cobwebs nearby might be in order too....Rick
  • Bryan,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was at our local art supply store, Arizona Art, yesterday to pick up a few additional Rembrandt chalks. Their display used to be quite large, about 3' by 3', but it has diminished in size and quantity by 50%. I like to support local businesses rather than shop on line so this might become an issue for me. Bummer. Maybe it will grow again once the University of Arizona and Pima Community College are back live. I can only hope.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • excellent oil bottles....! really excellent. everything is.
  • I want to have the lights installed before the scenery goes on to make it easier working on the underneath electronics.

I installed a hanging lamp from the center rafter inside and started guiding the wire towards the conduit in the floor by hiding it on the backside of the rafters. This light will have the flicker on it. I made a hanging lamp for the side yard but it was hanging too low so I hid an LED inside the rafters. This will give light but the source will not be seen. There will also be an unseen light inside.

Added a fun detail on the wall exterior: presumably to lock the door. Didn't see the string until I snapped the photo.
    BB686C81-855C-4D16-A6BB-1FB75D65234E
    76FA8708-1798-4AD8-A626-80D6821C6E12
    FF94420F-0A6C-4C71-9C56-9FA588253C4A
  • edited May 2021
    The lights are all wired in with a switch. The 2nd pic shows the size of the flicker board. It has 2 lights that are always on and 1 that flickers like the bulb is about to burn out. I installed full on lights in the side yard and 1 inside the main building. The flicker is visible through the door.

What's better than a helping hand? 4 of them! Pic 3 shows the "octopus". Pic 4 is the final tucking away of wires underneath.

A brief video of what it looks like.

AC0CB788-BF3B-4CE8-96B1-02D0BA9CBC50
    5AD1D22C-DCF2-46B4-8C5F-6BB0DACD7DCC
    6F182B72-576B-4EE1-91D5-F4E121F93089
    CF04EDA8-2012-4260-9B4A-A719EB6346BB
  • Outhouse looks great Bryan, color variations are spot on. Clothes pins look just right.
    Great for me to see your wiring practices, processes... I really need to keep paying close attention on how you do these steps so thanks for the detailed pics.
  • Thanks Karl. There are many ways to get the wiring done. Lots of folks here have come up with clever solutions and would be happy to chime in on your build.
  • I like the size of the project. After a lifetime of building dioramas, I appreciate the smaller Vignettes
  • Love the video. Super well done!
  • The flickering effect is great!
  • Thanks all.

I'm working on the placement of the tree. I want it behind and a bit to the left of the main structure to balance out the diorama, but I have to keep it away from the edge so the cover will fit.

Also got the corrugated roof installed and most of the interior details added.

Next on to the shingled roof. It will be partially removable just in case I ever need to get inside for maintenance.
    74B1E4C5-EE24-4890-9078-2A8C92081C03
    6AB88EA7-CEF4-45F4-BE3D-933CC6082E83
    CF6033DF-2A1E-4F4D-9B9A-DDF1BF325136
  • That last shot!
  • Its looking great Bryan, siding is really nice and the last shot is terrific.
  • edited May 2021
    Nice work Bryan. Tip.. if you set the focal distance on your camera at f8, and choose macro , the rear of the room will be sharp as well. Unless you want it this way...
  • Thanks guys. Robert, I'll try to figure that out on my iPhone.
  • I added the shingles. I like going smaller than the instructions with these. I use HO scale 1x8, 1x10 and 1x12. Grain and stain then snap them off to about 3/8".

See here the glue is drying. Next I'll sand the tops to expose more grain then blend the colors together and touch up the fresh breaks on the ends. There will be a stove pipe coming from the back of the structure with cables attached to the roof. Then of course a roof cap.

As mentioned earlier the roof is partially removable. Close up photos will help show if I made any gaps where the removable piece fits in.6C6B0635-C725-4B2C-9EAF-6131C4108A6E
    FA8F2E27-05CF-4F4F-A5B5-49541A4E7F0A
    D7FC8378-3D02-4076-8F71-9B7245C5A184
    A271F99F-3306-4F15-B161-CABBA7AB0E46
    DAFC035E-D247-4D5C-A11A-C20C164D6758
  • Roofs look fantastic Bryan, great work.