visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss' Landing is Coming Together

Comments

• I have always loved the look of marine railroading, but never modeled it myself. Too many interests to do them all. I love both the fine detail dioramas as you see here, but also operations with a group of friends. I would love to see the rest of your railroad. You have tremendous potential and have gone farther than most modelers. Keep the photos coming. Looking great. Rick
  • Thanks Rick. I share you thoughts of too many interests and this is something I've tried hard to encapsulate. I'm including a few pics for the logging fans.
  • Ed, one of my best friends and fellow model railroader's dad was in the Pacific also. He too never spoke about the war, but did have a nice Lionel layout in the basement which inspired my friend to get into the hobby. I'm pleased that you and others are enjoying the photos and providing you with a sense of joy. During these difficult times in our world today, it's always nice to escape into the basement and go back to a simpler time in the spring of 1957.
  • Great rolling stock
  • I was about to say the same thing...
  • I believe that train needs some weathering!!! Great layout. Phil
  • Love where you are headed with this layout. It will be interesting to see the progress as you go. Please, keep posting updates...Rick
  • The caboose is scratchbuilt as Westside Lumber Company cabooses are not made by anyone in HO scale to the best of my knowledge. The other pieces are all by Cache Creek. I need to decide on how to proceed with weathering these cars.
  • Another scratchbuilt caboose using an old Mantua frame. Everything else is styrene.Caboose 1
    Caboose 2
    Trestle
  • Image quality is not great here after resizing, but I painted the eaterway area yesterday and I'm happy with the results. Many coats of gloss medium to come.
  • Thanks my friend. I've been planning and working on it this week. Tonight I drilled spacing holes and put in the draft pilings to get an overall effect. I think it looks good. Drybrushing, barnacles and weathering is next.
  • I will echo that!!!
  • Makes me want a waterfront scene
  • Just time Ed. I would love to do an O scale Shipyard at Foss.
  • all pilings have been installed, barnacles and all! Yesterday I scratchbuilt a new lower pier and began reworking the dock down by the lighthouse. I'm dreading the large Envirotex pour which will happen soon.
  • John,

Looking good. Water scenes are tough in my opinion and I have a lot of respect for those that attempt them. Just take your time on the Envirotex and make sure those dams are well constructed. Nothing like a leak at the worst possible time. Phil
  • Looking great John. Water scenes always catch the eye first.
  • Looking forward to seeing this scene completed. Such an interesting arrangement with so much character.
  • The same goes for me. Beautiful work !!!
  • Looking forward to the pour
  • Fantastic!
  • Thank you for all the kind comments. I've rethought this and decided not to go with Envirotex. Foe those of you who are familiar with this stuff there can be major problems if everything isn't sealed properly. I don't want a large puddle on the floor as 2 guys I know experienced. I will rebuild the new dock into a floating one and the one down by the lighthouse will have a new wood or stone fascia which will allow me to use Mod Podge. The issue with a stationary dock or one where all the pilings underneath it would be visible is the fact that I would not be able to brush the Mod Podge under there and that's why I considered Envirotex. With the new design however, the problem resolves itself and Mod Podge can be used.
  • I have used Envirotex for water on several of my dioramas and have not had a problem at all. You have to make sure everything is sealed and install temporary dams like on an edge. Before I did any water effects, I procrastinated a lot and over thought it many times, but once I used it and did my due diligence in prep work, I did not have any problems at all. One thing that I learned is if the material you are using is old, you will get to many bubbles. Must use fresh materials. I am very happy with with it.
  • Thank you for the information. Now that the majority of the piers and hydrocal stone walls are painted and glued in I would need to add very thin beads of clears caulking at the wall and pier bases as well as many other places where there could be a leak. I'm sure the sculptamold rocks are water tight but unsure about being able to see and seal everything. I would have used new Envirotex, but since I already spent some money on a large jar of Mod Podge I think I'm heading in that direction. Once I finish up the drawings for the new piers I will post them.
  • Tonight's brainstorming!