visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss' Landing is Coming Together

Comments

• Work on the new seaport are is moving along nicely. I'm having a ball!
  • Thanks Ed, this project is a culmination of years of collecting, dreaming and building. I fulit the Foss' Landing kits years ago and am now beginning to integrate them into the waterfront. I'm still playing around with building placement, ships etc. Once finalized, I can begin the 12' envirotex pour and that will be quite an undertaking. I can't wait to begin adding all the fine details. I throughly enjoy our hobby and had fun building the ships too. I have a few more high end tugboats, workboats and fishing boats of various sizes and a crab boat. Imagine the wahrf clutterd with fisherman's goods and assorted junk. Model Railroading is fun!
  • Heer's the lift bridge and barge scene.Lift Bridge
  • What an awesome scene this will be, cannot wait to see more!
  • Thank you! I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement and look forward to enjoying more topics with you.
  • I had to get away from cutting and staining multiple dolphin pilings so I went back to work on the tugboat Exeter which now joins the fleet.
  • I just finished up the first round of pilings for the harbor scene. Only 50 more to go!1st Run Pilings
    Pilings 001
    Pilings Zoom
  • Nicely done
  • Thanks guys. It's a fun project.
  • Looks great.
  • Love it so far! Rick
  • very nice.
  • I thought you guys would appreciate the final product. The best thing about our hobby is the fact that the possibilities are endless. If you get tired of working on one project, walk away from it and work on something else. There are so many small, fun activities you can do in an evening or two. Detail castings and parts are a great example of this.
  • Until now I never understood the ocean side modeling. Mostly due to lack of imagination on my part. Well, I get it now. After seeing this incredible model, I can see the endless possibilities. You have done a spectacular job on so many different levels. Awaiting more greatness on this.
  • I'm very happy to see you've gained an appreciation for this aspect of the hobby. My initail task with designing this layout was multi-fold as I wanted to include my favorite interests but quickly learned about space and associated restrictions. Since I purchased Foss' Landing many years ago I knew a waterfront was necessary in addition to running large freight and passenger consists. I decided on 2 levels with large radious curves to accommodate big locomotives. After about 2 years into the build I became interested in geared steam locomotives and backwoods logging,mining operations and a modern day 'scenic railroad". This called for a new 3rd level which is up and running and looks great. This scenario allows for a large city area with a big passenger station and 9 track yard as well as an underground 5 track staging area. So at any given momemnt I can be doing street lighting and then off to modeling tall trees in the woods! I love all you guys work and constantly remain inspired. Overall, it makes me a better modeler and opens my eyes to new ideas and possibilities.
  • i, for one, would love to see photos of this fabulous sounding layout. i'm sure i'm not alone.
  • Pardon my photography as it's not always the best!
  • Thanks Ed. This yellow car pictured above took quite a bit of time to do. I have a brown one also and the cost of all the Preiser figures was substantial.
  • What a layout GREAT , in every sense !!
  • Thank you Robert. 17 years in the making.
  • wow. just wow nice layout.
  • Thanks Kevin, too bad you guys weren't closer geographically as we could have one heck of an operationg session. Not to mention all the great suggestions you would have for improvements.
  • i would love that. i've never operated a layout other than the n scale layout that i dismantled 11 years ago.
  • Kevin, there is enough here to occupy several operators at any given time. I want to set up a timetable using a fast clock and streamline a days workload to include passenger, freight, mining and logging operations. I'm sure there are other possibilities I haven't eben considered.
  • Ed, I have some fond memories of Lionel trains from childhood. My uncle had a real bachelor's pad with Lionel running everyehere in his house including a 6 foot long overhead trestle. Hence the reason why he was single! I never owned any Lionel as my first train set was HO. When the boys were growing up, we spent hundreds of hours watching the Tom McComas "I Love Toy Trains" videos. I gained a real appreciation for the equipment and operating accessories which were far ahead of their time in my opinion. That stuff is wonderful.
    Your tours of the Reading RR repair facilities must be a fantastic memory for you. So much inspiration and real life experience. I can only imagine those big steamers and the noise associated with them. The ride to Atlantic City sounds like fun. I never experience anything like that.