visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Brass and Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Joel what can we keep saying excellent work!!

Jerry
  • Wow! Looks fantastic. Would love to see more pictures as you go.
  • As requested I finished the flashing and placed the two buildings together. Just to place them. I'm inclined to leave the build at this point and work on individual casting. I have to work out how to wire the lights and will have much easier access if I stop here. Also I will likely knock off a light or two while waiting for the next instalment. I think I will glue everything together and add the lights as I glue everything to the base.IMG_0939 (1)
    IMG_0940
  • Just wow Joel... !!
    Everything is beautiful.
    So excellently done.
  • Looking great Joel!!
  • Very nicely done Joel !!!
  • Impressive.
  • Well done, Joel...looking forward to your castings
    Terry
  • Beautifully done Joel! Love the large Foundry sign. Things are coming together nicely.
  • Looks great Joel! The colors and weathering are perfect.
  • Beautiful coloring and detail.

Jerry
  • Looking good...
  • Thanks everyone. Here's a few of the details I've been working on.IMG_0995
    Also wanted to try and get a "Better" plywood effect. I had some old decals from a wood weathering set and thought I'd give them a try. Took the plywood supplied and gave it 5 coats of gloss varathane then applied the decalsIMG_1047
    IMG_1049
  • Love the way the plywood turned out. Where are the decals from?
  • Woah! That plywood looks like stuff off the shelf at the orange depot, except not warped and battered. I have never heard of plywood decals. Really cool detail.
  • Details and plywood are looking so good!!!!

Jerry
  • brownbr said:

Love the way the plywood turned out. Where are the decals from?

the plywood looks fantastic. where'd ya find 'em?

• edited December 2021
    Hmmmm……I wonder if the thickness of hardwood edge banding or veneer skins would represent sheets of plywood…..maybe not for HO but maybe for O scale….
    Terry

;-(( should have done my research first…..edge banding is .0394 thickness and veneer sheets are.025 thick. By my calculations in O scale 3/4” plywood would be .015 thick plus the grain pattern of banding/veneer would probably be out of scale

Terry
  • Jerry and Bryan - the decals are from uschivdr.com - more for model airplanes but I like the look.

Terry I think the veneer would be close (and you can find older thicker veneers) but unfortunately they tend to curl. I was thinking of getting some of the really thin 1/32" plywood and trying that.

Ok took awhile to get the lettering acceptable but here is my first try at a coke bottle. Needs some dust or some condensation not sure which yet. Took forever to get the lettering right. IMG_1054
  • Turned out GREAT! What did you use to color the bottles?
  • I used transparent yellow and blue to make the green and added some red to make brown. A bit of flat red for the caps. Tah dah.
  • Use 1/64 plywood for, well plywood. It is O scale .75 inch thick so thats right too. It also has the 'layers.
    I used to use it for shingles and siding on scratch builds.
    Available in all hobby shops.

Those bottles look fantastic Joel, excellent stuff.

• Holy cow - they look real. Great job! I'm thirsty now...
  • Got out my macro lens. Here's a better picture showing the bad paint on the bottle tops but the lettering is clearer.IMG_1069
  • Very nicely done Joel !!! This is incredible...
  • Joel, excellent work!! Can't imagine doing this in HO.
    Keep up your great work!
  • This is outrageous…ly marvelous!
  • Simply outstanding Joel.
    You are showing us all what can be achieved.
    These masterpieces need to be highlighted and showcased in the 3D detail thread as well !!
  • Super impressive.

In order to reach the level of "most impressive", you will have to reduce the Coke logo to fit on the cap also.