visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Brass and Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• As long as it gets you the look you are going for.
  • I had already decided to copy Ken's builds myself lol!
  • Ken definitely set a new bar with his HO Scale rendition and am excited to see how his ideas translate to O Scale!
  • Finally had a few hours to spend on the model. The strip wood is dry so the first thing I did was look at each piece carefully and find the best pieces and set them aside. Then I found the worst ones where the peeling paint wasn't realistic and I put them aside too. I started with the two most visible walls and used mostly the really good strip wood. I used an old wood burner I use for marquetry projects to "rot" away the bottom of the front wall. I have to tone it down and add details but it's a good base.rsz_img_6220_1
    rsz_img_6221_1
    The left wall was also completed. I don't weather my butted board ends. I usually just try and use the cut ends of the stripwood as it comes from Brett. I use the bad stripwood under the doors where it will be blocked by loading docks. There is so much extra strip wood included I pretty much stuck to the ones I liked. I chose each piece specifically for contrast and weathering, trying to make the wall interesting and believable.
    Still lots to detail.rsz_img_6219_1
  • Looking fantastic. Great start. Rick
  • Looking good...
  • Great coloring and detail on the those bottom boards.

Jerry
  • I like it.
  • You put a whole lot more thought into the placement of each board than I do, but the effort certainly pays off in a more realistic look. Phil
  • Finished the base of the second set of walls. I added a little more paint to the top of the walls where the paint might have been better protected from the elements. I also added a few nail holes on the board ends. The pictures make the red much brighter than it is. I will be doing a wash to unify the walls a bit. rsz_img_6222
    rsz_img_6223
  • nice work
  • Good decision for the paint at the top of the walls. Is Logic aswel. Looking very nice so far.
  • While waiting for the paint to dry on the windows and doors I had a few minutes to cobble together the track for the large door. Very easy with the instructions provided. I added some carriage bolts to secure it to the wall. I just used rivet decals, pretty simple. Hope to paint it tomorrow and maybe start work on the windows. rsz_img_6224
  • Joel, I always enjoy your builds. However, you're not going to convert me to O scale!!!! Phil
  • I think I was born in the dark zone... :wink: I can echo Ed's statement; extremely well done!!!! Question, do you find it easier to glue the styreen first and then paint it? Matter of not touching the wood with the rust paint .
  • Thanks Phil.
    Robert I do glue it all together and then I will paint it and weather it and then install it on the wall. It is just resting there for the photo.
  • Very nice Joel.
  • edited April 2020
    Thanks Jerry.
    I added a bit of rust to my door track.IMG_6227
    I started working on my doors. I took each piece and after spray painting I added some wood grain with an xacto knifeIMG_6225
    Then I weathered it with a bid of dry chalk powder and taped off each separate board with masking tape so I could use the damp brushing with fan brush technique.rsz_img_6226
    Only took about 5 minutes per door and I prefer the effect over just dabbing the paint on. After it was dry I added a bit of dark grey chalk to bring out some of the details.rsz_img_6230
    Still have to glue it together and add the glazing.
  • Interesting technique....
  • Joel, it's like sausage making. Not great to look at when it's in processing, but oh what a great look when you're finished!!! You have to trust the process. Thanks. Phil
  • That is superb!
  • Door looks great.
  • i'll say!
  • That's one hell of a door!!

Jerry
  • Very nice result!!
  • Great weathering. Your damp brush technique looks just like peeling paint!
  • the door is beautiful
  • Thanks. I finished up the doors and I'm now working on the windows. I always find my broken glass lacking so like with my repair shop I googled broken window and had hundreds of great patterns to choose from. i reduced the photo in black and white and traced the fracture lines.Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 7.21.41 PM
    I dusted with a bit of chalk so the lines would pop a bit.rsz_img_6293
    Here is the back wall with the track and doors placed in position (just waiting for the oil paint to dry before properly gluing in place)rsz_img_6291
  • Looking good....