visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Brass and Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Really excited for everyone to get their hands on this installment. So many new details and even a couple new techniques I have been playing around with.
  • Got my package and have read through the instructions a couple of times. Now to prep these fantastic new detail parts. Very excited, obviously. At first glance this part could probably be completed in 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months. I think I'll take my time and try some new things. Then probably go back to my old techniques. I guess I'll have to see as I go along.
  • I've finished prepping the metal castings and have blackened them as per the instruction. Now on to the resin pieces. A few things to note when working with these. First off about 3/4 of them can just be primed right out of the box. No parting lines no deformities on the bottom edge. The only ones that need a bit of work are the gas cylinders and if you want to be really picky (like me) the boxes and crates. A quick pass with an emory board works well. Be aware that this is not the same resin as we are used to. I used to scrape an xacto knife across the bottom edges of each casting but this new resin is a bit more brittle and can chip. I found I could slice the "elephant foot" off but had to use a brand new blade. Easier just to sand it (wearing a mask) or skip the step completely.

The boxes are fantastic little details with appropriate wall thicknesses and great handle details. The gas tank with handle is spectacular as are so many of the new pieces.

Now on to priming and then the build starts.
  • I too have started mine....and I have an idea as to what I want to do that will take some time...we shall see.....I love the details and the kits progression...this diorama is going to be a long time in finishing...and a bit expensive....
  • Well a good start to the first wall. Still some chalk to add and some highlights on some of the rust and tone down a few shiny areas. I'll probably finish the walls and glue them together before adding the final touchesIMG_0661
  • excellent wood detailing Joel. less weathered up under the eaves, stenciling readable but faded, doors more heavily weathered from elements and use...tells the story!
  • Joel wonderful detailing on the wood coloring. I really like the way you did the door track very realistic coloring.

Jerry
  • Thanks Gentlemen. I still have to muddy up the bottom of the doors and maybe work on the door hangers a bit but it is getting there.
  • Wow, that's incredible modeling.
  • Outstanding Joel, up to your usual high standards. Cannot wait to see more!
  • Great job on weathering and coloring of the wood. Like the window glass as well. If I may make a suggestion? Perhaps some scrape marks where the doors rubbed on walls from sliding back and forth.
  • Neat idea!
  • Great idea, would tell a bit of story. I'll get back to that wall. Meanwhile I worked on the concrete loading dock. 9 layers of 12 different colours. No chalk yet. IMG_0738a
  • Very nice Joel. Beautiful coloring!

Jerry
  • I agree. Can only get better with the final chalk .
  • Looks like a slab of concrete
  • Wonderful color contrast between concrete dock and wall. Both look natural.
  • Great coloring and textures so far Joel!
  • Joel, I'm catching up. You haven't lost your touch. Superior work and great colors. Thanks for sharing. Phil
  • In the end it looks like old concrete! Wonderful wood work.
  • This is some great model building Joel.
  • Thank gentlemen for the nice comments. On to the next wall. This one is quite busy. Just installed the garage door and painted my first few 3d printed castings. Can't believe Brett went through the trouble of creating 2 separate castings so they could be numbered differently. Fantastic little detail. May have made them a bit too grungy but can you really weather something too far?IMG_0796
  • I LIKE THAT LOOK JOEL
  • Fantastic start to a great kit.....Rick
  • That concrete dock is pretty awesome!!!!
    Terry
  • that's exactly how i would want mine to turn out. spot on!
  • Great job Joel!
  • Great coloring Joel. Was that your choice for the lockers?

Jerry
  • Nice job. I like the lockers very much...
  • Beautiful work Joel! Love the lockers and the coat hanging there...but of course I gravitate to the wood...terrific work above the door and the board end detail...