visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Railroad Camp Office/Warehouse

124»

Comments

• I have come to the end of this build for now. You will note the yard area is way clean compared to most, especially SW builds, but I wanted it to be fully functional with room to maneuver trucks, not cluttered with trash and junk. If you have ideas of what small details I can add to the yard area that show activity, not junk, let me know. I wracked my brain on this one. The other end of the property has the abandoned tar paper shed and junk.

This has been an interesting build trying to make minor, but obvious changes to personalize it. The diorama will sit with the track side toward the viewer so I did not detail the rear office porch.

For the record, the pigeons have left droppings on the roof peak. Just too many photos to show that detail.

Any suggestions for additions are welcome.

On to the welding/boiler shop.

Finished 1
    Finished 2
    Finished 3
    Finished 4
    Finished 5
    Finished 6
    Finished 7
    Finished 8
    Finished 9
    Finished 10
    Finished 11
    Finished 12

• Rick.
    Nice very nice I like your idea of less clutter.
  • edited May 2020
    I love it the way it is, wonderful work. Cant think of anything I would change or add.
    I too left my yard area clear on my O Scale version, for the same reasons.
    Beautiful modeling just the way it is.

Cant wait for your welding and boiler shop build, to be honest, that one in O'scale has really got me excited to do in O'scale more than anything else, for a while now.

Great work.
  • Great job Rick. Lots of detail and great craftsmanship
  • Beautiful work!
  • Very nice overall composition.

I might add just a few tufts of weeds in and around the rails. There is a lot of vegetation underneath the dock and I would imagine a few weeds would be sprouting in the ballast also.
  • GREAT modeling. Good inspiration when I will build mine. Thanks for sharing Rick !! Well done..
  • The track laying looks good also.
  • so many ideas i wish i'd incorporated into mine. beautiful model.
  • Nice work! Your placement of weeds and grasses is very nice!
  • So many nice comments from many who I look up to. Thank you all. My only regret was not having good dirt for my last 2 dioramas. All I have is Arizona Rock & Mineral single color fine ballast. Living in an apartment, no dirt accessible and Covid has me holed up.

Oh, well. Still a blast and more to do. On to the Boiler & Welding shop.

Rick
  • Rick, don't fret that you do not have access to dirt in your yard. I've heard some modelers use baseball diamond dirt that has been sifted. You might sneak into a local park and "borrow" some.
  • Rick.
    If you like the color of the dirt that I use I would send you some. .....Carl.....
  • If the dirt color is that you used on the tool and rigging shed diorama, it is perfect. Wanting to be able to layer like you and Ken do.

Rick
  • TomMich said:

Rick, don't fret that you do not have access to dirt in your yard. I've heard some modelers use baseball diamond dirt that has been sifted. You might sneak into a local park and "borrow" some.

that's exactly what i did. went to a ball diamond with a bucket and a small shovel a few years ago and i still have some left.
  • It is Rick I use the same dirt all of the time it is clay that works very well now and then I mix some grout in just for a lighter shade.
    I used the same dirt on the Twin Mills Logging and repair shed and all of the others.
    Send me a E mail with your address. ............Carl.............
  • edited May 2020
    Gotta love this forum and the community spirit of helping each other out, whether it be sending something somebody needs or offering advice for problem solving and of course,not forgetting, good wholehearted support for a job well done.

Thanks guys, you all make this a great place.... and then to top it off.. Brett's SWSM kits!!!
  • Rick, great build. I really like it. As others have said, you don't always have to add a bunch of castings to make the diorama believable. It's really the composition of the entire scene that counts. Phil
  • Karl, thank you so much. I sent you an email with the info. I echo Phil' sentiments of the group here. For all those lurking behind the scenes, you are missing out.

Rick
  • Geesh Rick, looks fantastic! Love the lighting and your scenes are very well constructed. Pleasure to look at and nice work...Ken
  • Wow. Thanks to all for your positive comments. This was a fun build and the first time I looked that closely to making changes to an already great kit. Ken, that is partly your doing with your Scotia Supply build.

I went by Home Depot and picked up some mineral spirits today so I am ready to try a new technique for peeling paint on the welding & boiler shop. I'll start a new blog for that one soon.

Rick
  • Karl.A said:

Gotta love this forum and the community spirit of helping each other out, whether it be sending something somebody needs or offering advice for problem solving and of course,not forgetting, good wholehearted support for a job well done.

Thanks guys, you all make this a great place.... and then to top it off.. Brett's SWSM kits!!!

hear hear!
  • Fantastic Rick, love the scenery integration, so natural...
  • Thanks Brett and all of you. So many compliments. Still striving to match you O scale guys in HO. I'm starting the welding & boiler shop so will start posting that blog soon.

Rick