visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Railroad Camp Office/Warehouse

Comments

• Thanks Robert, Jim and Kevin for your kind words.

Jim, yes, both tar paper roofs used scale lumber instead of the RIP provided so they would show through the tar paper. I used tissue paper to get thin enough for the effect to be seen. Rick
  • I've started to do some of the details in the scene. Long way to go yet, but had to stop and have a bit of fun with the effects of lighting for the structure. I love how the lights reflect off the rails. Rick

Dock 7
    Dock 8
  • Really nice Rick. This is the ultimate fun part..
  • Lights make a bit difference.
  • Love the lighting. Phil
  • Looks great!
  • Lights do make a difference.
  • The lights really polish it off
  • Lights do make a huge difference and they highlight an extra dimension to our projects, interior details
  • Everyone is so kind and the comments are greatly appreciated.

All of you said the same thing.....It really enhances the model, yet few of you do it. It is just another side of modeling that can easily be learned. Like Mikey, "Try it, you'll like it."

Have more scenery material on the way and lots of detailing yet to go.

Rick
  • I plan on lighting most if not all of my builds.....I will be using the Evans Design and Orge led lighting kits......all prewired.....no fuss....no muss......can run off transformer or batteries. Since I'm also going Dead Rail I'm sticking with the batteries....
  • ...no fuss...nuss...best part of what's available now days.

Rick
  • looks great. you guys convinced me start lighting the models so i'm lighting the one i'm working on now (with evans design pico lights, and i imagine i'll have to light everything i build subsequently....but how in the hell am i gonna light up o'niells, the rr camp and woodcutters shack? i don't see a way other than drilling a hole through the base and sticking a light through it. not very imaginitive....
    any advise would be welcomed....
  • I lighted a couple of structures after they were installed on the layout. Quite a hassle. Once it was done I was happy I did it. While doing it I was cussing about it.
  • I am going back and adding lighting to some of my old structures and I agree it is quite a hassle and causes a lot of four letter words to come out of my mouth.
  • My thought having done it myself before doing the preplanning during the build, mount the light at one end of a styrene tube with the wiring running through it (no shorts to a brass tube). Then only a small hole is needed through the base to insert it. Make the tube longer than needed so you can rotate it after insertion as well as setting the height. Finding the best location for both the light and hiding everything from view is the hardest part. Just plan out the angle of the light for the area you are trying to light.

Just my thoughts.

Rick
  • thanks rick. unfortunately i would have to remove black paper from every window, and that is a bridge too far for me.
  • I wanted a pile of bad pallets and realized the commercial castings can't get me what I was looking for so I made my own. Actually quite simple to make. It allowed me to a better variety of both styles and condition. Rick

Pallets 3
  • Nice work Rick !! Although it's O scale, maybe this can offer some inspiration.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/847/old-wooden-palettes#latest
  • I scratch built the door for the tar paper shed. I even added screw holes to the hinges. Maybe a bit too much detail. Rick
    Shed door
  • Hah, Rick you're funny! Too much detail? NEVER! Looking great, keep at it. This build is fantastic.
  • Love the hinges. What about a matching door latch and handle?
  • Here is the door in place. Just an old hasp to latch the door shut that failed long ago. Never had a handle on it being just a shed. In fact, the diagonal is going the wrong way because the door used to open from the other side. When the boards deteriorated too much to hold the hinges, they just moved the hinges to the other side. Truly a zero budget repair.

Rick

Shed Door 2
  • really nice messed up door !!! :smiley:
  • Catching up here Rick, looking terrific.
  • You probably thought I wasn't working on this for a while, but I spent too much time thinking about different mini scenes. I wanted something between the warehouse and the rear fence and finally settled on the tank. Problem was the tank casting was all I had. It was just a tank. I built the stand then I had to add a fill cap, vent, hose and nozzle. Of course none of those are castings I had. I The nozzle was my biggest challenge made from .015" wire. Sure gives a new appreciation for Brett to make the masters for the castings. Then it was fill in around it with other details.

I then played with the location of the light source for fun. This is the best of those photos. I did have the light on inside the warehouse.

IMG_0545
  • edited May 2020
    Now THAT's a real good looking scene you present us here Rick !!!! I love the wood color and the tarpaper looks very natural.

An observation I made with so many builds ( not this one in particular ) and that I am not fond of , are the rounded edges at the ends of the boards used in the walls. I can understand them at the bottom, but not in the walls. I have never seen that in reality. But hey, just an observation.

This is a very fine build. Could be O scale .
  • I like the tank
  • Wonderful, certainly captures the mood effectively!
  • Tank and nozzle turned out great! Really adds to the scene.