visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Railroad Camp Office/Warehouse

On to the next part of the HO Railroad Camp kit. I decided to separate the three buildings into independent builds as they will be used individually on the layout. I just completed the Truck Repair Shop (build posted separately). I did start the walls to this building some time ago so I will be starting post from here. These are the upper floor walls ready to be glued together.

Walls3
Walls4

Walls

Comments

• I had already colored the first floor rock walls as well. Here is the rear wall showing the colorization the closest to correct.
    Walls7

I love this pic of the front wall because it really shows the excellent mastering of castings that Brett does. Walls11
  • Looks very good to me ...
  • Excellent casting deserves a fine treatment as you have given it. Nice work.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Mighty fine modeling there... Stone walls look fantastic.
  • Well done Rick, nice and grungy just they way I like it! Stone work is spot on.
  • All looks very good. Especially stonework
  • i completely agree.
  • Some progress made on the office/warehouse. I decided to make the tar paper shed in a sad state. Here is where I am so far on these walls.

Walls15
    Walls16

The "Corona Holiday" definitely gives more time at the bench.
  • Very nice state of 'Sad' . Wear of wood and tarpaper at the right places. I like the look of the boards coming through the tarpaper. Wood color is great aswel. Nice work Goat !!!
  • I like it. Definitely showing the "wear." Phil
  • I really like the walls. Looks great.
  • The cracking and board coloration at ground level looks very realistic. Hard to believe it is HO scale. I also really like the effect of the boards coming through the tar paper. Great job on this very sad looking shed! Can't wait to see it all together.
  • if i didn't know better i would've guess those walls were ken's work. nice.
  • You are all so kind. Being compared to Ken is a true compliment. I would say all of you are my inspiration to reach higher than before. Thank you. Rick
  • Great dilapidated shed. Love the tarpaper
  • I have steady hands, but I don't have that creative eye that Ken has. You have set the bar for me extremely high. I know Ken is still a level above me, but I will strive for that bar. Such pressure. I thought I was supposed to be enjoying this build. lol Rick
  • You've got your own style going there Rick and it's working for you, looking great on the walls. Love the subtile impression of the boards behind the paper, perfect thickness to show this.
  • Thanks all for the very kind words. This build has pushed me to think beyond my typical level to do even better. Never "settle for".

I'm working on the warehouse section now and looking at the possibility of having the freight doors partly open. So I decided to try building the freight doors so they would be real wood and not as thick as the casting. Here is my first attempt. My door is in the wall and the casting to the side.

freight door 5

The one thing I noticed is no hinges on the casting. Whichever door I use, I need something for hinges. What have any of you used in HO scale for smaller hinges?

Rick
  • I think cardstock would work for hinges. Cut to size...a basic triangle shape. Use a pick to dimple where screws would go, then paint.
  • edited April 2020
    For the hinges, I have my own theorie. At least from what I see around me. , always on the inside of the doors. So you would only see them when a door is open. Seems Logic to me because if put on the outside , anyone could easely unskrew them of and remove the door to get inside. So when the door is closed , one would only see the turning part of the hinge. Now I can imagine on more ruraal edifices, not so much attention was gives to that, and hinges would be nailed ,,skrewed or even boulted to the frame.
    In HO, such a turning part could be represented by a small piece of rod. Plastic or brass. I also find that hinges are quickly to big compared to the doors.
    Just my vision on this....
  • You're making wonderful progress, looking so good! No need to repeat what Robert posted, thinking he's spot on.
  • The door looks great. Robert has you covered on the hinges. Phil
  • Rick,

Great work on the new wooden warehouse door. Perfect match for the structure. Looking forward to see what you do about your door hinge. For a wide single door I would think it would swing outward. If it swings in then it might cover part of what you hope to show inside the warehouse. Just my 2 cents worth.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Since I want to be able to have the warehouse doors open, I scratch built the double doors for the side wall too. I had not tried framing windows with HO 1X2s before. Interesting challenge. Yes, they are framed inside too since they will be open.

Walls20

Then of course, if the doors are open, you need a floor inside.

Walls19

Time consuming but I think it will be worth it.
  • edited April 2020
    i agree. but like a dope i put a false floor at the side doors.
  • The floor is large enough to handle both front and side doors. Rick
  • Great work on those doors. Love your additions.
  • I like the floor. Wall color is great.

Is it me or does the frame around the window on the left look a bit oversized?
  • Bryan,

If you are talking about this photo

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/966/JQG5VH0N0X85.jpg

it appears that the top window casing piece is clipped a bit short. Something easily remedied. Probably just one of those things that you don't see until you look at a photo. OOPS!

Later, Dave S.
  • The camera eye is brutal