visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Terry and the O scale Sawmill

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Thanks to all of you for your comments….what I’m going to do is finish building this one out and weathering it more, for the experience if nothing else, and when its time to mount it on the floor make a final decision .
    Also, let it be known that I appreciate the “atta boy” comments, who doesn’t, but I also appreciate the comments suggesting how i might use a different approach or methodology in my modeling…just want to keep getting better. One way to do that is with suggestions from my peers
    Terry
  • Terry, this is the right place for assistance and advice for our modeling. There are many great modelers on this forum and their comments are always appreciated. Your saw looks very good. I see no reason to redo it. Like has been mentioned when all the belts are applied and the saw is in the model any little defects likely won't show.
  • Thanks Tom

Terry
  • Terry,
    you know I'll be honest and don't give "attaboys" lightly... it does get me in trouble 'occasionally'...

It's hard to see what you feel is wrong with the previous pictures, if you express what you are not happy with specifically that may generate some suggestions or alternative routes from us to help you along.

As you say, we are all here to learn and improve from each other, to both get advice and also help where we can.
  • You can count on people here leading you down the right path...If you have done something that you feel isn't the way you think it should look....it's your world....you need to make it the way you want your world to look....as Karl said...no automatic "atta-boys".....so if you have specific concerns....state them....in the end....you should make it look as you want it to look....people here can answer concerns and led you to hopefully the look you want...
  • Brett, please stay with what you are doing now and don't give in on 'easy & quick '. Your kits, machinery, details is what puts you above all the rest, way above, so keep on being Sierra West !!! You know I think this is the Mother of all kits and Terry and all of us enjoy the building of it, seeing it come alive !!!.
  • Most of my issues with the saw relate to workmanship on my part and lack of experience in building this type of model…..Brett, the small part comment was directed to other builders to be aware and careful in handling the small parts. I would never advocate for “dumbing “ down your kits.
    Im thoroughly enjoying this build….next update will be on the MANY log posts the floor sits on….update soon
    Terry
  • edited May 2023
    This is a question primarily for those of you who have built the sawmill. I’m working on on log deck where the logs are unloaded from the rail car. The deck has two layers of plank flooring/decking. The first layer is put down with some order and uniformity. The second layer is very haphazard is direction snd spacing….almost as if in the 1:1 world the planks were just thrown down to protect the first layer from damage.
    Rather than merely following the directions explicitly i like to try and understand the operation of the mill or the thought process of the 1:1 builders
    Any thoughts?
    Terry
  • The second "haphazard" layer was beat to hell by the logs dumped on them. It is also just a craftsman kit! I am "the builder", my thoughts? Make It prototypical but interesting. You are a very experienced modeler so go with what feels right to you. There is no absolute, wrong or right. Karl and I designed this kit to be fun to build, stop stressing over the little things and enjoy the process!
  • Thanks Brett
    This is shaping up to be my most enjoyable build ever…..what a great kit so far…..
    Terry
  • Thanks Brett
    This is shaping up to be my most enjoyable build ever…..what a great kit so far…..
    Terry

that's great to hear buddy.

• I repeat you are doing a great job and once again it's your build and you are the one who needs to be happy. I have made a few blunders during my build some I managed to fix and others I left since I felt more damage could be caused in undoing, and these errors would be almost impossible to see on the completed model. I am happy with my progress taking into account it's my first build in over 20 years.
  • edited May 2023
    As Brett says, we designed the kit to be fun and simple to build, but also prototypical with lots of character. Everything is based on the real mill.

We guessed that the second layer was thrown down as re-enforcement as the first layer would be damaged extensively over time from the use of the peavies and jacks that are scattered around the rollway and used to manually move the logs.

Here is one of the thousands of prototype pics of the actual mill that we used when we were designing the kit.
    Note the haphazard boards to the right of where the logs are on the rollway.

The real Sturgeons Mill.

I do have a pic somewhere of the real rollway without the logs on it which shows why we designed and modeled it that way, with two layers and the second being haphazard, just like the original mill.

I'll post it if/when I find it on the old PC, rest assured, we did it the right way.
  • edited May 2023
    I couldn't find the exact picture I was looking for, but here are a few more of that area of the real mill that I found in my old files from back then when we were doing more research, these show the second layer of uneven boards.
    Dang that folder was over 10 years ago.

As Brett say's, do what you feel is right for you, but keep in mind the kit was very deeply and extensively researched and developed over several years and is extremely close to the actual mill, to make it kitable.

We could have just had the deck level for the kit, but the second random layer is too much of a beautiful detail that gives so much interest and depth to the scene that it had to be in the kit.
    Besides, it's authentic to the real mill and something most others would overlook.

The real Sturgeons Mill.

• Thanks Karl for the explanation snd pix……great photos
    Terry
  • This picture was taken on Sunday and posted on a fb site. The sawmill is a Frick sawmill from 1915 that was restored and is being used today. Still belt driven but powered by diesel. I don't know if the Sturgeon's mill is a Frick sawmill, but both sawmills look very similar and they are about the same age.
    Carr's sawmill1
  • Thanks Jim….would be great to visit one of the mills in person…especially if they were operating
    Terry
  • Terry, this particular mill allows visitors on Sundays, and I think they will even let you volunteer if you sign the release. This is in Pennsylvania and it's about 5 miles from where I once lived. It was not operating when I lived there but if I ever get back, I'm definitely going to spend some there and take lots of pictures.
  • edited May 2023
    This update covers the timber piers the sawmill floor sets on as well as the sheave and cable drum assembly which moves the log carriage back and forth.

The dowel which becomes the timber piers is much more dense and hard than the stripwood we're normally used to working with...perhaps a different wood species....regardless, about the only tool which would achieve the graining I wanted on the piers was a 'nail board' which many of you are familiar with.

014a
    015a

For the pier color I used a mixture of A/C 408.3/408.5/234.5. After the initial color was dry I dipped a rag in my #2 mixture of A/I (I have 4 strengths of A/I)and wiped it over the pier and immediately wiped it off with a clean rag....I wanted the A/I to stay in the graining but not necessarily affect the C/A color018

There's slightly more than 100 piers/piling to cut and glue in place. I used a razor saw with a block of wood acting as a stop. I got slight variation in lengths. A mini miter saw with rigid stop would have been the "cat's meow" but I couldn't justify the cost for a tool I would use so seldom. On the piers a little long I gouged out the foam base. The piers which are a little short will be compensated for when I spread the ground cover.023

The carriage drive cable is a white string soaked in a 50/50 mixture of A/I and Burnt Sienna craft paint per Brett's instructions in the manual. I doubt following Brett's recommendations will ever lead us down the wrong path.

The cable pulley in the last photo should actually be mounted more to the left of where its currently located. As installed the cable to the spool runs at an angle rather than straight on. I'm going to leave it as is because I fear I could cause more damage than the fix would warrant. Just something for anyone contemplating this build to remember. My intent in the build documentation is to highlight my missteps for someone else's benefit.

That's it for now. Up next will be the Log Deck where the logs are unloaded from the rail car.

Thanks for stopping by
    Terry
  • Also, I keep a fairly extensive journal on all of my builds....can't tell you how many times I've needed one or two more pieces of stripwood to match something and without my written documentation to refer to I'd be scratching my head trying to remember just how I created a color/finish.

Terry
  • impressive!
  • The least one can say. It's like I'm building it all over again.. Beautiful. :smiley:

You are doing an excellent job Terry !!!
  • edited May 2023
    Thanks Kev and Robert. I’m moving along faster than my normal modeling pace and it probably has something to do with how enjoyable this build is
    Terry
  • As I get older, I can't remember how I did something on a previous project or something that I did earlier on my current project. the journal is a good idea, but I always forget to do it. Your work is amazing Terry. Oh and by the way, I always screw up something and have to fix it or do it over. That is just the way it goes.
  • If anyone is interested, I posted a few years back photos of the Sturgeons mill from when I visited it and got a personal tour during the Sacramento NNG convention...it has many shots of the mill and machinery. it should all still be up there...
  • Just looked...they are from 2020 and titled Sturgeons Sawmill. There a re a few shots of the log loading area on both sides....hope they help...
  • Wow….great pix, Muddy….thank for the reference info
    Terry
  • Steve…I keep the journal very near my work area plus I’ve had to refer back to it so often its become second nature
    Terry
  • I think I have others....I will look and add them to the thread...
  • Nice job getting the dowels grained. That's a difficult task.