visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Terry and the O scale Sawmill

Comments

• Dowels look great.
  • Looks great great coloring on the piers!!

Jerry
  • Color and textures of the wood turned out GREAT!
  • This update on my sawmill build deals with the twin cylinder mill engine. This is my second piece of machinery and I'm really beginning to enjoy them. 025

I'm going to add grease and oil stains but I wanted to get this posted for your review and comment.
    Terry
  • Looks great grease and oil stains would be add to the look.
  • That is looking fantastic Terry, really nice wear marks, worn paint and subtle surface rust.
    Looking forward to seeing it progress with the next steps that you outlined, it is going to be terrific.
    Great colouring on the concrete base already.
  • Very nicely done.

Jerry
  • Nice result. The further you go with this kit, the more you will like it !!! I did for sure. :smiley:
  • Looks great, beautifully constructed and painted.
  • Nice machine.

If the wheel is still able to spin, I would spin it to try to hide the little bump in front.
  • Thanks guys…..Bryan, yes it still spins….have been hesitant to put that drop of glue to finalize it ……amazing how photos see what doesn’t seem to be seen normally
    Terry
  • Very realistic. Well done.
  • nicely done buddy.
  • Terry, looks great to me!
  • Turned out great! Nice weathering on it.
  • Great job Terry. Keep up the fine work sir.
  • Thanks Alco, Kev, Tom, Mike and Emery….it’s becoming the build i hoped it would be. Brett has really done a great job of engineering this sawmill.
    Terry
  • Nice work. I really like the whole project but the concrete is particularly nicely done.
  • Thanks Joel….The concrete pads were weathered just as Brett's instructions called for....primed from a rattle can then three C/A washes (704.5-408.3-408.9) . Dipping the alcohol saturated brush in one of the caulk colors and randomly spreading it around then repeating with the other two colors never making one color more dominant than the others. Repeating the process as required and not cleaning the brush between colors. Finally, after the alcohol/caulk is dry, touch a well saturated brush of alcohol/ink to the bottom edge letting A/I be drawn up the face to the top edge. Repeat as required.....hard to beat Brett's methods
    Terry
  • .....hard to beat Brett's methods
    Terry

Aint that the truth, great work Terry !!!
  • As Karl has always said as have a lot of us...the methods it the manuals are tried, tested and perfected. Always follow them first...and in particular if you have issues. One thing Brett is great with is customer service....contact him and he'll do what needs to be done.
  • Terry
    That is a fine example of good workman ship. ......Carl.....
  • Thanks Carl….

Muddy, I just looked looked up the phrase “customer service “ in my Funk & Wagnals and lo and behold…there was a picture of Brett. ;-))
  • Good Morning:
    I don't post much but I am always on this forum looking at what the experienced builders such as yourself do so I can improve my modeling skills. I saw your comment regarding making the piers equal in size, and you may want to visit the web site ultimation.ca that makes a great "sander and repeater" tool that allows you to cut the exact same size again and again. I have both the slicer and sander/repeater tools and they are great and I use them on every Sierra West model I build. Just a thought that may help you. Keep up the great job you're doing. I love your work and thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks for the recommendation on the Ultimation tools…. I’m slightly aware of them but glad to know you’re satisfied with them.
    Thanks also for your comments about my modeling. Truth of the matter is that just as you mentioned, any skill/knowledge i have in modeling is mostly due to following what’s being done here by other modelers. The guys who hang out here not only show their work but many times explain their process
    Terry
  • Seems Ive developed a stutter
    Terry
  • Catching up here Terry. Excellent project and your work thus far is wonderfully done. Love your journal log steer, great idea. Look forward to following along.
  • i think we need an update bro....
  • edited July 2023
    Kev….summer activities/house projects/travel have gotten in the way of modeling. I have an update coming out in next months SS&I Gazette but that has all been covered here.
    Hopefully next month the modeling will continue and an update will follow. If I recall, basic ground cover and ‘planting’ of the base structure is next up. Thanks for checking on me…. I know better than to try pulling a fast one on you ;-))
    Terry
  • A quick update...I've been traveling during July so the Sawmill is on hold until I return. However, I have been working on a Logging Disconnect which will ultimately be staged with the Sawmill.
    A great little kit. It lends itself to modeling several disconnects at once but then I fear they would all look alike. Rather than that I'm going to build them one at a time with a couple of weeks or a month in between, Hopefully this will present some differences in color and weathering between them.
    The 'Bunk', the cross timber which supports the log(s) is a cast resin piece. I'm not completely satisfied with how it finished out to look like wood. I'm open to comments and or suggestions. I finished the bunk in the photo as follows:
    1) Rattlecan gray primer
    2) AK783 Weathered Wood
    3) Diluted Reaper black paint wiped on with a cloth and wiped off (to leave the wood grain dark
    Help me out here guys...with the bunk color or anything else you suggest
    Terry 001