visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Terry and the O scale Sawmill

Comments

• Getting the resin to match the wood exactly is something I struggle with as well Terry. Hopefully someone can elighten us.
  • Spot on Terry! Beautiful work my friend.
  • As long as the heavier wood of the bunk and frame match...it's ok....the smaller planks with age and color differently...and thats perfect...it looks really good....don't work it too much....
  • One more comment on how I did the rusty steel parts (coupler pockets/nbw).
    I used Vallejo Rust Texture 73.821.

It doesn’t show up well in my photos but this product dries with a texture of rusty steel as well as an accurate color …...really pleased with it
    Terry
  • edited July 2023
    Thanks Ken and Muddy for the vote of confidence …Emery, I’m confident someone will chime in with their method…. Muddy brought up a good point that the Bunk/Frame doesn’t necessarily have to match the deck boards
    Terry
  • I just use the same chalk and alcohol on the resin as on the wood and they come out the same. The same with resin benches and shelves.
  • Thanks Karl…..you haven’t steered me wrong on a suggestion yet….i guess i assumed the different porasity ( not sure if that’s a word) of wood/resin would effect the color but stands to reason when the alcohol evaporates the chalk color will remain
    Terry
  • Prime the resin with tan as described in the manual and colour with C&A the same as the wood. It's never failed me yet.... and I've done a couple or few of Bretts parts along the way...
  • Looking just fine !!!
  • Finally a quick update on the O Scale sawmill....almost ready to begin the floor. The rail is hand laid. Not sure if I'm going to add rail spikes or not. The ballast is a 'homemade' concoction. I bought a bag of patio sand at Lowes (the stuff you sweep into joints of patio stones) and sifted it thru 3 sifting screens. To the medium courseness I added dark gray sanded grout and Durhams Rock Hard. As of now I haven't used any white glue/water as a bonding agent. I want to see how the sanded grout/Durhams set up due to humidity in the air.

The ground cover is a mixture of ground up grass clippings/leaves/sticks/soil I collected from the walking path the wife and I use every morning. The material collects in low spots of the parking lot .

The gravel 'road' going to the sawdust bin is the same type mixture as the ballast except I used the fine courseness

Terry029
  • Looks great. Looking forward to the start of the floor!

Jerry
  • Great progress Terry!
  • Looks fantastic!

• The wooden retaining wall is a nice touch
  • I like the retaining wall as well….not sure what I’m going to do about the ballast…..reason I haven’t glued it down is I can still remove it easily if necessary. I’m torn between setting the ties in ballast of just setting then in the soil…comments/advice welcome
    Terry
  • Terry
    Great idea for the ballast.
    "The ballast is a 'homemade' concoction. I bought a bag of patio sand at Lowes (the
    stuff you sweep into joints of patio stones) and sifted it thru 3 sifting screens. To the
    medium coarseness I added dark gray sanded grout and Durham's Rock Hard."
    Be sure to let us know your final conclusion re the ballast experiment.
    Go ahead and spike the rail. Rail spikes are a great detail and that is what the SierraWest structures are about, "great detail".
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • This is coming alive !! What a great kit this is !!!
  • A very quick update on the sawmill. Finally finished graining, sawbanding, knots and staining the stripwood for the sawmill floor deck. 50+ lengths (24"). I've been traveling most of December so when I return home in January I'll begin setting the floor boards
    Terrystripwood 02
    stripwood 01
  • Love your drying rack! The board detail shown is really well done. It all starts with the wood and nice to see it treated so well! Wonderful progress Terry, shaping up to be a beautiful piece.
  • Well done, yes a lot of time required to complete all the wood but time well spent to achieve a great model.
  • Great looking progress on the wood boards and especially the structure base.
    Looking forward to January when you get back to it and seeing your next update.
  • Keep it coming Terry. Great progress.
  • great wood detailing! It's those subtle details that make a model.
  • Good progress. It sure is a lot of wood
  • Yesterday saw the beginning of the deck installation. Brett's construction manual states the project is "half" completed....okay Brett, you're the boss ;-))
    TerryDecking01
  • Terry it all depends on what half you are looking at very nice work there my friend.
  • “A lot of wood” doesn’t do this justice. This is a testament to human perseverance!
  • Looks great Terry unfortunately my progress on this kit has slowed down daughter and her 2 children have moved back in with us due to cost of living in Australia going up, so my time taken up sorting the house out to accommodate them. Hopefully I will be able to get back into making progress on my sawmill soon.
  • Looks great so far.