visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Railroad Camp aka RRC

Comments

• I think any bigger on the shingles and you may be drifting out of scale a bit. I agree on possibly covering the top horizontal piece of srtipwood. The manual shows it all but covered up...Ken
  • edited June 2018
    Terry,
    last time you posted an update I was going to say "man, I thought you said you were slow....." and here you are with another one.
    Of course, you are right, once you get 'into' a build and then post it, and others encourage you, or even 're-direct' you.... we become keener to get back to the bench, and the next step.
    As Ken says, having fellow, like minded modellers along for the ride here on the forum always makes for a great journey. Motivation and support is a great thing, which goes both ways, so thanks again for sharing this build with us.

The wall looks great, the initial 'blotchy' white has faded away with all the distractions of the varied siding, the doors, windows, etc. Fantastic complicated simple design by Brett, and nicely executed by you.

As for the shingles, I was already borderline on suggesting they were close to too large, personally I definitely wouldn't increase their size.

Lightening them could be done with a drybrushing, which I don't do very often, but on shingles I do find it enhances them.
    If you haven't dry brushed before do LOTS of practice before you try it on this great wall, its easy to over do at first, and although it's a very simple technique, until you get the 'feel' for it you can go too far, or too heavy really quickly.

A practice section is a quick and easy thing to build and very beneficial.

Karl.A
  • i'm saving my pennies for this kit. thought i had the dough last week but my car needed it worse.....
    what you're doing on it looks great, but i agree with the fellas about not going to bigger shingles and i agree with your thought about covering more of the 1 x 12.
  • edited June 2018
    I've been wanting to try using real cedar sheets for shingles for some time so RRC became my first attempt at it.....I began with a sheet size of 2 1/2 x 5 1/2 by .011 thickness....I first primed the sheet with a clear solvent based sealer. After letting the sheet sit overnight I used the coloring method suggested in the RRC manual...Reaper Grimy Black and SW Bone White applying the black first and the white second while the black was still wet.....I then taped the cedar sheet to a piece of mat board and made pencil marks as cutting lines for a finished shingle size of 8-12" wide and 16" long cutting the shingle width first with the grain of the cedar sheet starting just below the tape which holds the cedar sheet to the mat board ending up with a series of cedar strips which are still taped along the top....clear as mud so far?.....
    I then cut the height of the shingles against the grain...a steel ruler as a guide and a new single edge blade worked fine to this point, however, I also cut up a second sheet which was slightly thicker (.018) and the steel ruler/single edge blade didn't work as well on the cross cuts (shingle height) as I couldn't hold enough pressure on the steel ruler to keep the blade from dragging the cedar strips out of position.....my NWSL Chopper worked better for cutting the .018 sheet shingles to length....all that being said, I ended up with a pile of cedar shingles to apply individually. Every 3rd or 4th shingle I trimmed down a tad both in width and height with for a little variance in size...
    Applying the shingles is a tedious chore but I think it goes well with the board on board concept of modeling as the degree of variance can be achieved in both color and size.....
    I hope this is somewhere near an understandable explanation in the use of real cedar sheets for a shingle roof application....also, not my original concept but rather a sharing of an article from Model Railroader November 1969 by Richard H. Christ and the instruction sheet which came with the cedar sheets by Dave Barron of Sierra Scale Models...if anyone is interested I will gladly email (or try posting here) the 2 page article from Model Railroader

Happy Shingling
    Terry

IMG_4499
    IMG_4500
    IMG_4501
    IMG_4502
  • Looking at my pile of shingles another thought just popped into my head...since one side of the cedar is aged and the other side is the natural cedar color the option is available to have an area of the roof installed as a patch job where Homer Dunwoody, the head of maintenance and engineering for the RRC, at some point in the recent past has gotten up on the roof to replace some damaged shingles caused by the straight line winds that tore off a section of the roof...just sayin'

Terry
  • If you do decide to go with a 'patch job' on the roof... I'll go out on a limb and make a suggestion.....

The following is my opinnion, disregard at will...
    A roof 'repair' is a frequently done thing, maybe to break up the monotony, maybe to add interest, maybe cos people think it looks 'cool'.

However they only seem to do them as though the roof repair was done yesterday, brand new and clean....
    Look at the diorama as a whole.... its full of patches and different layers, but they all show age, that's what makes it all blend together so well, despite the differences, this was no accident.

If you do decide for a newer patch on the roof make it at least 6 months old, dulled down and aged slightly, instead of the usual 6 hours old, bright, and, it just stands out too much.
    My thoughts

Karl.A

• edited June 2018
    Thanks for the comment Karl....hadn't thought of it in that vein...and yes you and anyone else is welcome to 'go out on a limb' on my postings....
  • edited June 2018
    Left and front wall of the boiler/welding shop...I took someone's suggestion and moved the shingles down to cover most of the 2x12 horizontal starter board...on the left wall I trimmed out the trapdoor in the peak with the same 1x4 that the windows are trimmed out with...the manual shows the trapdoor plated in the shingles without trim but here again I borrowed a suggestion that the trim makes the door look more prototypical

Terry
  • Lost the photos trying to do an edit on the previous post
    IMG_4503
    IMG_4505
    IMG_4506
    IMG_4507
  • edited June 2018
    You're definitely making swift progress Terry.
    I'll have to look at these pics on a bigger screen than my phone, hopefully tomorrow, and I'll make some further comments then.
    The shingles covering the 1x12 more than previously definitely looks much better.
    These small things make a big difference overall.

Karl.A
  • Yup, I agree with Karl...covering that strip looks much better. The white paint peel is blending in with the rest of the wall nicely. Gap below the double door appears a bit generous, may just be the reflection...great progres Terry.
  • edited June 2018
    Good eye on the doors....I dug thru the box of castings 3 times thinking I had the wrong doors for the opening until I realized the door clearance at the bottom accommodates rail and ties that pass thru the building
  • Have been gone from the build for awhile but am back on the Boiler/Welding shop...I decided to a try Ken's technique of the water damaged corner he introduced on his Foundry Build...comments are encouraged

Terry

Water Damage Corner
  • terry.
    the rotten corner looks like its going to turn out awesome, but the horizontal boards on the last pic look unnatural to my eye. the texture and coloring look great, but the edge cuts don't look right.
  • I agree with Kevin on the board edges. The rotted area looks about right, but the edges of the boards would be more ragged in an area like this. That is ragged but not fresh broken...so I'd try to dig and gouge out the cut edges, lightly sand to smooth, then darken like mold. I think that would work.

Love the color and texture on the 3rd board down on the right. It really has the old-weathered barn color to it.
  • Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys.....my thinking on the board ends was that there would be a vertical corner cap ....the board ends would be covered...need to check photos of a finished kit...if no cap piece you’re correct in ‘weathering’ the ends’....that’s why I like posting my work here..getting an outside perspective...thanks
    Terry
  • Very true Terry, your point is why this forum is such a great place to be!...your missing and damaged wood areas are fine to me just too abrupt as has been mentioned. Either way will look fine once things are together...
  • Terry, I'm glad you are stretching out to new things. Looks great. Phil
  • Looking good Terry, the exposed framing on the bottom corner looks great, it's going to be an eyecatching detail.

Karl.A
  • edited October 2018
    Nearly ready to assemble the walls of the Boiler/Welding shop...still have to install the last set of windows and door...an earlier comment(s) was made about the (undamaged) board ends at the wall corners...my plan had been to use a 1x6 or 1x8 corner trim assembly board at the corners which would have hidden the board ends....

'If all else fails, read the instruction"...so, I looked at Brett's manual and sure enough, he calls for a 6x6 corner trim piece to be used at the corners which in fact would leave the horizontal board ends exposed.....the plan now is to 'roughen' up the board ends, use the 6x6 as indicated and then make a determination as to further add the 1x8 corner trim.....

Terry
    Boiler-Welding walls 01
  • Looking great, Terry
  • Wonderful coloration and contrast between the siding and shingles. So interesting and full of character. I love the subtle peeling white paint. Thanks for sharing with us!
  • I'm about to hand lay some track and want to have the ties appear like they would in a back woods environment where little usage means little or no maintenance...anyone have any photos of similar track they've laid...if not I'll lay the ties in non-uniform spacing and not always parallel...they should probably be heavily weathered and split.

Terry
  • terry,
    i would expect the ties to be well weathered and mostly buried.
  • Non uniform spacing and unparrallel sounds good Terry. Also as Kevin says, nicely weathered, to match the age of the building and also down in the dirt to show they've been there and neglected for just as long as that aged structure... it all 'ties' together.

Just be carefull on the uneven spacing and parallel side of things... originally they would have been pretty true, as usuall, don't over do it, make your marks and measurements for placement, then, slightly eyeball it and misalign as you go.... subtlty will show up well and add to the effect of imperfection without looking exaggerated.

My thoughts,
    Karl.A
  • That damaged corner looks very good, love the studs showing...
  • Excellent progress on one of my all time favorite structures.

I love handlaying backwoods looking track. I'll post a couple photos here but only because you asked. I like a little bit of non-uniform spacing, but as Karl points out a little goes a long way with this. My process goes something like this:

Glue down the ties and let dry overnight. Give a heavy grain with a stiff brush. Sand lightly and brush with lighter brush to get rid of splinters. Color to suit. I have used chalks and plain IA. Both look good. Let dry. Lightly sand tops to give a sun-bleached look. Add dirt/ballast. I give a first layer of 50/50 sifted dirt/ballast. Glue down (I use matte medium). Let dry. Lay rail (paint while stuff is drying). Spike each tie. Sprinkle on very fine dirt to begin to cover up some of the ties...do this to taste. This too can be overdone. Add some cinder in top down the middle of the ties. Glue down. Add oil spill, etc. Add vegitation to taste. And have fun with this part of the build.

In these pics I have applied a heavy layer of oil only because of the nature of the diorama. No vegitation added yet. Note the 3rd tie from the right, far rail in the closeup has a rail joiner.
    IMG_0128
    IMG_0130
  • Thanks for the comments and advice, guys...so great that no one is proprietary or 'tight lipped' with their ideas...the walls of the Boiler/Welding shop are put together and I'll post photos shortly
    Terry