visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

EUREKA SPRINGS ENGINE HOUSE in O-SCALE

Comments

• Great progress Jerry, any plans to weather the framing at all? Keep us posted...
  • Thanks Bill and looking in.

Yes Ken the frame will have some weathering after the siding goes on.

Jerry
  • edited March 2018
    Looking fantastic my friend...
    Once you have the siding boards coloured for the interior of the boards use that colur and match it on your framing. Once the siding is added to the frame you will then find it easier to add shadows between the studs, also along the horizontal stud lines, where dirt would gather....
    and then, the specific weathering in certain areas will flow nicely.
    It really makes a difference on a large open structure like this.
  • Karl thank you for looking in. And for your comments. I will be sure to talk to you when I'm ready for your help.
    Great to see you!

Jerry
  • The machine shop back wall. The brown is not showing as well as I would like due to my lighting.

Working on the side walls
    next.DSC_4152

DSC_4158
  • Great looking wall Jerry. I believe I detect some nice saw banding on those boards? That's a really cool detail if that's what I'm seeing.
  • Thanks Ed.

Yes Ken its the first time I tried it. They came out better than I thought. And thanks for looking in.

Jerry
  • i have a feeling brett's gonna unveil the foundry tomorrow.....
  • You were right!!

Jerry
  • you lucky h.o. guys........
    it was weird. friday i just had a feeling that this long awaited kit was due. no mind reading ed, just dumb luck.
    i hope the O scale version is close behind.
  • Moving along Jerry! Excellent.

There is no such thing as dumb luck and coincidences Kevin... I think there is some insider trading going on here, hah! and the O Scale version will be awhile.
  • at least we'll get to see it soon....

it was funny, i checked in this morning and saw the thread about the foundry, then i noticed i had a message in my inbox from ken wanting to know how i knew (as if there was some skullduggery on my part or something). just dumb luck.....
  • i just went back and checked. what ken actually said was, "who in the heck to you that"? heheheh.... no one told me.
  • Nice work Jerry, looking forward to seeing it come together but a great start.
  • Looking great Jerry, that framing construction is as sweet and as neat as it gets, great work.
    I'll shoot you an email on that question you asked me in a day or two, haven't forgotten, I just gotta take new pics.

Great work so far, keep it coming.

Karl.A
  • Thanks guys its appreciated.

Karl I didn't think you forgot me thanks I'll be looking forward to it.

Jerry
  • Wall done over with door. Battens on. Knots showed up pretty good.

If my dam arthritis wasn't bother me so much I'd much be much farther along...

Maybe I need a bigger scale to work in!!

DSC_4175

Jerry
  • Thanks Ed. Hope your doing well!

Jerry
  • Jerry, I also like the coloring a lot. You are doing a remarkable job. Like the saw banding also as Ken pointed out and the great look of your wall studs.

Geezerbill
  • No worries Jerry...take your time I'm enjoying the build at your pace. You paint peel and weathering on the door looks great...Ken
  • Check out Brett's video "Adding Details to Stripwood" on the Videos page. Saw banding is the occasional imperfection you get on the surface of a sawn piece of lumber that is left be the saw blade when the wood is not drawn perfectly through the cutting process. Imagine ripping a piece of wood through a table saw and occasionally pulling the piece sideways a bit. You would get a slight gouge in the wood outlined by the outer perimeter of the saw blade.

Somebody out there more knowledgeable can probably describe better.

Vince
  • edited April 2018
    Cutting wood with a 'rough cut' blade will leave marks on the wood as Vince rightly describes.

Rough cut lumber is produced by using a blade with fewer teeth, it cuts quicker but, not as cleanly, leaving saw blade marks along the face of the board, perpendicular to the board length.

Rough cut lumber was cheaper because... it was quicker to produce.

It was therefor used for 'non-cosmetic' purposes, such as basic construction or siding on utilitarian structures where a fine finish was not needed.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Ken & Bill. Nice explanation on the saw banding Karl thanks.

Jerry
  • You can tell the type of saw used in some cases. This was circular. If bands a straight across it would be a large band saw
  • He was something to see for sure Love Cheap Trick and my favorite ELP
  • A little progress. Its not glued together.
    Still needs the windows and the top gable needs the battens.
    DSC_4177

DSC_4179
  • Jerry, that sure is looking nice. Wonderful craftsmanship.

Geezerbill
  • Looking great Jerry, I love board and batten siding, it adds so much depth,
    and yours is very nicely done.
    Window trim also looks clean, tight and good execution.
    Coming along nicely.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl its really appreciated.

Jerry