visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Twin Mills

Comments

• So here's a recap of the problem and the solution: The bubbles were indeed on the surface BUT there were also some trapped in the areas where I went back and overbrushed. Two ways to fix it: Karl again recommended Xylene (the paint stripper) to thin and dissolve the Liquitex. Or it can be sanded off with a medium grit sand paper. Using the Xylene turns the cured Liquitex into a tacky jelly. I dabbed it on with a brush and let it soak for a bit, then used a piece of stiff plastic to gently scrape it off. The plastic was the heavy packaging that a lot of products come in:

The Xylene left a real light film or residue that was easily cleaned off with a little glass cleaner. That also works to clean an Envirotex area that gets dust or fingerprints on it. Using Windex or 409 and one of those cloths for cleaning a computer screen works pretty well.

As far as sanding the surface, it takes a lot of effort and creates a bunch of dust. Snading too far and into the Envirotex is no problem. Clean up any of the dust and add a thin coat of fresh Envirotex and the scratches will disappear.

So here was the before with all the bubbles:

And after:

You can see some of the surface scratches I put in while getting a bit aggressive removing the old Liquitex. Won't matter much once I get the ripples in.
    The solution to the original problem was in the application. Karl had a theory that the Liquitex probably "skins over" just a tiny bit and going back over will block the original layer from out gassing the bubbles. I got a nice email from Dave Frary. "You got bubbles because you repeatedly brushed the Liquatex on the surface. This is a no-no." The trick is to use a large soft brush (like a make-up brush) and plop the gloss coat on and don't brush it...dab it in place.
    This next attempt, I'm going to use Mod Podge. It'll take multiple layers but should look pretty nice.
  • Great to see this little set back has been overcome....
    Looking forward to the next update.

Karl.A
  • It is wonderful to see modelers pulling together to fix one person's challenge. It is good that we share.
  • Great save Bill. Glad it worked out in the end.

I was going to recommend ripping it all up and starting again. :)
  • Wes--that "solution" has been on the table more than once for me!!

I added a layer or two of Mod Podge and it looks much better. For the areas that would be less turbulant, I dabbed on Mod Podge with a large soft make-up brush. (Sorry about the over-exposuer on this pic):

As the current increases and the water gets more active, I used a round synthetic brush and "placed" blobs of Mod Podge (towards the trestle and the stream). Smaller blobs; closer together:

As careful as I was in pouring the Envirotex I still managed to get a couple drips here and there. Rather than make the entire log wet with more Envirotex, I added some Mod Podge on and around the drips:

The result is that the log looks like it's wet but starting to dry. It's pretty effective on the bark but not nearly as good on the end grain:

I used a small flat brush to add a little gloss gell around the tires and pilings and the stronger current lines near the edges of the logs.

Here are some overall pictures of the area I've worked on. There are a couple milky white spots where the Mod Podge isn't completly dry and I still ended up with tiny air bubbles within the gloss in some spots, but nothing like the huge cluster earlier. That being said, I'm looking forward to any suggestions or comments.

• I liked it better the other way......
  • Too bad! I'm all out of Xylene and hardware store won't sell me any more because they think I'm building a diry bomb in my basement.
  • It'll probably grow on me.... eventually
  • I like the last shot with the movement in the water. It looks so much more realistic than the usual flat pond with not even a ripple.

How long does the modge podge take to fully dry?
  • Thanks Wes. I'm almost done and I'll post some updated pics.
    The Mod Podge dries fairly quick unless it's applied heavily. In that case, it can take 24 hours or more. I had some really thin applications dry in less than an hour. For it to "cure" is anybody's guess. In Frary's video he says that he seals it because Mod Podge remains sticky and will collect dust.
  • Haven't got the video yet. What does he say to seal it with?
  • By the way, it's looking great!
  • You use an acrylic gloss varnish (like the stuff for finishing furniture). Apply 2 or 3 thin coats on top of the mod podge. Here's what he uses:

• The other half of the pond is now full of ripples.
    I think it took about 9 or 10 coats of Mod Podge to complete the ripple effect. One interesting thing I learned is that if you apply the Mod Podge in a very thin layer and allow the impression from the brush to show, you'll get a frozen water look. It's pretty neat...seems as if the lake had just skinned over with a fragile layer of ice. Not what I was looking for, but it may be useful to someone modeling a winter scene. Here's a look at the rest of the pond...

I also fooled around and made this log that looks like it's falling into the water from the log brow. If you've seen how Dave Frary makes a waterfall using a plastic bag, this follows pretty much the same method. I streaked gloss gel medium onto a plastic bag in the shape of the splash, then epoxied strips of plastic from a clear Solo cup to give it the curved shape. I built up more and more of the gel medium, colored it with a light wash of dark green and brown, dry brushed some white on the tips and added a final layer of Mod Podge.

It's not glued in place since I doubt I'll leave it there permanently. The log is hollowed out and filled with lead fishing sinkers on one end to make it defy gravity.

I still need to add the stream feeding into the pond, but other than that, all the major elements are complete. There are several miscelanous odds and ends to take care of and scenery details to touch up and finish.
    From where I stand, the punch list looks to be getting smaller!
  • All I can say is WOW!!!

I like the effect of the falling log!

The punch list getting smaller is always a good feeling!
  • pond is outstanding - a whole new level buddy!
  • Well Mr. Gallant, you made my weekend! I can't wait for you to see it in person.

I just love this picture. The water over the log ramp looks so real. Stunning job Bill.
  • Thanks Wes! I was reading an old thread somewhere on RRLine that suggested taking some low angle photos and so I tried it. However, I almost didn't post the picture...take a look at the castings on the dock. Doh!
  • Echo.
    WOW and really like the log falling look.
    Good job.
  • LOL. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would never have seen it.

Guess with those massive logs moving all over the place, something is bound to fall over.
  • Some more loose ends to tie up. I finished up the wood for the loading dock and assembled the little log buggies. For the "fresh cut" wood, I expanded on what I did with the wood in the drying shed. Still using Gold Ochre 231.3 and Burnt Umber 409.7 chalks to color some of the edges and ends, I also lightly scribed in some grain and knot holes into the top boards. I made a thicker slurry of gold ochre and alcohol and dabbed it onto the surface then, wiped off most of it. That gave me boards with a fairly believable grain texture without an aged look.

It probably seems like a lot of work on minutia. But when viewed in context, I think it goes a long way in selling the illusion:

For the log buggies, I wanted to make a way to tie down the lumber based on this picture in the Pino Grande book:

It's a little tough to see, but each buggy has 2 wood ribs with a bolt/hook type of harwarde that the chains fasten to. Each chain connects to the bunks that are mounted on the deck. I made the hardware out of thin brass wire and added a NBW at each corner. Here's how the first one turned out:

If you look at the prototype picture, the lumber is much longer. On mine, I cut the boards at around 10 scale feet (just like the wood on the loading dock). I thought the longer boards would look funny, but the shorter 10 footers also look odd. Makes it seem a little stubby. But, what do you guys think? I've got three more to go.
  • I think it looks great! I really how the "raw" wood is colored. It makes it look like fresh lumber and not just cut pieces of strip wood.
    I think the boards look good and are not too short. I really like how you've tied them down.
    It looks great!
  • Yup, I agree with Jim, your raw wood looks very believable and the enhancements to the basic log buggy are great. I think the short length is fine. Might be kinda cool to see a buggy or two with the longer length but then you will need a rooster or two laying about. This was a bar used to couple the cars when the loads they carried prevented them from coupling directly.
  • I was thinking the same thing about having some longer - or different lengths. Then you would need a rooster as Brett suggested. It would be hard to have it operational then. I noticed you don't have couplers installed yet. What was your plan?
  • Thanks you guys for the nice words.
    Jim-
    I may try doing a buggy or two with longer boards. I can tell I need light chain for the short loads. As far as couplers, I'm guessing link & pin would be the way to go. I know nothing about trucks and couplers. Got any suggestions as to a make and model that would work?

Brett-
    I tried to google "rooster bar" and here's what I got:

• Ha!
    Brett has a good picture of one on his On30 log train disconnect trucks page. The link and pin system is pretty small for HOn3 but works pretty good in On30.
  • "It probably seems like a lot of work on minutia. But when viewed in context, I think it goes a long way in selling the illusion:"

Maybe but it sure looks so good. An excellent job Bill!!!!!!!!!!
  • Actually you got Brett's fan club. They'll be at the EXPO drop by to meet them.

Jerry
  • I've been touching up/finishing up the landscape. The color of sand and dirt that I'm using was starting to give me a desert feel, so I went and thickened up the weeds and grasses along the edges of the diorama. The the edges of the shoreline needed some work to hide the "creep" from the Envirotex. A little glue and dirt on the shiny spots took care of that. And I also worked some areas at the top of the banks to show signs of errosion.