visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Twin Mills

edited June 2011 in HO Scale Builds
I'm finally underway and making progress on this beauty! Construction on the mill has been well documented by Elliott, Mike, and one of the Karls (can't remember which) on RR-Line, so I'll be brief with the initial info. I'm going to experiment a little with this build--mostly construction techniques since the way the buildings are laid out fits perfectly with the area I have available on my benchwork.

The first thing was to color the stripwood (LOTS of it!). The recipe in the manual is almost identical to the recipe from the last build I did (Essentials) so I played around with some different color combinations. I used these acrylics:
1 tsp Folk Art Burnt Umber, 1 tsp Folk Art Barn Wood, 1 tsp Ceramcoat Charcoal and 1 tsp of Anita's Charcoal (it's a much lighter gray than the Ceramcoat). Also, 1 tsp of Higgins black India ink in 20 ozs of water. After 24 hours, I got a nice dusty gray-tan color:
Here's the range of colors:
One thing about using the craft paint rather than Pollyscale is that they settle to the bottom a lot quicker, so the bags had to be shaken up more often.
For swiping, I tried a variation of Mike Chamber's ink stains. 12 oz 91% alchol + 1 tsp of black ink plus a pre-mixed solution of 4 oz of water + 1 tsp of Bombay Van Dyke Brown + 1 tsp Bombay Sepia. Rather than "swiping" each piece of stripwood, I added the entier bag of stripwood into a pan and covered it with the ink stain. I left the wood in for a short time (maybe a couple minutes) then started pulling them out and wiping them off. By the time I got to the last pieces, they'd be darker than the ones I pulled out first. Here's a sample of the color range:

Comments

• edited June 2011
    The walls of the new mill are first. The right wall gets boarded while the left wall does not.
    imageimage

And here's the completed right wall:

• great start Bill... looks like you are about 1% complete with the kit!
  • Looking good Bill, wood colouration is very nice and varied. Precise construction as always with your builds.

I'll be watching and waiting for progress with interest.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the nice words and encouragement, guys! Brett--I showed the kit to my dad (not a model builder). His reaction--"Can you imagine how much research went into this?" I told him that it's all done with Google!

Here are the trusses:

And here's how I did the main floor: I'd been reading Kevin's thread on detailing castings on RR-Line and took note of the chalks he was using to help define wood parts. Using Rembrandt Burnt Sienna 411.3, Gold Ochre231.3, Raw Umber 408.7 and Burnt Umber 409.5 I was able to get a bunch of color combinations for the floorboards.

After I had them all in place, I toned the colors down and blended them together with a good rubbing with steel wool and a little A/I.

• Bill

Looks good so far nice coloring. Looking for more posts from you in the future.

Jerry
  • I really like what you have done so far Bill. The variation in the wood colouring looks great. Kevins thread on the RR Line is a great help i have found.

Looking forward to more progress.
  • Thanks Jerry & Wes. More progress to post...
    The sub floor is done and I gave it the same treatment as the main floor with the chalk weathering. The colors are nice, but a little too loud. Looked sort of like a gym floor. So again, they got a good brushing with steel wool and a coat of A/I, let it dry and repeat. Here's before and after pics:

Next, I added the legs to the main floor and the bracing (which I neglected to take a picture of)

Then, I built the sorting platform. Same construction technique as the main floor, but I weathered it differently. By looking at the pictures, it seems the platform is 100% exposed to the weather as opposed to the previous floor which at least had a roof over it. With that in mind...no chalk coloring; just the colors from the stain soaking, textured with a brush folowed by steel wool and ink:

For the legs on this baby (all 60 of them!), I think I came up with a clever way to install them quickly while still keeping them square. I'll put that in the next post.

But for now, I'm TWO percent of the way done!!

• And a great looking 2% it is Bill.

You're moving along swiftly.....

Karl.A
  • Actually Karl, I've got more done. Finding time to take, edit and post pictures has been more of an issue.
    How are things going with you? Site looks good and I'm looking forward to the HO dtail parts.

Bill
  • Bill, you're coming along nicely. In my younger days (just a few years back) I did a lot of picture taking and posting to the web. Now it seems that I've gotten more into just building the thing (with a few pictures taken for posting down the road) and using the extra time it takes to make web pages, or posting to a forum to further my progress on the model instead.

You'll quickly catch up to where I'm at on the mill and pass me soon. I jump from project to project but seeing your success may bring me back around to this one!

-Jim.
  • outstanding job thus far... just what I expected from you!
  • edited June 2011
    Jim-
    I know what you mean. Posting pictures and getting shots that are reflective of the build is time consuming and can almost be a hobby within the hobby. But, the feedback I get makes it worth the extra effort. Plus, there've been plenty of people before me who went out of their way to post pictures that helped me learn, so it's kind of "returning the favor" in a small way.
    Please jump in and build along with me.

Brett-
    Thanks for checking in. I'm working on the walls with the peeling paint and I'm not totally happy with 'em, but I made better progress tonight and I'll get pics up in the next few days. On another note, the instructions and plans are straight forward and easy to follow...just what I expected from YOU!
  • edited July 2011
    Okay...here's how I added the legs on the platform. First, I made sure the cuts were as square as possible by using a NWSL Chopper. I cut only halfway through the stripwood, then rotated it 180 degrees and cut through the rest of the way. That helped keep the blade from drifting and shifting.
    To keep the legs square while glueing, I used a piece of 1/4" guide and added double stick tape to one side. Using a square, I lined up the guide with the joists and stuck it in place.

You can tell that I didn't use a guide on the first 2 rows:

I positioned the legs against the guide and steadied it with my index finger and angled tweezers:

See how I'm pinching the tweezers to square up the leg with the joist below?

I was using canopy glue and found that after placing 2 rows of legs, the glue had set enough to where I could remove the first guide and reposition it for the next row of legs.
    I sort of pushed down and "rolled" the guide back like this:

Yep, the middle leg in that second row stuck to the guide and got out of square, but a quick nudge and eyeball adjustment and I had it back in line. It's not 100% foolproof, but it was a big time saver for me. I glued 60 legs in an hour (including taking the pictures)...so actual work time was closer to 30 minutes.

• nice job... I have been the subject of a few evil and nasty curses over the number of legs on the platform but hey - it looks awsome!
  • Hey at 4% its looking dam good!! Thanks for the SBS on the legs.

Jerry
  • Great idea on using the larger stripwood as a guide and a great little tutorial. Thanks.
  • Thanks Jerry & Kris. I'm pretty sure that little trick can be modified and use for any sized platform. But for one like this where they're so close together, it came in real handy.
  • It's been a while since I've posted, so here comes a progress report. I began working on the walls of the Old Mill but ran into a snag: I couldn't get the white peeling paint effect to look right. The rear and side walls looked pretty good:

But the front wall wasn't looking "correct"

With some help from KP and Karl (you can see the thread in the "Working With Wood" category under "Techniques"), I went back and reworked several of the boards and got it a little better. Or at least a little more consistant with the other walls:

More tomorrow...
  • coloration looks a lot better, more subtle - once it is placed on the diorama it blends in nicely with the pond and companion mill structures.... Sometimes it is tough to evaluate a component of such a large diorama against a stark white backdrop... Is the coke sign in the rear window distracting or is that just me?
  • Thanks Brett. I seriously was contemplating doing the entire wall over. But then Karl said the same thing...once it's in context, it will make sense.

As far as the coke sign, do you think it's the color or the stark, commercial nature of it that makes it jump out? My thinking was they tried to board up 2 broken panes with whatever material was handy.
  • Bill, Great build so far I really like what you are doing.

As for the coke sign, I like the idea, the only thing I would do is weather it up a bit as If whatever was hanging around was used, chances are it would have been in a scrap pile and/or outside for awhile.
  • I just checked on the model and I can't remember what I did...looks like a little chalk on the sign and that's about it. I'll hit it with some A/I and dull it up some more.

More progress...
    Here's the Boiler House

and the drying shed

And a few shots of the structures all together:

• One more thing to share...when I built the floor for the drying shed I again used pieces of 1/4" guide wood to keep things square. The thickness of the 10x10's makes it a little tricky to align the 4x8's with the template below. I held the 10x10's to the waxpaper with double sided tape and squared them up with stripwood guides. Then, I used the butt end of 2 other pieces of guide wood to locate the exact placement of the 4x8's:

Then, it's just a matter of sliding the 2 guide pieces to the next lines, lay down some drops of glue and tuck the 4x8 against the butt end of the guides:

This worked pretty good...better than trying to "eyeball" it with the lines below. To lay the decking, I used popsicle sticks to elevate the guides a little. That made them just tall enough so that the decking could butt right up to them:

And here's the finished shed floor:

• This weekend I got the log pond laid out and the dam built. Pretty straight forward...

Then it was on to the Old Mill Dock and the Flat Car table. Not difficult to build...just more to it than meets the eye. I tried to make the wood look sun-bleached and fairly beat up. The manual even makes reference to a "run away log" taking out one of the timbers on the side of the flat car table.

Here's the view from the back looking out of the mill:

...and in position on the pond:

Time for a break!!!
  • flat car table looks great...
  • I really like your windows.
    Congratulations on your excellent modeling.
  • Thanks Brett. I've got the ramp and deck done, but didn't have time to take any pictures yet.
    Alan--thanks for the kind words. The windows are dull coated on both sides and on some I gave them a dusting of brown chalk (usually on the lower levels where it seemed like there was more dust flying around. Some of the darker panels are pieces of rusted corrugated aluminum. (a little hard to tell from this picture):
  • edited July 2011
    The Flat Car Ramp has probably been the most challenging part of the build so far. The legs all need to be cut at an angle and to the correct length to match the depth of the pond. Gluing them in place was also a little tricky because of how the ramp needs to stand on edge and a square won't help line the legs up. One thing that was helpful from Mike E's build (runner) was to make a mirror image of the ramp template. After the legs for the first side were glued, you flip it over and line it up on the mirror image template to do the legs for the opposite side.

Next up was the Dry Rollway. The huge logs would get dumped off the flat car and onto this structure. Obviously, it would take a lot of abuse. To model that, I heavily grained/distressed the 16x16 timbers and rather than just round off the corners, I beat 'em good! I tried to crush them in a way that would compact the grain of the timbers--much like it would look if a huge tree fell on it. I banged up the corners with the edge of a hammer and polished up the wood with steel wool. In some spots, I gouged the timbers with the handle of an exacto knife. This left a good sized dent and a cool looking black scuff mark (not sure if it's from the steel wool particles getting rubbed by the aluminum knife handle, or what).

For the legs, I wanted to simulate the water-logged look you sometimes see on boat piers. After giving them a deep scribing with an awl and attaching them to bottom, I flipped the whole thing over and dripped A/I onto the bottoms of the legs. Then dabbed on a paste of black chalk and alcohol:

Once again I dripped on more A/I so that the black chalk would "wick" up the legs. I learned that you don't want the let chalk and alcohol paste dry at all or it leaves a straight line (in the time it took to take the picture above, enough alcohol evaporated leaving an unnatural black line). Fortunately, it'll be hidden by the pond water. Anyway, here's what it looks like all together:

The dock for the log pond came next:

And here's how all this "stuff" looks on the dio:

And that's a wrap! What am I up to...8%? 10%? There's only about 80 more pages!!
  • I my humble opinion you are progressing quite nicely on your build - I would suggest you not sweat the things that are not going to be seen, like the legs under something - that stuff disappears later when you assemble the thing - just a hint. . .
  • Fantastic work on the weathering and the distressing of the timbers, I also really REALLY like that colouration you are achieving throughout.

Keep sweating the 'unseen' things, thats what makes the difference between a 'good' model and a 'great' one.
    You may think that it will end up unseen.... but, someone, some where will get that camera angle that shows it...... and even if they dont, sometimes the supposedly unseen is what adds that little bit extra depth to a model, even in the subconcious.

On a project such as this, cutting a few corners to save a little time is not worth it due to the detrimental effect on the whole.

You're really making rapid and impressive progress on this kit, kinda inspirtional to follow along with.

Karl.A

(When I grow up I wanna build a sawmill)