visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Twin Mills

Comments

• WOW Bill

The pace that you are building at is fantastic mate. And the quality is top notch too.

Always a pleasure to come back and admire your work.
  • Karl may have mis-read my note - I did not suggest you disregard them, just keep the whole thing in perspective - as you are doing. Hope you understand me.
  • Guys-
    Thanks for all the responses and encouragement.
    When it comes to details, I sometimes don't know when to stop. I'll look at my work and think, "it's good from far, but far from good."
    In the case of the legs on the rollway, my intent was to see if I could get this type of look:

It seemed like a good place to experiment since a lot of it will be hidden. I probably could have gotten the same effect with repeated coats of A/I.

Next up...back to the fun stuff: The Dynamite shack!

• Bill- You are getting closer to joining a relatively exclusive club- those who have built 'Twin Mills' and lived to tell the tale. A really nice job on all of the elements so far!

Mike Engler
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks Mike! "Lived to tell" is the key phrase there. I'm working on the Dynamite shack and saw that there are still some bags that I haven't even opened yet! All in all it's been a fun, challenging project. I've looked back at the thread of yours' and Elliott's build many times and have borrowed a few ideas from each of you.

Good to see you here on the forum. I was in Dubuque for the Thousand Lakes NMRA convention and was hoping to meet you. Maybe nex time...
    Bill
  • Here's the little dynamite shack. It's a lot more to it than I expected. I'm not wild about how the roof turned out--I don't think I blended the colors together enough. I also tried adding some texture to the shingles with an exacto, but that revealed the orange-ish paper material in some spots. Looks like I'm in for a re-roof! The 2 support posts haven't been added and the shack hasn't been glued to the platform yet--I'll do that after I get the door installed.

• Everything really looks good Bill, the platform colour, wall colour and texture looks fantastic. the boards across the window are superb, everything looks great... except for the roof, which is crap, definately a 'do-over' is needed up there.

Karl.A
  • yep... gotta agree with Karl... try indivudual shingles ole buddy!
  • Hi all. I've had completed the boat and dynamite shack in late April and wondered if my shingles were up to snuff. I painted with the suggested colors but left the orange color rather than cover it up. Your thoughts...?

Thanks, Ted imageimage
  • I suspect wood shingles rust only rarely. There are some mosses that take on an orange coloration but definitely not to this degree.
  • yep... agree with mike - too much variation and orange. try evening the color out with some light drybrushing of brown/tan/grey or individual shingles...
  • I re-did the roof using individual shingles cut from sheets of cedar. They are colored using raw umber and gold ochre chalks and alcohol. Then dry brushed with flat flesh and a couple shades of gray. Here's the new & improved, less "crap-tacular" roof 2.0!

• edited August 2011
    Wow ! Yeah ! Awesome !

ummmm, I actually meant to say...
    "OK now they look quite 'nice'..."

Perfect job!

Karl.A
    JM

(jealous minion)
  • there ya go....
  • edited August 2011
    It was a chore, but worth the effort, I think. Gonna try the same look on the next building. Thanks, dude!

SUK minion
    (student under Karl) minion
  • Nice save Bill. Looks so much better.
  • I think you made a wise decision in the roof re-do. The shack looks really, really good now and better fits with the overall 'feeling' you are creating... IMO.

Great work and please, keep it coming on all of the 'enhancement' and building techniques you are using. They will come in handy for those of us who are going to be following in your footsteps.
  • Thanks Guys, glad you agree.
    KP--I was working on something tonight that you may want to try when you get to the boathouse. I wanted to create the look of rotten, mildew and mold covered wood at the bottoms of the walls. It's a boathouse and there'd probably be water in that area all the time. Here's what I came up with:

Hopefully, you can see the greenish colors at the very bottom. The first thing I did was hit the bottom with a few coats of light dilution A/I and let it dry. That gave me a dark base color. Then added a slurry of alcohol and different chalks (working pretty much in order of darkest to lightest) raw umber, olive green and some Bragdon "green sludge"--that's the sea foam color. There's also a touch of some yellow ochre, too. After dabbing on the paste of chalk, I touched it with a little more A/I and let it wick higher up the boards. I just played around like that and built up the colors-- almost like you would when you rust up a barrel or tank.

I'm heading out of town for the next week, but I'll be checking in to see what you think.
  • i like the look,I'm doing much the same on my tractor repair shed ,being as it is in the very wet climate of vancouver island. what I'm using is Dr Bens pond scum on mine.
  • Bill

I think youve done it perfectly. The whole look of that wall is fantastic. Thanks for explaining your method.
  • looks good - subtle enough to be convincing.... did you add the rotting/mildew on the inside of the boards as well?
  • *gulp* I, er, umm....
    Crap! No, I didn't but I will now. It's a really open structure so that makes sense.

Actually...that was a test to who would spot it first! Congratulations to young Brett from Plano, TX, our winner this morning!!!
  • edited August 2011
    Looks great Bill, the green mildew is a nice touch I've seen only rarely... ;~) .... but it really makes a difference and you generally kept it subtle enough that its realistic and very effective.

Karl.A
  • Bill

Great effect with the green mildew. It's looking better with each post.

Glad to hear Brett won something, he is so fragile!!!

Jerry
  • edited August 2011
    For the roof on the Boathouse, I stuck with cedar shingles but I wanted it to look a little more worse for wear than the Dynamite shack. So, I planned for a couple areas where the wood was going to peak through because shingles had fallen off. I carved out the cardstock in 2 squares to a depth that would hold some weathered 2x8's flush.

The rest of the carboard was painted Roof Brown so I could leave a few bigger gaps in between the cedar shakes.

I wasn't happy with the way my ridgecap turned out on the Dynamite shack, so on the Boathouse I assembled the cap on the glass to get a nice straight line:

After the glue dried, I scored a centerline, clamped it down with some guidewood and bent the shingles over gently to give them a curve:

Then, I glued and clamped the cap on one side, waited for the glue to dry and repeated the process on the other side.

• edited August 2011
    To stain/weather the roof I again used only chalk and alcohol but more colors this time. I made no attempt to apply them evenly. Instead I just worked in a bunch of earthy tones going from darkest to lightest.

If you're interested, I used raw umber 408.5 & 408.7, a little gold ochre 231.3 and a couple spots of burnt umber 409.5, yellow ochre 227.5 and a little gray 704.7. Blend it with a little alcohol and here's how it turned out:

Oh yeah...I also drybrushed the shingles with some Reefer Gray, Aged Concrete and a light gray craft paint. That helped blend eveything a little more and make it look a little less dusty.

I finished the dock today, but nothing is attached yet. The deck boards still need to be gray-ed up to match the decay/mildew at the base of the structure.

• very, very nice....
  • Your roof turned out really nice.

I also wanted to comment on the moss around the base of the building and the subtle moss on some of the boards higher up on the structure. I'm not sure which catches my eye more, the roof or moss. Overall, outstanding.

• I can smell the fish from here. Well done !!!!
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks guys! Before we leave the boathouse, take a look at this (it has nothing to do with modeling...just boating):

Now, comes the sawdust conveyor. It's a fragile little structure, but very cool looking. You construct 9 bents, chute rails, floor and side walls. I used the template and 2 sided tape to line up the bents

Then attached the chute rails and started the bracing

The floor and sides were next followed by the belt and wall bracing. The converyor belt is made from strips of Tyvek (the moisture barrier matierial they wrap the exterior of houses with). When painted with thinned down Floquil Roof Brown, it really does look like leather. The roller at the top is a piece of rust colored styrene rod with 2 small pieces of brass wire. Did I mention small and fragile? That last little bent is crooked, but will be burried by sawdust.