visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Twin Mills

Comments

• Mitch, this is really looking good. Phil
  • Continues to look good, Mitch.
    Im having flash backs to 2011!
  • Mitch
    Well my friend you are doing a outstanding job.
    Carl
  • Not only are you getting a ton of work done, you're maintaining quality of the build which is so important on a large project such as this. Well done.
  • Phil, Bill and Carl great to hear from all of you. Thank you for the encouragement. Ken, just getting started with this one. I just completed the old mill dock, flat car ramp and dock. Trying to decide on final finishing. Pictures soon.
  • With an old mill and a newer mill side by side I felt the old mills wood around the water should be more weathered than the new mill. If they were identical it just would not seem right. I used a moss looking green on the weathered boards because there would be so much moisture constantly being added from the wet logs coming out of the pond that it would be inevitable.

IMG_20170215_221320116 (640x360) title=

IMG_20170215_221330235 (640x360)

IMG_20170215_221402347 (640x360)

IMG_20170215_221435629 (640x360)

IMG_20170215_221442781 (640x360)

The components are sitting on a piece of glass on the layout behind me where I work. Its not the best setting for the pictures but the train will not be racing up the ramp into the sawmill as the second picture might indicate.
  • Wow Mitch, looking fantastic. Great weathering! Timbers are well worn and very convincing...
  • I really like the green. It adds a real sense of moisture and age. What did you use to achieve the effect?
  • Mitch, great idea on the moss or algae coloring of the wood. Very convincing. Phil
  • Man, you're moving fast. Do you sleep?
  • Marvelous progress Mitch...and well thought out regarding the weathering of the two mills. Well hands down everyone likes your scummy green algae! Nicely done Mitch.
  • Great start Mitch! :)
    I like the weathering you've done so far...
  • I was leary about the green moss on the timbers. What would others think but I pressed ahead anyway. I could always scrape it off. The green color is Sennelier pastel 652 cinnabar green. It is just dusted on not sealed with alcohol. I used it around the water on my shipyard build.

The other effect I would like to add is standing water on the timbers from the water dripping off the logs out of the log pond. I assume I would use acrylic gloss medium. At the same time I do not remember anyone else doing this. Is this something that can't be pulled off convincingly?

Thank you Brett, Joel, Phil, Ken, Ed and Nejc for your encouragement.

Alan, I work full time and my wife expects to see me more than once and a while. I generally only work on weekends, about 4-5 hours total. It seems to me that I should have a lot more accomplished than I have. One thing that has made a difference however is using the ink to stain all the wood ahead of time.
  • That moss look is spot on Mitch.

A touch lots of modellers including myself often overlook.
  • Hey Mitch!
    Great job. This is coming along nicely. I really like the green chalk on pictures above. This color is very natural and complements the age of the building extremely well.
    Looking forward to more updates.
    Jim
  • Its been months since I have worked on this project. I am back at it and will be posting some small progress. Here is the dynamite shack.

IMG_0007 (640x480)

IMG_0006 (640x480)

IMG_0005 (640x480) (2)
  • edited May 2017
    I haven't seen this thread before Mitch, but I definitly intend to read back through this thread to catch up on your work.
    Progress is progress, and even small progress is great to see, we all know about that.
    The shack is looking great and I look forward to seeing how it developes.

Karl.A
  • More progress. Check off the boat house.
    IMG_0001 (640x480)

IMG_0002 (640x480)

IMG_0004 (640x480)

IMG_0006 (640x480)

IMG_0008 (640x480)

IMG_0010 (640x480)

IMG_0016 (640x480)

On to the sawdust shed.
  • man..... I just typed out three paragraphs and lost it all....
    it was all good and complimentary.... I have to muster up energy to type it all again....
    Sheesh
  • That looks great Mitch, I noticed the darker bottoms to the walls showing retained moisture and added aging, I really like how its subtly done and yet noticeable, something that can easily be over done but I think you got it just right.

The board variations in the boat house walls are really nice, all blend together but great vaiations. In that same thought the difference between the two structures is also noticeable (in a good way) the smaller one seems greyer but they fit together well, no contrast, more compliment.

The bracing on the supports looks just right to me, diagonal enough to add lateral strength, not uniform so adds interest and a 'slightly' random look without going too far and getting cartoony, just the right combination.

Overall, very nicely done.

Karl.A

You may not be finished yet, but one 'minor' suggestion if you want it...
  • Karl I am glad you went through the extra effort and retyped your positive comments. As I have stated before I appreciate everyone's feedback because it confirms what I have done is okay. If it is not usually people are kind so they say nothing.
    If you have any suggestions for improvement I welcome them.
  • edited June 2017
    You may not have finished work on the decking but.....
    The decking would blend nicely to my eye if it echoed the walls. What I mean is, where the walls meet the deck (your first four pics) if the deck was darker at the join and faded outwards, just as the walls fade upwards it creates realism.
    If the walls show evidence of trapped water in that corner where they meet the deck, so would the deck,
    Moisture trapped there would wick out as well as up, currently there is a harsh ( not really harsh but... definite) line where the nicely weathered wall meets the clean deck.

Blending the deck will make a much more effective and realistic look, Its often over looked but something I always used to do for a seamless transition.

If the structure/s aren't glued down yet, it should be easy to try in a hidden area, if they are glued, go carefully where it wont be seen to try it out.

They both look great, but, just one more small step you could try to take it a little further.

as I say, try a 'hidden' area first, or even a mocked up piece of dock.

Keep up with the good work and the posts, I'm enjoying them a lot.

Karl.A
  • Karl, I agree with your suggestion. I think I can add the effect without too much trouble. When I try and it works, fingers crossed, I will post more pictures. Thank you.
  • Great work Mitch, Karl has critiqued things well as usual. Nice progress.
  • Thanks Ken.
    I tried to employ Karl's suggestion bout extending the water stain onto the platforms under the walls. Here is what I have.
    IMG_0002 (640x480)
    IMG_0003 (640x480)
    IMG_0004 (640x480)
    IMG_0005 (640x480)

The sawdust shed is not much to look at so I am skipping that picture. I did take pictures of the sawdust conveyer that starts in the sawdust shed.

IMG_0008 (640x480)
    IMG_0011 (640x480)
    IMG_0013 (640x480)
    IMG_0015 (640x480)
  • Looking great Mitch...love the sawdust conveyor. Deck weathering might need to be a bit darker and less uniform to my eye? Of course I'm always in favor of grungy...to a fault I guess!
  • yeah doc grunge has spoken! Looks great Mitch!
  • edited July 2017
    Conveyor looks great, as you can imagine I LOVE those intricate looking structures, the finished pictures look so complicated and fragile, looks great.

As Ken says the deck staining could maybe do with being a little darker, his keen eye.

It definitely looks much much better, no more harsh contrast between wall and deck, but, as Ken notes, a few shades darker would be great, but, if not, then it looks better as is.

Enjoying the updates.
    Karl.A
  • Thanks for sharing Mitch...looks Great! Nice job on those Windows.
  • Thanks for all your comments.

In my mind the boards that run away from the wall would have more water stain that would show up more like the corner of pictures 2 & 3. The boards that run parallel to the walls would only stain the board closest to the wall. The stain would not extend to the next board. Maybe I am over thinking this. Since you all seem to agree the stain should show up more I will contemplate a little more before I add to the stain.
    I appreciate all your suggestions and comments. Makes me feel better about what I am doing.