visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SWSM Loco and Service Shops

13»

Comments

• Ken,

Congratulations on winning the Best in Show at the Fine Scale Expo. Very well deserved. I envy your talent and the details in the models you build. Very well done.

Steve
  • edited April 2016
    Congrats Kenny on winning the Ms America Pageant.....I mean the Best in Show for 2016 Finescale Expo!

Alan
  • Ken, as I told you at the EXPO, everyone was talking about your loco shop. I enjoyed your pictures on the forum, but seeing it in person was so much better. Congratulations on a job done well. Phil
  • Outstanding model and a well deserved award, Ken!
  • Wow, what a well deserved honor. I am proud of you brother.... Congratulations.
  • Ken,

Congratulations on your well deserved win and another SWSM kit build in the diorama winners' circle! Having had the privilege of seeing your masterpiece in person at EXPO 2016 it is my option that even although the many photos are very nice they do not do it full justice.
  • I'm overwhelmed by your support and comments. Thanks so much and although I'd normally respond to each and every comment I am copying my response from the thread under "News and Ramblings" as I feel it bears repeating here....

Whew! Made it back from Boston and still reeling from the results! What an honor to be in the company of such great modelers and wonderful people. I am humbled by all the positive comments and the camaraderie demonstrated here on the SWSM forum. I usually address each and every response individually but for now a blanket..."you all are the best and make the hobby so rewarding"...will have to suffice for now! Meeting the forum members, new and old, at the show was a high point for sure. Great company, wonderful conversation, and lasting memories. So many great builds with SierraWest Scale Models generously represented as usual. So proud to be in the company of you guys and a sincere congratulations to Phil, Bill, and Dustin for your SWSM awards and to everyone who displayed at the show...great stuff.

Now...a special thank you is in order...Brett, I would like to thank you for your dedication and vision in where you've taken SierraWest Scale Models. To be not only a designer and manufacturer of the finest scale model kits available, but a teacher, resource, and friend is truly a measure of unparalleled success. Congratulations on another outstanding showing for SWSM and I thank you for the motivation and tutelage to take my Loco and Service Shops build to a successful conclusion.

Also a special note to Karl Allison, who I hold in the highest esteem. For your helpful comments and suggestions and for taking me to task when I either did or was about to screw something up on this build. Your encouragement and advise is priceless and you have that uncanny ability to know just what to do. Your work is brilliant and an example of what we all aspire to achieve...thanks buddy.

Thanks to Jaime Zepeda for the wonderful image of the Loco and Service Shops. Superb photography as we have all come to expect!

Note: I will be posting final pictures of the Loco Shop in the near future.
  • Thanks for the posting Marty, I commented further regarding our chats together in another thread you will see...

Well thanks Steve, that was a very kind thing to say. So nice to have the support of fellow modelers such as yourself.

Alan, is my slip showing? Thanks buddy...

Thanks much Phil. So nice seeing and talking with you at the EXPO. Your enthusiasm and skill is so much appreciated here, we all look forward to your camaraderie.

Bill, you know how I feel about you and your modeling, no I'm not asking for a date! Your a good guy and so good for this hobby...thanks so much.

BrianM, really appreciate that. Where were you the whole show? Would have enjoyed talking with you. Thanks again.

Ken
  • Such a deserving award for such a fantastic model. Ken you really hit it out of the park with this one. Truly inspirational.
  • edited September 2016
    Final pictures of the Loco and Service Shops diorama are being posted under finished builds...

Appreciate that Dustin and it was great seeing you at the EXPO. Can't wait to see you Deer Creek Mine build finished up...Ken
  • edited September 2016
    OK Jerry...now this is not for the faint of heart! This is HOn3 so small stuff here.

PC280049

This is a shot of the rail weathered and glued to the ties. I made the mistake of glueing down the rail before putting in the road bed, but it worked out Ok just a bit more work cleaning the rail. This stage I added the rail joiners. These are non-conductive and just for show. They are made from styrene strip cut to length and then NBWs alternating as is prototypical. I then glued them to the rail at each joint on both side as shown.

PC280051

P1020011

For the simulated rail spikes I took some solder and rolled it under a paint brush handle to take it off round. I then cut small disks from the ends with a razor blade, blackened, weathered and glued each one on in the appropriate spot. The following two pictures show the final result after the track bed was added.

P1170011

P1170012
  • wait, what? it's a winner and we didn't get to see any pics? please post some pics of the final product. i've got my drool cups on.....
  • That's some fine trackwork Ken. I was very impressed with the diorama when I saw it at the Expo. I think the details are easier to pick out in photos, so many small things I didn't see in person.

-Steve
  • Thanks Steve. Yea, lots of little scenes throughout that's for sure. Only issue with the track work is that I'm now committed to that kind of detail on all my future track...O'Neills track was done the same way as you know.
  • Ken
    Great job there young man, I am going to build the kit also so keep the info coming.

Carl
  • Hi Carl, great hearing from you and appreciate that. That's great Carl, make sure you post your build here as I would really enjoy seeing what you do with it, it's a fabulous kit for sure.

A bit of history on that build; I was doing a build thread and towards the end, due to a computer issue, the thread was lost. I recreated some of the final pics and would be happy to discuss and/or post any previous areas of the build. The final pictures of my Loco and Service Shops Diorama is located under the Finished SW Build Pics here...Ken
  • edited September 2016
    Carl, meant to say that I remember meeting you at the EXPO in 2014 I believe. As a relatively fledging modeler, meeting someone such as yourself was a real thrill. I was also lusting after your wonderful SWSM Freight House Diorama you had at the table there. Fairly sure it was your build but I could be wrong there. Anyway, hearing from you here is much the same for me as then!...thanks again...Ken
  • Good Morning Ken
    The Freight House did belong to me and I gave it away to a friend who sadly passed and I do not know what happened to it, I do have another kit so it is on the list.Looking at your other build the interior is spot on real nice work.
    Have a Great Weekend.
    Carl
  • Morning Carl, Ahh...I thought so. How nice to be able to have given that diorama to a good friend I'm sure they appreciated it very much. Your thoughts on the interior of O'Neills means so much coming from you, thanks and have a nice weekend as well...Ken