visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SWSM Loco and Service Shops

Comments

• Really nice work Ken. The fence is such a perfect addition.

I saw a tip the other day were you take a light colored chalk and brush it down the road. It really adds some depth to the lanes. It gave it that fine dirt look that you would see in the lanes of a dirt road. Almost a transition between textures.

• I think the problem you're having with the Locos is that there are few HOn3 Shay or Climax being made with DCC and sound. Plenty of the DC variety in HOn3. I don't have any wisdom on where to go to get the HOn3 Locos with DCC and sound other than hit the web and see, which you obviously have done already I would imagine.
    You might contact the Shay Fixer, if he doesn't have anything he may be able to point you in the right direction. http://www.shayfixer.com/index.htm
  • Thanks Dustin. Not done with the road yet, and that method is a good one. Chalk is good to use here as a final "layer" as it stays put fairly well without having to use thinned Elmers like you would with dirt. Roads are another one of those things that unless it's modeled well, doesn't look very good. I have more work to do on this one. Getting ready to put in a utility pole, wires and electrical connection...we'll see how that goes!...Ken
  • Coming together really well... fits so well
  • Hey Ken,
    The fence and scenery look fantastic, and oh my look at that roll of fencing. It seems to fit right at home. I really like the scenery. Very well done. Christmas was great was able to get some modeling done and over the New Year as well. Hope yours was awesome as well. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing the whole diorama done.

Jim
  • Thanks Brett, very happy with the change "we" made to the track layout on this side of the diorama. Your suggestion made things come together perfectly I think and gave me an opportunity to give the barbed wire fence a go.

Yea, you like that Jim? I was going to put it on an end post like I did on Duluth but already had things poised there. You'll see later on when I post the finished pictures. I like it where it's positioned and adds a nice "feel" to things in that area. Thanks again for the awesome suggestion. Glad you had a nice holiday and yes, mine was great. Are you ready to post some pictures of your project(s)?...Ken
  • Completed line pole to provide service to the Loco and Service Shop.
    Whittled down and detailed 12 x 12 strip wood. Final diameter around 8-10 scale inches.
    Next up is the service connection between the pole and the Loco and Service Shop.image
  • Looks great Ken, I also really like the 'insulators', what did you use for those?
    The added touch of the nut/bolt underneath the insulators takes it a step higher.

Karl.A
  • Whaaat!....Karl!...where have you been my man? The heck with the service pole...what's up with you? Really nice to hear from you...need to catch up on things...Ken
  • Karl who?
  • The word on the street was Karl had been take by Aliens...
  • Gone again....
  • Its all in the details. You sure keep one up-ing yourself.
  • That's for sure...details...details. I enjoy trying new ideas and methods on every build. The Loco and Service Shops has led to many, such as the barbed wire fence, utility pole, and many others. Thanks for the comment and hope to see more of your work soon!...Ken
  • This build thread has been invaluable. I just took delivery of this kit. I've got one in front of it to finish, so at the moment I'm just reading the over manual (which I'll probably do several times) before getting my fingers dirty. I have used some of the techniques on other projects with excellent results. Having photos and comments by another builder is a huge help. Great looking work by the way.
  • Well done Alan! This is great kit and you are going about it just right...take your time and read the manual cover to cover several times BEFORE you begin work. I'm working on the outside details now, having finished up the interior. Let me know if you have any questions and keep me/us updated on your progress...how about starting a thread on your build?...Ken
  • No pictures yet but want to keep this section active! The water tank, sand house and sand/coal storage bin, and coal bucket jib crane are done and in place. Detailing that particular scene now. Working on the shop/work car (and scene) that will be staged on a small spur track and being worked on by the service shed crew shown earlier. Next up will be to install the large oil tank and detailing that area. Also, installation of the electrical service pole and lines to the shop which I decided to add a transformer and a few other details. Then put add some parts and clutter on the south end, install the roof and well on the way to finished.
  • Great to read that you have the kit Allan, a pre read of the manual is a great choice, especially to get familiarized with the latest techniques.

You're such a tease Ken, enough with the narrative, lets see some pics..

Karl.A
  • Right you are Karl, just not right giving description..without something to prove I'm actually doing something! The Jib Crane has been temporarily removed to allow access for detailing the vicinity without knocking it over...Also, have not put in the Oil Tank to allow easy access to the front of the water tank and sand house. Detailing here is close to being done but not quite...more later...Kenimage
  • Ken you are getting there. Are going to have trails of coal from the pile and around the track? Etc?
  • Right Marty. Waiting until I put the Jib Crane in so I can get a feel for the swing of the the coal buckets for spreading out the dropped and scattered coal.
  • I guess I was away like Karl, been busy on my own model. Good to see you posting here again, Ken, the dio is looking great.
  • Thanks Tony, and I have been following your great build you've been working on with much interest. I have posted a couple of small updates here to keep the thread active as I work on the exterior of the Loco & Service Shop but not going over so well so I think I'll just wait until it's all done. Nice hearing from you Tony...Ken
  • Ken, your outside construction is as meticulous and your inside construction. Great job. Phil
  • All the little tidbits are adding up to one fantastic scene.
  • Coming along so very well Ken. Looking great so far.

Karl.A
  • Thanks much Bryan, I need to take a lesson from Alan and get some relief going in my topography!

Appreciate that Karl. I'm not going to post anymore updates until the thing is finished. Should be wrapping things up before long...Ken
  • Congratulations to Ken for winning Best in Show at the 2016 Finescale Expo.
  • edited April 2016
    Congratulations Ken. Such a well deserved win. You have done some outstanding work and so great to see it recognized as such.
    Well done.

Karl.A