visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SWSM Loco and Service Shops

edited February 2016 in HO Scale Builds
Due to an issue with my thread on the Loco Shop, I'm re-posting just a few images of the finished interior of my build to re-establish the build thread. I'm also posting a better picture of my first mock up of a barbed wire fence that will be part of the Loco and Service Shops diorama...If anyone would like to see a previous picture, I can re-post...Kenimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• My oh my. You are certainly doing things in HO that most of us can't do in larger scales. I particularly like photo 2 with the workbenches having individual tools, and the power conduit on the wall. Photos 4 & 5 have incredible realism with nothing distracting attention away from the detail inside the shop. The barbed wire sure turned out nice.

It appears that you are going for an ultra-realism with your models, and your skills allow you to do so. With that in mind I will pic 2 nits. In photo 2, the belt on the lathe looks loose. In photo 8, the door handles look a bit wide, maybe 4". I had to look hard to find these by the way.
  • Bryan, appreciate that and you have a good critical eye. The scale on the sliding door handles are a bit generous and your calculation of about a scale 4 inches is spot on. I should have made those maybe half as wide to a scale 2 inches or less. May modify as it would be simple to do as they are just made from copy paper.

The belt issue is a function of the image angle I suspect after looking at the actual thing again. I have attached another image from a different angle and the belt looks tight here...I think? Does it look better to you? Also look at image 4,5 and 8 of the belt in question and there it appears better as well...I think!...:)Kenimage
  • Well Ken-
    This is simply spectacular! So much to take in and all of it "fits" perfectly. You get the sense that the crew left everything as it lay and are about to return and resume their work at any moment.
    I'm anxiously awaiting a s-b-s on your fence. Looks very promising!

Just a suggestion...take the largest make-up brush you can find (a real big one with tons of soft bristles) and run it over the area near the office. There are some stray gains of sand on the wall and on some of the floor boards that kinda stand out.
    So yeah...too many out of scale specks of sand!! That's about all I can offer in the way of improvements.
    Stunning work! This is modeling at the absolute finest level!

Love it!
    Bill
  • Ken, I still drool when I look at the work you have crafted here. Can't wait to see the diorama build up and how you plan to do that. As for the barbed wire, not a bad idea/implementation and would look good from the diorama viewers standpoint.
  • Ken,

I like the barbed wire. It looks realistic to me. Again, your attention to detail really sets the standard for all of us. Are you going to the Fine Scale meeting in the Spring? If so, I would love to sit down with you and go over a few of your techniques. I always love to learn from the Masters and you are one of them. Phil
  • Bill my friend!...nice to hear from you. Yea, I have been routinely "sweeping" out the Loco Shop as I continue the detail the exterior. Those images were taken outdoors and there was some breeze and I had a small brush that I would wet and remove offensive crap that got inside. those grains were tough to see during the photo op. Will for sure do a final cleaning up of the place when done. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement and it means allot to me as you know. The fence technique has promise as I think once the thing is in place and weeds, bushes, trees, etc. are placed along the fence row it will look good. It will not however, stand up to close-up photography but I'm not so sure that's a big issue. I'm continuing to experiment with some other ideas but will likely get this one on the diorama and see how it looks.

Hey Marty...Mr. video extraordinaire! Thanks much for your critique and your thoughts on the barbed wire (see comments to Bill). I like your comment "would look good from the diorama viewers standpoint". That's exactly what I'm thinking, great from a viewers eye, plausible from a critical eye, and geesh Ken! from a close-up photo shot:)

Well Phil...yes I am. I have reserved a room for the EXPO and will be arriving Wednesday evening. Would enjoy a sit down for sure and to "bench race" as I like to call it. We should get a SWSM builders group "meeting" together at the show. Lets mull that over as I know Bill is coming as well. Also, thanks very much for your thoughts there Phil, very kind for sure.
  • Ken,

I'll be arriving on Wednesday night as well. I definitely have some time on Thursday. Also, I'm signed up for quite a few workshops. Phil
  • Sounds fine Phil. Lets see who all is going and then maybe we can get a "meeting" together Thursday or Friday evening...Ken
  • Hey Ken,

The pictures are an absolute joy to look at. The details are just fantastic. I have been looking at them since you posted and keep picking out more and more details. I agree with others that your build reminds me of some the pictures of Chuck Doan's work I have seen online.

I think your barb wire fence is fantastic. Really great job. Keep the great work coming. The barbs look the right size. This will be interesting design element. I thought the fence on Duluth's was really creative.

Do you know if a HO sized climax/shay locomotive will fit inside the doors of the building? I have been wanting to ask you about that since I have yet to buy this kit and haven't called Brett about this. I am still fluxing about HOn3 vs a combination of HO/HOn3 or just HO. The Blackstone locomotives are really awesome. I thought it was interesting that in the narrow gauge gazette back in the late 90s there were some ads for a line of locomotives Brett had sold back some time ago.

By the way your enthusiasm for the forum is awesome. So many positive comments and great ideas! This level of enthusiasm really motivates builders and those following along to continue building, getting out and building,and wanting to do their best work!!!

You are right about taking your time building. Rushing makes you repeat building processes over. Yeah the roof on Duluth got done again! Its supposed to be fun anyway and rushing is too much like working. Hopefully, I'll post some pictures some day ( I know its my usual excuse). It would be fun to bring a build to a show for a looksee at some time. Maybe down the road. Right now keep on rolling on the build it is going to be a beautiful model. The best work yet from you! ( I bet a winner in a competition as well).

Jim
  • edited December 2015
    Well hi Jim, always a pleasure to hear from you! I certainly appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I am trying to get the best possible detailing out of 1:87 scale I can, and it sure makes the effort worth while hearing from fellow modelers who appreciate it such as you. Chuck's work of course is not of this world and is a wonderful standard to attempt to emulate.

With each build I do, I like to try new techniques and methods. The fence made from drywall tape on Duluth is just such a technique which I had not seen or heard of before. The barbed wire fence is also a challenge as I haven't seen 1:87 barbed wire done well before either. It should look good once the landscaping around it is completed. Brett and I discussed the Loco Shop and he suggested a fence for a portion of the diorama and I decided to forge ahead with barbed wire. More on that later.

Modeling seems a solitary endeavor most of the time. The forum here bridges that gap and allows those with like interest to get together and exchange ideas, thoughts, methods, whatever...You and I are a good example...I consider you, and many here, as good a friend as any and I haven't even met you yet! So don't be a stranger and keep up the posting. You mentioned "wanting to do their best work"...I love that! That's what this camaraderie is all about and this forum and Brett's wonderful kits combine to spawn all our best work...

Can't wait to see your work on Duluth...we discussed the roof on Duluth before and glad to hear the second go might be the one...Don't fret about not posting pictures, your posts have been most enjoyable and just let us know occasionally that your working least we get the notion you're loafing!:)

Regarding your inquiry on whether or not a shay or climax loco would fit...absolutely and very nicely I might add. I have posted a quick picture of a Heisler Loco backing into my loco shop. I personally like HOn3 as narrow gauge just looks perfect with Brett's line of kits and oozes that backwoods logging/mining charm. The narrow gauge, light rail, just looks right. What's this about a line of Locos Brett sold??

Take care Jim and keep in touch. I'll be keeping you updated on the Loco Shop...Ken
  • edited December 2015
    So far as I recall Brett only produced one loco, an HOn3 Porter. If this works, I've attached a scanned (unfortunately not perfectly) an image of the engine from his 2008 limited edition book of photos (which, BTW, is worth hunting for if you can find one somewhere).image
  • Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the cool picture. I saw the loco I mentioned to Ken in gazette 50 year collection dvd and saw Brett sell one about 1-2 years ago on eBay but hadn't found any pictures yet like the one you posted. Really cool.

I wish he would come out with some new cars and his old ones again since I missed buying them. Allen did an absolute beautiful build on the backwoods work train.

Hey Ken,
    Thanks for the post and just what I wanted to see with the loco in the shop. Who made the loco buy the way? It is very nice and really compliments the shop!

Jim
  • Hey Jim...Thanks for the Shout Out!

Alan
  • edited December 2015
    No problem Jim. The Loco is a United Scale Models from Japan. Yea, it does get the backwoods logging image going sitting there in the Loco Shop doesn't it! Maybe I should include it in the finished diorama...hmm...
  • Stunning work Ken

If all that the master Bill could find is a couple of stray grains of sand, I think you doing something right. Love your work bud.
  • Yea Bill's OCD...I put that kind of stuff there just to drive him crazy!

Thanks much Wes. Outside is coming along. Lots and lots of details....Ken
  • Finished the section of barbed wire fence on my Loco and Service Shops Diorama. Outside pictures later as these were taken indoors and the colors are ehh...Kenimageimage
  • edited December 2015
    Hey Ken,

Did I miss it...what gauge wire did you use, what glue drops did you use for the barbs and did you do anything special to get the paint to stick to the wire?

Thanks!
    Alan

PS...Fence looks great!
  • Thanks for responding Alan, appreciate your thoughts on the fence as it hasn't been modeled effectively very often in 1:87 scale. I am in the process of adding the weeds, old growth, etc. along the fence line which should really blend the fence in well. Wanted to get a few shots before hand to illustrate how the fence looks by itself. The wire is EZ Line fine black with small dabs of regular Elmers glue to simulate the barbs. I then spray painted the wire brown and added rust chalk.
  • edited December 2015
    Simply Awesome! The fence is well done and very believable as a barb wire fence. What might be cool is to add one of Bretts metal wire role castings over one of the posts. Just a thought. I see your microscope in the background for all this fine work you do. Very Cool.

Jim
  • Hi Jim, thanks for your take on the fence. I am now in the process of landscaping the road and the fence line. Makes a big difference getting the fence blended into the surrounding diorama. You suggestion of the wire fence roll over a fence post is going to be implemented and I'll post pictures of the finished area soon. Trust you had a greater holiday...Ken
  • OK Jim...here are some sneak previews of the barbed wire fence line with your roll of wire hanging from a post. Appreciate the suggestion, and I was going to put it on an end post as I think that looks better, but I had already placed a few things on each end post and the wire would be too much...I think...I can still move it if I change my mind.imageimage
  • Ken, excellent!
  • Hey Ken,

Fence looks good. Couple of questions:

1 - Are those just super trees you are using?

2 - Did you get the email I sent you about DCC - HON3 Engines. Looking to swap over to that scale but I cant seem to find DCC logging engines in that scale...

Thanks!
    Alan
  • Thanks Marty!

Alan, the trees were made with armatures from shrubs outside my house (yews I think) and the foliage branches are from SuperTrees. The SuperTree armatures to me are too skinny to look like real trees so I use my own.

I think the problem you're having with the Locos is that there are few HOn3 Shay or Climax being made with DCC and sound. Plenty of the DC variety in HOn3. I don't have any wisdom on where to go to get the HOn3 Locos with DCC and sound other than hit the web and see, which you obviously have done already I would imagine.
  • Stunning work Ken

If all that the master Bill could find is a couple of stray grains of sand, I think you doing something right. Love your work bud.
  • Very nice fence line. Nothing more to add or take away. But if you have a street sign laying around (stop, RR x-ing, etc), then a rusted one leaning up against one of the poles might look interesting.
  • Hey Wes, thanks for checking in and appreciate the comments. Just a small snip-it of a picture to give Jim a look see at his suggestion of the roll of wire on a fence post. Will of course post full view images when its completed. Geesh...lots to do yet!

Bryan, thanks and your thoughts on the sign is perfect. I actually have a couple of signs, both "No Trespassing" type at either end of the access road. One attached to the end post of the fence and another on a post stuck in the ground near the road. A rusty discarded sign would look good as well....thanks. Ken