visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Cleveland NMRA Convention Contest entry

13»

Comments

• There is sufficient detail to keep an observer looking on indefinitely . . .
  • I know I'm taking a different tack here but I am really enjoying your use of LP throughout the dio. You've done what I feel is an exceptional job of making the whole thing look like its alive and hard at work. LP in HO can be cartoonish because of the size issue but your positioning and selection gets past that (at least to me). This is definitely not a ghost town!
  • Hi Wes; I have lots of photos of my layout that has been in the making for the past 10 years but not in a documented format. Just to busy building it and the structures. Will get around to it some day. I have a 10 min video of the layout I show prior to the clinics I do at conventions.

Hi JohnM. I'm glad you are enjoying the detail, it sure is fun working on it. Now I can focus in on some real fine detail of the detail.

Hi again MikeM. It takes me considerable time to find the right LP and then create a scene and story with them. I feel that I need about 1.5X as many on the dio. What do you think? OK or should there be more?

Thanks for your comments and thoughts

Dave

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • My impression of your use of LP is that you're pretty much spot on and this is a difficult art in and of itself. You have enough to make it look like a living workplace but not so many that they wind up tripping over each other. This is obviously a subjective judgment but to me you're using them as you might a spice; you need to be careful to quit before you mess up the dish! If you have half again as many stories that need telling I'm sure you'll do magic with them too but I'm delighted at what I see now.
  • Hi Mike; Thanks for your comment; I'll tread carefully. I do have a couple more scenes that I wanted to do. There is a spot that I want to have a couple workers fixing some rail. The partner of the army guy will show up at the station etc but nothing major. I only have a couple more sets of photos so here is one for comments and ideas.
    How do I get a profile photo inserted?
    Thanks

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Dave, you are amazing. I love the man painting the wall !!!
  • Hi John; That painter has been working on several of my structures over the past few years. The new replacement boards needed some paint so management said to do the whole loco shop as it had been many years since it had seen any paint. He and the scaffolding he's on is one of my favorites. Thanks for picking him out. I only have one more set after these. I hope all are getting ideas from these photos and will post what they see that I can work on.

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Dave. Yet another awesome series of pictures. WOW
  • Thanks Wes, I'm really glad you are enjoying them. Her is the last set until I get the lights installed and do some night shots. With fall semester starting next week it might take awhile. The lights will show the interiors much better. Until then; thanks for any and all comments.

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Superb workmanship and modeling. I know it has been said previously but it is really appreciated the time and effort you have put in to share these pictures with us.

There are some spectacular images of this diorama that I keep going back to and staring at.

Thank you for sharing your masterpiece and accomplishment with us.

Karl.A
  • Dave you are very talented. As Karl said, thanks from all of us for taking the time to share your wonderful diorama with your fellow modelers. Much appreciated.
  • Dave thanks for all the pictures. You sure have done a beautiful job on this. The little scenes perfect.
    You should be really proud of this diorama.

Jerry
  • Dave, I can only echo what everyone has said. Masterpiece, fantastic, wonderful, true work of art. I have picked up a lot of ideas from the pictures you have shared with us. I can only hope to use these ideas and have them come out as well as your work.

Again, thanks.

Dave
  • You gave us so many ideas for us to use. Thnks for posting all the pictures.
  • Dave,
    It is good to see how you have brought so many individual kits into a town like scene. We must encourage you to create a similarly inspired waterfront ensemble incorporating Brett's kits.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Coming from a very small town in northern Michigan all of your very kind comments mean more than contest awards. Sharing these photos is the least I can do in gratitude. I owe a lot to Brett for designing such great kits and creating this web site for all to learn, get ideas from and be inspired by. I also want to thank Elliot M and Mike E as the photos of their work is what motivated me to build this diorama. I'm now working on getting lights in the structures and "dirtying up" the entire town. The photos point out the areas that need further detailing and vegetation. In ref to John's suggestion for a waterfront scene I have Brett's ShipYard and have an area about 10 feet long to fill with a wharf. I will be forced to use more than SW kits to populate the scene but my SW kits will be the focal point. Thanks again and I look forward to any and all critiques and questions of the diorama and being involved with this forum.

Dave
  • I am encouraged to hear your waterfront interest Dave, especially with your creativity integrating the various kits. Specifically, I have the Shipyard, Foss, Shelbys, Delwins and soon to arrive Blue Sky. I would really like to see a master plan to create a scenario such as you have already done with your present work. I first asked Brett about the possibility of a small run of those kits and when he indicated the impracticality, I made inquiries and found them to my great delight!

Again, thank you for your involvement here.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi John; Currently I'm checking eBay for SW kits with out any luck. I have water front craftsman kits from five manufactures that are being planned for the 10 foot long area. Now that Deer Creek is almost done (I'm working on the things previously listed) the water front is next. As classes start next week and I do work slowly and also have a layout to work on I anticipate it will take 2-3 years to complete the entire 10 feet. That's OK because I'm semi-retired, not in a hurry and do enjoy the planning and building process. Next month we'll start our weekly round robin operating sessions so life is great. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Email me if you would like.

Dave
  • Dave,

I have had daily eBay notifications in place for several months to no avail. Inquiries in the FOR SALE section of various forums hit pay dirt overnight.

Thank you for the proffer of assistance.

John
  • Dave,

I took a few minutes to carefully scan your photos and I like what I see. As someone has said before, the outside shots in the sun do justice to your fine diorama. It surely looks like one could step out into the pictures and be part of the scene. Stunning diorama and stunning photography. Congratulations on your awards!
  • Joe we can never have enough build threads going. I for one am keen to see you do one.

I hope the resin walls get sorted out.
  • Joe,

I am very pleased to see you joining us and truly hope you would be willing to begin a thread to show us what you are doing. I am very new at this and am fascinated on a daily basis seeing the work you folks do. Your input would be a great asset to us all.

Please consider becoming active.

Respectfully,
    John Maguire
    Seattle
  • I just joined the Sierra West forum and am reading through all the past threads when I stumbled upon your magnificent diorama. Beautiful detailing, weathering and aging. Thank you for posting all the wonderful pictures of all your work. And like you, I have a waterfront diorama in mind/planning stages. Not near as grand as yours, more along the lines of 2' x 4', but using as many of Brett's kits as I can find. I already have the Shipyard at Foss' Landing and a no frills version of Shelby's Marine Service along with BIS Tidewater Wharf. Foss' Landing and RSM's Delwins Boat and Net Storage will round out the scene. Hope you can get to your waterfront diorama and publish some progress pictures here.
  • It's great revisitng builds in older threads - I'd forgotten how fantastic this diorama is. Especially with the outside shots it looks so real - and to think it's HO!
  • I really like this dio. I am looking forward to close ups. Thanks for sharing Dave.