visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Cleveland NMRA Convention Contest entry

edited July 2014 in HO Scale Builds
Dustin posted this and several other photos earlier in the week of this model that was in the contest room last week at the National NMRA convention in Cleveland. http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=607.0 Does anyone know who built the SWSM diorama, and how it fared?

It looks to be at least 2x4 ft., and includes some of Main Street, Essentials, and the Loco and Car Shops and Donkey Repair Yard. Also a building under construction. The model looks well done from what I can see.

Comments

• Nice diorama. Maybe it'll show up on Kansas City at the NNGC.

Jaime
  • very cool! any close-ups?
  • I have no idea who built that dio... would love to see some bigger pics?
  • Jeff Schultz posted some photos of this diorama on the MRH site towards the bottom of the first page at this link:
    http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/18576
  • Thanks - I was wondering about bigger pics too
  • That's impressive.
  • I now know who this mystery person is! I am waiting to hear back from him as i have directed him here to see our discussion but in the meantime he won three awards at the nat'l for this impressive dio. In his own partially edited words:

"Hi Brett; I have been waiting for a sunny non windy day to take some photos but the weather has not broke for a week. The NMRA convention in Cleveland was very kind to us. I say us because you created the structures, you put the building materials in the box and you designed the instruction manual. We won 2nd place in diorama's. The non NMRA judges awarded the diorama two specialty awards that say a lot. The first was the “Mt. Albert Scale Lumber Company Award” for outstanding use of scale lumber. The other was the “Martha M Newberry Award” for ‘Scale Structure Excellence’.

The diorama is 29” X 59” and has the five kits I purchased from you over the last two years. I have three tracks, a standard, a narrow and a dual gauge. There are also two engines,a bobber caboose, two narrow gauge flat cars, one narrow gauge box car, two autos, 8 trucks, 78 people, 9 dogs, 2 cats and a pesky raccoon. That with your 24 structures make for a great logging camp."

Cool stuff!!!!
  • Excellent news for an excellent diorama, I hope the weather breaks soon so we can enjoy more pictures of this fantastic diorama.
    Congratulations on the awards !!

Karl.A
  • I look forward to and hope he joins us here . . .

John
  • Hi everyone; my name is Dave and I had the pleasure of constructing the Deer Creek Diorama shown here. I'm currently using Bill's tutorial on how to load photos. I plan to put many closeups for you all to comment on so I can continue working on the dio. As you know the photos show detail flaws that I can improve on. There are now lights in all the buildings which will help show the interior details. Although I have won regional and national awards with kits from other manufactures these SW kits are, as you know, simply the best. Brett designed the Logging Camp with four of his kits but I could not leave out the "Railroad Camp" as I felt it just fit too well. So I did some rearranging and have all five on the dio. The best part is that after the enjoyment of building the kits, designing the dio layout, taking it to the show, taking hundreds of photos now I have it on my layout to enjoy and improve on for years to come. I'm going to be gone for the next week but will 'with Bill's help' figure out the photo posting and look forward to your comments so I can continue to improve the diorama. Thank you in advance and I look forward to joining this forum.
  • From one Dave to another, welcome. Glad to have you on the forum. Have really enjoyed the photos I have seen of your dio. Look forward to seeing close ups and more of your dio.

Dave
  • Glad you are with us now. I like your work that I have seen.
  • Oh boy Dave, I can't wait. Have a safe trip and please keep your eye on all of us here. We can hardly wait until you return . . . .

Respectfully,
    John
    Seattle
  • Dave a beautiful job. Looking forward to seeing it up close.

Jerry
  • Welcome Dave! I have a CD Dave sent filled with wonderful pictures of his award winning dio.... I will eventually get these in the gallery.
  • Here are three overall views for me to see if they will post. More to come
  • I'll see if I can post Dave's pics. If not Bill will have to get off the river and skip water skiing long enough to fix it. I'm just eager to see which kits were used in this big diorama. Mine only used four in a 2x4 area.

• Thanks Mike. That is surely one of finest diorama's we've seen using Brett's kits. Once again beautiful work Dave.

Jerry
  • Dave, so glad you decided to post here and welcome. Really fantastic diorama and you have done some serious work here! Love the first picture outside with the shadows...nicely, nicely done...look forward to more. Ken
  • Dave & Mike,

That is a true work of art. Dave, please - please post here. We need your input and we need to see what is being done to continue stoking the fire in the rest of us . . .

Respectfully,
    John
    Seattle
  • Thanks Mike it looks like they can be seen. I'll start with three at a time of the close ups. They are not in any order so bear with me and I hope everyone feels free to comment on what ever they see that needs work on. As I have said I've put lights in the structures and now will start working on cleaning up the details. I'm still not sure about the way I'm posting these but will continue trying.

Dave
  • Here are three more and if these work then I'll try 6 at a time. Making Brett's kits are fun but photographing them is also a pleasure.

Dave
  • Well that didn't work so I'll try again

Dave
  • OK so how do I get them from Attachments to posting them?

Dave
  • Last three until I figure this out

Dave
  • Dave, there is an "insert" beside the attachment. You first load "attach" the file, then insert it into the posting.

Marty
  • Thanks Marty; I'll give it a try

Daveimage
  • Yippee! I can see one pic. You can now go back and edit the other posts to "insert" the photos.
  • Thanks Marty; it worked so here we go with some photos

Daveimageimageimageimageimage