visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Cleveland NMRA Convention Contest entry

Comments

• Well now I've got them doubled up; I'm sure I'll get this figured out so I'll try another set

Daveimageimageimageimageimage
  • OK; that set seemed to go with out a problem. One more set for all to comment on for now

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I'm glad you've solved the posting thing Dave, as your photos show off some great modeling. Thanks for all the close-ups. Now we can see what array of kits were involved. I like the way you incorporated the elements of "Railroad Camp" into your diorama. Looking forward to more of your work!
  • Stunning work Dave.

Glad you posting your work here.
  • Very nice ! You made it feel like a busy logging camp.
  • Let me say that I am another one who is glad to have you posting your work here. Very, very nice, indeed. So much to look at, and all so well done. More pics?

Dave
  • Great job. thanks for sharing
  • I do have more photos that I will share for every ones thoughts and maybe to get some ideas from.

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • As you view these please feel free to make improvement comments as that is what I will be working on for the next few months. Thanks

daveimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Last set for today. A big thank you to Mike for helping me with the postings.

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Dave,

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Steve
  • Very nice indeed! I have been hanging out for these pics.

Just wondering where the HO scale LP were bought from ?

John.
  • edited August 2014
    Dave,

I love what you have done. There are tons of details in the diorama to keep the passer by busy. You must have spent years getting all those kits built.

You asked for ideas for improvement; well I'm not one to keep my trap shut...

I was a bit confused about the era the DIO is set in? (it looks like the mid 1920's?) Depending on that answer; the area may look too organized and clean. I figured since it was a logging camp it would be quite messy. Some the "junk" would look more disorganized. Vegetation would partially hide things. The grasses would be of different heights, etc. Buildings would look like there in the landscape, rather than on it. There are lots of electric wires on poles but I could not find a single feed to a structure, or any light fixtures that would use the electricity.

Don't take me in the wrong way, I'm extremely jealous that you have all the Logging Camp structures and they are build impeccably and in a Diorama! That is an amazing accomplishment for anyone and you have the initiative to take the huge diorama to a show. You should be very proud of what you have done; it is rather amazing! I would not be offended if you ignored my suggestions, after all you are way further ahead then I will be in 5 years.

Keep up the excellent work.

Marty

(PS: keep posting pictures I am soaking every bit of them up.)
  • Dave, thank you very very much for joining us and showing us your excellent work. Such is a valuable repository of ideas and creativity for new people like myself. Can you in some way give us an idea how much time you have invested in this. When you sit down to work, do you feel like you accomplish a lot or do you feel like you've barely done anything?
    What are you concentrating on now?
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi Marty; Thank you for your very kind comments; I'll try to answer your questions. I was looking at the 30's to 40's for an era, and now that I have the basics it is time to start junking up the whole dio with years of junk and undergrowth. The closeups show the areas that need it most. Lots of weeds, rusted up junk and old rotted wood. My last dio I made for our regional from two FSM multi structure kits that I had the electrical services to all buildings. I just ran out of time to feed all of these structures but I am working on it now along with LED lights in all buildings. I'm also looking into some working street lights. Please keep up the questions and comments as they will help all of us. And here are a few more photos to comment on.

Thanks

• Loving the pics Dave! I think the way you incorporated railroad camp into the scene is perfect.
  • Hi John; Thanks for the questions; I bought my first SW kit two years ago after the NMRA GR2012. I worked on the 5 kits until may of the year when I started the diorama construction. The size was determined by the following. The average tables at shows are 30" wide and my Tacoma pickup bed is 60" long, so the dio was made on 2" styrofoam 29" X 59" plus I had an area on my layout that it would fit. Maybe not the best design for a dio but it was big enough for all the kits to fit. As I said to Marty I did take off some time to make a 24"X24" dio of two FSM kits for our NMRA regional last November, otherwise I worked pretty regularly on these kits. As I am semiretired I have more time now and can spend maybe an average of 10-15 hours a week on my kits. I am not the fastest and do take extra time that others will work faster on. I have a rather large layout that does take an equal amount of time. I hope this helps and look forward to any other questions I may answer. Here is another set of photos to look at.

• Hi Brett; Thank you for your comment; Your approval of my dio arrangement with the Railroad Camp means a lot. I hope that the forum will give ideas to the members.

Dave
  • Hi John; I would like to answer your question but you will have to elaborate on what you mean about HO Scale "LP" ?

Dave
  • "LP" is little people...
  • Pictures are great Dave, I'm really enjoying them, I also like the way RRC was divided and fit in around the dio, really nice work and a great accomplishment.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Brett; Now I know what "LP" are. Mine come mostly from Woodland Scenic, Preiser, Walthers and others as I have found them over the years.

Hi Karl.A; I was hoping to hear from you as I have followed your postings a lot. I appreciate your comments and kind words.

As I have figured out the posting protocol here is the next set.

• messed up on 913
    I'll try again

Daveimage
  • Last set for now

Daveimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Dave,
    Thank you for answering my query about your modeling time. The continuation of pictures is very much appreciated by all, and especially me. Please continue and in particular keep us abreast of your current progress.
    John
  • still have to read this thread but the pictures say enough, what a great layout.
    Great work

DJ
  • Wow. more beutiful pics. Id love to see some layout pics. Do you have a link to where I can see it?
  • Just curious, given the size of the incinerator stack in the RRC is there any support bracing for that (guy wires, etc.)?

Mike
  • Dave, thanks for all the great photos- great modeling and thanks for all the ideas. Looks like many of the pics were taken outdoors, or did you use a backdrop photo, or a combination?

I have a question for you about the Donkey Repair Yard part of the diorama. I am working on incorporating a similar scene into my own "Logging Camp", and I don't understand the methodology used. Your scene shows several loggers working on a freshly cut log or "pickle" that presumably was just unloaded by the 60' crane, and I guess they are cutting it into the lumber for the rebuilt donkey framing or for the runners or skids.

In my case there is a very nearby sawmill that I think would at least rough cut the log into lumber, and probably be the source of the materials needed by the DR Yard. Or even an off-stage planing mill. My only knowledge of logging comes from building these kits and trying to research them from the net and a few books I've acquired.

So I'm wondering what your "story" is for what's going on there? I know all of these dios are to some extent caricatures but I like to at least maintain credibility in my own mind. I know many on this forum have built the kit, so there are probably many "correct" answers.

• Hi MikeM; The kit did not have any guy wires designed so I built it as is. I'm sure they would not be out of place if you have the room to put them in and look good too.

Hi Mike E; All of the photos were shot outside. As to the donkey yard I did not get into the "story" that deep. My guys are cutting the logs for the looks of the dio. These logs would probably have been cut at a saw mill prior to delivery. I liked the guys working on them with all the wood chips laying around.

Here is the next set of photos. Hope they help everyone to look at and plan their dios as to what they do and don't want to do.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage