visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Quincy Salvage

Comments

• Mike-
    I believe those are going to be too thick and not scale correctly. The size I see listed is 10mm. The stuff I'm using is less than .5mm. The thicknesses are .011" and .018". You want micro thin printable veneer without paper backing. Here's a close up of a sheet...cut them to width length wise; then cross cut with a pair a scissors.

And I know what you're thinking: "how can he hold the piece in one hand cut it out with the other and still snap a picture?" It's all fake:

• DAMN. That place needs some seroius TLC.

Keep up the great work Bill.
  • edited September 2013
    The shingles give your builds a lot of personality and make them very unique! Very cool!

Jim
  • I don't know how I will get to see this at the Expo if you are taking the time to sit around cutting individual cedar shakes for your model.

Bill, this is some really outstanding modeling, and some truly innovative weathering techniques. I went through the entire thread today and this is some great stuff.

• The other challenge will be the vehicles. I'm going to need LOTS of them in various stages of disintegration. I've never built a single Jordan so why not dive in and build a dozen or two!!
    There was a guy on RRLine who did a thread on building ten Jordans at once. He is in a nice home somewhere, but hasn't been heard from since.
  • edited September 2013
    Ahhhhh MR Runner! You got me pegged: sitting around making slow forward progress--just like those Vikings of yours! (Now watch, the Gophers will probably hand it to my Hawkeyes this weekend)
    Jim & Wes--good to hear from you. Let's see if I can get this roof to look like it's gotta be leaking!

Okay, with all the texture scribed in, I add some color using only chalks. Start with a bunch of mostly raw umber (408.5 & a little 408.7) plus some burnt umber 409.5. There's no magic formula as to exactly which colors or how much of each. Stick with these earthy tones and you really can't do it wrong! I throw on the powder liberally, push them around a little with a make up brush, then scrub them into the grain (up and down) with a stiff stencil brush. I then flood the roof with a medium solution of A/I and wash it all into the shingles really well. I think using A/I rather than straight alcohol makes the roof look older and rotting. Since the shed is modeled in disrepair, the roof will match the age of the walls (which is finished but no pics posted yet).

Next, a few highlights of gold ochre, yellow ochre, a couple spots of olive green and a touch of gray (adds to the look of decay) With a top to bottom motion, those also get blended in with A/I. Then I let the whole mess dry and evaluate the colors. I'll go back and add more chalks to break up unnatural patterns or to just balance out and tone down the colors a little. Wash with alcohol again and let it dry.

Once it's completely dry, it's time to dry brush. This will tone the colors down even more and tie them all together. It also adds a little "pop" to the shingles. I used a dark gray, followed by a couple light tans (acrylics) for the dry brushing.

By the way, here's a roof from the Twin Mills that was made to look less old and run down compared to this one. The difference is I used straight alcohol, mostly lighter raw umber (408.7) and fewer colors (no green and much less burnt umber and yellow ochre)

Next, I'll get back in order and do the walls. I got a few Jordan trucks assembled, too.
  • Roof looks great Bill, you just cant beat the look of individual shingles, and you have done them so well.

Karl.A
  • Stunning work Bill. As usual, no surprises just steady greatness. Keep it coming.
  • Bill, Really nice tutorial on shingling and detailing a roof, awesome job. The colors and weathering are just gorgeous. So as far as you know, no reliable source for the material you use for the shingles? You mentioned the stuff you saw (cooking strips I think you said) was likely too thick. Ken
  • edited October 2013
    Karl, Joel and Ken--thanks for the nice words and encouragement.

Getting back to the walls on the storage shed. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, the sripwood was colored using black shoe dye with a hint of blue (Dr. Ph Martins Blue India ink). I think the proportions were 1 drop of blue for every 10 drops of Angelus Jet Black leather dye with alcohol. Some strips I let soak for a while; others got a quick in-n-out bath and that was it.

Once dry, I opted to use the toothpick method for creating knot holes. Both Karl & Joel have spelled out the way to do:
    http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/vanforum/discussion/119/306-railroad-camp-o-scale-part-one/p2
    http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/vanforum/discussion/283/joels-lineside-shed/p1

Try Joel's tip on dying the toothpicks in mass to save a step. Also, I'd recommend going real easy on sanding the backs of the knots. It needs to be done in order for the strips to lay flat against the cardstock but they pop out with hardly any effort even when the glue is fully dried. That being said, here are the strips ready to be laid up on the cardstock:

I drew pencil lines to help keep the joints consistent. Those are 5 scale feet up from the bottom and 5 scale feet down from the top. It's a bit hard to see, but I left just a tiny gap between each board and joint (about the thickness of an exacto).

After all the boards are in place, it's a simple process of cutting each wall free from the cardstock (careful as to not slice off the stripwood trap on the side walls) then trim them to exact size. It may be worth mentioning that, other than window and door openings, I rarely use an exacto for cutting out walls. A single edge blade works just as well for me and they're cheaper. I change out blades constanly so and I feel less guilty tossing out a 5 cent straight edge blade verses a 25 cent #11. Here are the walls cut off the card material...

Next, I added the windows, doors and trim followed by 3 light layers of drybrushing: raw umber, Barnwood and a light gray--all acrylic craft paint. Once happy with the color, I added the signs and assembled the walls followed by the roof. I chose to leave the white dry transfer decal off the side wall. I've got an idea for a little scene with a tire rack and parts stand that will most likely block the lettering.

For the little walkway, I made wear marks in the "traffic" area by shaving the board edges slightly--similar to how I scraped the edges of the barn siding. After gluing them in place and letting them dry, I went over the walk with steel wool. A little A/I touched on both edges tied everything together.

I found some HO scale license plates that some guy posted for free on his website:
    http://www.highlandsstationllc.com/images/PDFs/HO Scale License Plates.pdf
    Here's an O scale version for you bigger scale guys:
    http://www.highlandsstationllc.com/images/PDFs/O Scale License Plates.pdf

The roof looks much more brown and new in natural light than I anticipated, but I'm satisfied with the color match I got under layout lights. One thing I struggled with is the moss on the roof. Several of the reference pictures I looked at show it growing in the outline of the shakes like this:

But, this may be one of those things where the prototype doesn't translate very well on a model.

That's all for now...castings are drying as I type.
    Bill
  • Love the knotholes and the moss - particularly the painstaking attention to detail of having the moss grow only where there is a crack. Also not shaving or sanding down the knots makes some of the boards pop out slightly and you get a great effect of individual boards. Kinda like when Brett put varying thicknesses of siding into the original Blue Sky.
  • Bill,
    You are a master at birthing a build that's all your own and has such personal touches. The custom shingles...well we've already drooled over those on the main barn. The moss is really nice I particularly love the side with the signs as the moss has grown in and around the damaged roof where water and rot would have set in and looks so natural there. The other corner on the side without signs..mmm..but still looks good. Siding color is awfully nice. I also like Joel thoughts on the irregular siding thickness, two birds with...you know. Thanks for the link to the HO license plates. Good to have a parts bin with some of those. Ken
  • Hi Bill,
    Really great explanation with the pictures you posted. Ken and Joel really sum things up with the personal touches you do that make each of your builds very unique. The overall look with the moss and knot holes is superb. I am courious how you knew to mix the colors you did for the board color and how you know what works well for dry brushing. Do you try things out first to see how it looks or just go for it ? For me mixing colors is very challenging and honestly I don't know how to begin the process. It is a step in the modeling process I want to work on. I probably need a class called modelling for the color challenged 101 and have you teach it!
    Jim Richards
  • Wonderful... simply wonderful!
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Jim-
    Understandable that mixing colors can be a challenge. Initially, i didn't know what to mix or experiment with. I simply followed the instructions in the Sierra West manual exactly. And I really mean that literally. My first kit of any kind was Essentials. There are pictures posted in the "finished SW build pics" and those are the results following the manual. However, if I were to build it again using the exact same recipes...it probably wouldn't look exactly the same. And that's good! You wouldn't want all your building to look alike. Subtle variations in dilution, application, length of soaking time and even the batch of strip wood can account for a different look.

So arriving at using blue with the black ink is something I read about somewhere. I read on another forum about using gun blueing--the stuff used on gun barrels to protect them--as a coloring method. Then I found a list of different recipes that Mike Chambers wrote (I'll post the link to that). From there it became a bunch of experimenting using coffee stirs. I mixed a batch using x drops of black with 1 drop of blue and some alcohol. Take 4 or 5 strips and soak them for different lengths of time, let dry and evaluate. Too light or not gray enough? Add them for another soak to make it darker; add a bit more blue to see if it gets grayer. Then I informally kept track:

(The weeds have nothing to do with this) In the upper right you can see my "notes": 10 drops of black ink, 2 drops of blue and a 1/2 ounce of alcohol. There's also a note to remind myself that the particular batch of stirs was dipped in the solution 3 times.

Also, if I see the results somebody got on a wall or a batch of wood, I'll ask them to explain what they used and how. Then I'll try it and see if I can get close. Other times I simply have no idea if it looks "correct". If you go to the section in the Twin Mills build where I'm working on the roof for both the dynamite shack and the corrugated mill roof...I knew I did something wrong, didn't know what exactly, and needed people to look at it with fresh eyes and help find some things to try in order to change the look.

With dry brushing...it's pretty much the same thing. Most guys use a similar combination of colors that I used...I just liked the results using those particular three colors. I should add too, that many times I post the exact shade of chalk I used for something (gold ochre 231.3 let's say) not just to share but primarily for my own reference--the thread becomes my own "recipe box".

So, the short answer to your question is yes, simple experimenting and trial and error. But it starts by just giving it a shot. If you get stuck, Brett is extremely helpful! This is the absolute truth: My first SW kit I had to call and ask him which 'stuff' do you use to thin Floquil paints--alcohol or dio-sol? I just couldn't grasp the difference! I felt awful for wasting his time with a total newbie question. His response? Don't feel bad! His experience, knowledge and help are part of what you pay for when you buy one of his kits.

Don't know where to begin? Try some of the stain recipes in Brett's manual. Don't get fancy. Just follow the directions EXACTLY. If you're beyond that stage in your modeling, stray a little from his recipes, take notes on what you mixed, take pictures, and share your results here--good and bad! That's how you'll get better. At the end of the day, it may not be the perfect result or the exact look you were hoping for but...does it look better than when it was sitting unassembled in the box?

Hope that answers your questions a little. If not, I'd be glad to try to explain more.
    Bill

Here are the links to Mike Chambers' articles on staining strip wood. This is an excellent series of articles geared exactly toward your question(s):

http://pnr.nmra.org/3div/Staining_Stripwood.pdf
    http://pnr.nmra.org/3div/Weathering_Stripwood.pdf
    http://pnr.nmra.org/3div/Inking_Stripwood.pdf<;
  • Thanks Brett--
    Glad you like it. I think this is going to turn out really well and I can't wait for you to see it. Probably ain't gonna happen by the Expo, but I promise it'll be worth the wait. I still am kicking around an idea for where to place a third structure, but I'm not "seeing" it. I'll run some ideas by you early next week.
  • edited October 2013
    A very big thank you Bill. Your explanations for my questions was extremely helpful and clear. I am finishing Essentials and totally agree the manuals are absolutely perfect ( I will be keeping them as part of a library for future reference). I have been following Bretts instructions to the letter and have results that I am very proud of and have learned a ton. When I am done the next step will try out the camera for the next build. I am always asking questions since I have no one to learn from locally. The forum here has been a marvelous resource to learn from and I appreciate everyone here. Brett has been great about calling and asking questions about how to do something when I have been stuck. Thanks for the many great pictures and explanations, it really helps us grow as modelers. Your right his kits look fantastic built and not in the box on a shelf.
    Jim Richards
  • edited October 2013
    I spent some time getting started on the Jordan's that will populate this little scene and messed around with different weathering techniques. The Mack truck was primed rust color then when dry, misted with hairspray. After that dried I gave it a coat of a pale yellow acrylic using an airbrush. Next, I used a stiff brush and a little water to get the chipping paint effect. The water dissolves the hairspray under the acrylic allowing it to "chip" off. From there I decided to try using oil paints to further weather the surface. Oils give you a whole new level of texture and control. The trade off is that they take a LONG time to dry. A week is not uncommon--in fact these may still be wet. I'm not sure if the finish will become less glossy or if I'll have to hit the surface with dull cote. The ice truck wasn't painted at all. That's just the molded plastic color dulled down with oils. The colors I used were burnt umber and burnt sienna.

I also started working on the castings. The brick wall was colored with Floquil box car red, grimy black and some daylight orange muted with a little black. Once dry, I used an acrylic gray for the mortar. I wet the casting first with a mist of wet water so that it was damp, then thinned the gray a LOT (probably 5-10 drops of water to 1 drop of paint). If you touch your brush to the damp casting, the wet water will "pull" the paint mostly into the brick lines. Some will get on the surface of the bricks, but that looks pretty natural to me--kind of looks like lime leaching out of the brick plus it dulls the bricks down making them look older. I need to give them one more application as it looks like I lost some of the definition in the lines as the gray dried.

The concrete walls were painted first with Floquil concrete then, when cured, thinned Floquil Depot Buff. I ran into an issue with that step as the thinner started removing the concrete color down to the tinted resin. I'm guessing it really wasn't cured all the way...who knows. I fooled around with so many other things I can't remember exactly how I got to the final color of the wall. I tried some Polly paint, some chalk, some other paint, and on and on. Once I hit on a color that looked okay, I let the whole thing dry then weathered with AK enamels. I used a really dark track wash, a brown rust wash, and a lighter orange rust wash. You start by applying the dark streaks, let them dry for a few minutes, then remove some with a clean brush and white spirit. (I don't know what the difference is between white spirit and mineral spirits but it seemed to work well). The white spirit removes some of the paint and also thins and blends the paint left behind. I repeated with the brown the the light orange in a few areas.

More castings to come!
    Bill
  • The colouring is superb! Nice subtle tones. Can't wait to see it.
  • Bill nice job on those trucks. Brick and concrete walls great coloring.

Jerry
  • Stunning work- every bit. I love your approach- a bit of research, envision it, a couple tests, then go for it! The water damage weathering and shake roof details in particular are so convincing. Love the concrete wall too. I've found some thin cedar veneer in a local store which I'm going to use for new shakes (O Scale) but probably too thick for HO. I'm a bit of a nervous nelly when it comes to cutting out signs- I've also experimented with using Microscale sign decals set with Micro-sol on various painted boards or very thin styrene sheet material as per Chuck D. Thanks again for posting the build process- it's great when people take the time to do this.
  • Billy, the coloring on the trucks, and that of the brick and concrete walls is absolutely incredible. I've read how you did it twice, but your secret is safe from me as I don't get it.

But do pick up the pace since I want to see this in my lifetime. I'm kidding, I know you will have it at the Expo. Can't wait.
  • edited October 2013
    Superb colouring of the concrete wall Bill, the tones, colours, blending, textures all look incredible, fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing this in person to examine it more closely.

The brickwork also has a most natural feel and tone to it beginning to show through.

Karl.A
  • Joel, Jerry, James, Mike and Karl--
    I appreciate you following along and your comments.
    James--I'll be interested to see how you make out with the shakes. The add so much to the final look that you'll probably never go back to laser cut. And wait til you see the reaction you get from viewers when you tell them you applied them one by one! Make sure to post some pictures for us.
    Mike--I apologize for the 'text only' approach that I posted with those items. I've been rather lax in my picture taking lately. I could blame it on the wife swiping the camera but, nah...I've been lazy!
    Which parts specifically need clarification and I'll try to explain. I've got many more Jordan's to build so I'll be able to take pictures then. The walls are done so I'll have to verbally explain. Or, how bout we work on a few at the Expo?
    Karl--the detail in that little brick wall is really nice. Makes it easy to see where colors, highlights, shadows, etc. should go. The concrete sections are also rich in splits and cracks--a lot of fun to work with and experiment on.
  • Hi Bill,
    The rust effects on the Jordans give a great illusion of a really old rusted and worn out vehicle.
    The walls look fantastic too lots of personality in those castings.
    I am really looking foward to seeing more of the build and more great modeling!
    Jim
  • Bill, Great tutorial on the concrete treatment. I'll be riding your coat tails on this one as I just primed Duluth's concrete castings and will be weathering them up shortly. Yours turned out superb! Ken
  • Bill, your work is amazing, pic's and descriptions (tutorials) are perfect. Are you planning a work session at the Expo ...? sounds like a great idea.

Paul
  • Bill, I am new to the forum and trying to get caught up on all of these great builds. I have already realized that, in my humble opinion, you are right at the top. Love this build of Quincy's. Your attention to detail is inspiring, to say the least. I do have a question if you would consider an answer. Can you advise a source for the cedar that you use to make those fantastic shingles? I would like to give this a try. Thanks

David
  • Thanks for the nice words, David. Just sent you a pm.
  • Bill, I finally caught up reading thus build. I now have new repository of techniques to try on the next structure.

Thanks.
    /Marty